A troublesome LAN card

Hi,

I have a Realtek 8169 LAN card and I simply cannot find a way to connect to the internet. Whenever I ping my gateway (modem/router) I get no response. I have tried a couple of versions of drivers, but this didn’t help. I know that this chipset is really troublesome, but I also think it might be a faulty card. Is there a way to check if the card is a faulty without connecting it to a LAN?

if im not mistaking you should configure the tcp/ip settings of the lan card properly for that read the routers manual and also maybe you should allow it in the firewall

if im not mistaking you should configure the tcp/ip settings of the lan card properly

Have done that already.

maybe you should allow it in the firewall

Have done that as well.

It is a little bit more complicated then what you have suggested.

Go to Control Panel/Network Connections, and it should show Local Area Connection, with a status. Mine shows CONNECTED. What does it display when you look there…

It shows CONNECTED.

I tell you, this isn’t very simple. All the settings are set, all the LAN leds show all is fine, but I get no response when pinging my gateway. I can guarantee that router/modem is working perfectly, the cable and the connector are not damaged.

Have you configured your router/modem by entering it’s ip address and running the configuration utility?

Start -> Run -> cmd
ipconfig /all

What have we got?

Actually, if you have configured your router/modem, next step is to do “ipconfig /release”, then “ipconfig /renew”. Then see if you can connect.

The router/modem is configured (I do not have access to it).

Actually, if you have configured your router/modem, next step is to do “ipconfig /release”, then "ipconfig /renew

I have a static IP and my ISP does not use DHCP, so I do not think these two commands can help in any way.

what about that one it really might be helpfull with understanding the problem do it and copy & paste

Give the ipconfig /all a test and copy back what you’ve got for us all to see… A friend had a similar problem not too long ago where his computer kept wanting a 169.254.xx.xx IP address.

Give the ipconfig /all

I do understand that you only want to help me, but I would not like to post my real ip publicly. What am I supposed to look for in ipconfig /all?

P.S. I do use the very same ethernet cable with my desktop (it actually works). The only difference between ipconfig /all on the mentioned desktop and the the one with 8169 LAN card is the Physical adress.

Well, I do think it’s a configuration issue! First of all, if you have a router, it’s more than likely performing a nat translation to the outside internet. Your static IP from your ISP should be given to the wan interface of the router, and if you have another puter that can connect using this router, then that is OK. Now your router should be handing out DHCP addresses in a private network range (192.168.x.x), your desktop should show this when you run the ipconfig /all command. If so, then that means you have improperly configured the puter with the realtek lan card with a static IP that isn’t on the same network as the gateway. Hence the reason your newly installed NIC does not function. SO, set the offending puter to obtain an IP automagically, then ipconfig /release (will probably come up with an error), then ipconfig /renew. That should solve your “problem”. You are welcome to fart around with a non translatable address and scratch your head all day though. :iagree:

Realtek is known to produce “shit” in the first place so why don’t you try another network card?
//Danne

can you ping the card and get a response… ping 127.0.0.1
also make sure its set to auto negotiate and check the modes under half duplex/full duplex
if possible try this card in a different PC, or a different card in your PC, atw orst the card is bad and NIC’s are dirt cheap nowadays, unless they are wireless

Well, if that is indeed true, that means you have 2 puters with the same IP, and that WON"T WORK! So, If your IP isn’t 192.168.x.x, your puter is actually configured with a public IP. Which means there is no NAT taking place, and you’ll need to have a second IP provisioned from your ISP, or enable NAT on your modem/router. Even though most ISPs don’t tell you how to access the configuration stuff in your modem/router, you can find documentation online on how to get in there and tinker with settings. I setup my friend’s 2 wire home gateway SBC gave him, and it works with multiple puters just fine. You’ll just have to get the info on how to do this. I would enable NAT (if your modem really has routing functions) because you’ll be charged for a second IP from your isp, and it’s an extra layer of security for your puter. I’d much rather have NAT now that I understand how it works fully, and can host game servers through the router. It’s difficult to figure out how to open ports and stuff at first on a router, but the security it gives, and conveinience of being able to have as many puters as I like connected to the net without being charged $5 each is WELL WORTH IT!!! Plus every time I have another machine I don’t have to call the ISP and provision it, and if I have friends over, they can just connect to the switch. It makes things a lot easier, you can leave file and printer sharing open in the firewall without concern that the whole dang world has access to your hard drives! Sorry aout the sarcastic post earlier, I just get a little agravated when people don’t seem open to help when they’re asking for it! :rolleyes:

Couldn’t agree more here. Every computer/device have to have it’s own IP or the whole thing cannot work. Most router/modems can do more than you’d expect from them, especially in the security area. I’m happy that I’ve bought a Netgear one. :wink:

Thanks for all of your answers.

Now your router should be handing out DHCP addresses in a private network

I do not think this router uses DHCP, because I do not use any of the automatic settings. Secondly, the IP I set in my TCP/IP settings is actually the one that the outside world sees.

Realtek is known to produce “shit” in the first place so why don’t you try another network card

Well, it’s a laptop you see and besides it’s integrated. If all fails, I will buy a PC Card ethernet adapter, but that’s my last resort.

can you ping the card and get a response… ping 127.0.0.1
also make sure its set to auto negotiate and check the modes under half duplex/full duplex

Yeah, I can ping my card without any problems. I have also checked the duplex modes.

Well, if that is indeed true, that means you have 2 puters with the same IP

I’m sorry, perhaps I haven’t made myself clear. I do not use this connection simultaniously with both computers: it’s just one or the other (and since the ip’s are not assigned automatically, it’s not a problem).

I’ll try playing with the DHCP stuff, but I seriously doubt it will get me anywhere.

OK, one thing confuses me…

Do you have a modem/router (as in an all in one as some DSL companies now do) or do you have a seperate modem and router connected to each other. This makes a huge difference.

What O/S are you running?

Have you tried connecting directly if they are seperate, to see if you can access the web, and to alleviate the idea that the NIC is broken.

Do you have a modem/router (as in an all in one as some DSL companies now do) or do you have a seperate modem and router connected to each other

It’s a single modem/router (don’t know the model though).

What O/S are you running?

Win XP Pro SP2.

Have you tried connecting directly if they are seperate

They are not separate as I have mentioned.