A tree branch from home

vbimport

an old friend is sending me a Canada Red Cherry tree branch from a particular place overseas we’ve had a lot of memory of, i was wondering what to use as a proper long term storage solution for the branch and the leafs, i don’t plan on taking it out nor flaunting it all about on the streets i only want to keep it nice and clean in storage so i can look at it from time to time. are there any ways to maintain a clean and proper keeping of the branch?
thank you so much for all the help.:kiss:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/fruit/bla01s00.html

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/tree/chkechrry.htm

Seems that thing is poisonous!

You could spray it with a shellac, that would preserve for a while.

Don’t let George Washington near it

It’s probably against the law for you to do this.
There are good reasons it is.
The chestnut blight fungus, Cryphonectria parasitica (formerly Endothia parasitica), virtually eliminated the once-widespread American chestnut tree.

The chestnut blight was accidentally introduced to North America around 1900-1908, either through imported chestnut lumber or through imported chestnut trees. In 1905, American mycologist William Murrill studied the disease, isolated and described the fungus responsible (which he named Diaporthe parasitica), and proved by inoculation into healthy plants that the fungus caused the disease.[1]

Dutch elm disease (DED) is a fungal disease of elm trees which is spread by the elm bark beetle. Although believed to be originally native to Asia, the disease has been accidentally introduced into America and Europe, where it has devastated native populations of elms which had not had the opportunity to evolve resistance to the disease. The name Dutch elm disease refers to its identification in the Netherlands in 1921; the disease is not specific to the Dutch Elm hybrid
United States

Certified arborist removing infected elm in Saint Paul, Minnesota.The disease was first reported in the United States in 1928, with the beetles believed to have arrived in a shipment of logs from the Netherlands destined for use as veneer in the Ohio furniture industry. The disease spread slowly from New England westward and southward, almost completely destroying the famous Elms in the ‘Elm City’ of New Haven, reaching the Detroit area in 1950 [9], the Chicago area by 1960, and Minneapolis by 1970.
I’m not saying the Canada Red Cherry tree branch you plan to have sent to you is infected with anything but you don’t know if it is or isn’t.
If it is a choke cherry there are native species in the USA. It may not have the same sentiment but should look the same.
At least check with the Agriculture department on the legality of having this shipped to you.

You make a good point cholla,how ever if the plant is already sent then the best thing to do is to either seal in some thing or destroy it.

@tomoyoafter, is this a real cherry ie: a Queen or a Bing, or a sour cherry, or is this the ornamental Cherry tree that just flowers.
the problem with common names for plants, is that there are many different plants with the same common name.
If it is a choke berry, then as cholla states, they can be found in the U.S.

I’m happy with “Morning Wood”. Though that can spread disease too.

such descriptive and informative replies, thank you all so much!

i swear i didn’t know it was poison, we’ve always had that tree there, i never knew, neither did he.

i remember it to be without berries and just red leaves, so perhaps it is a ornamental Cherry tree?

luckily my friend hasn’t sent it yet, i think i’ll ask him to pick another branch from a different tree that’s not poisonous, or would every plant life bring infectious bacteria and mutational diseases ?
thank you so much for the help!

@tomoyoafter , I don’t know what plants might or might not be harmful to import.That’s why I defer this to the agriculture department of the US.Like your county agent for what is probably the lowest contact.
I just posted a couple of examples I knew about . So you could see the possibilities of what can happen. The cherry tree branch you want may not do any harm at all.
I’m sure the chestnut & elm infections weren’t brought in on purpose but look at the damage they did.
A couple of live plant species that are a problem are Water hyacinth which came here as an aquarium plant & got out.
Kudzu which was started by the USDA & later found to grow out of control in the Southeastern USA.
Or you could just order a live one from a nursery in the USA.They are already here so probably won’t cause problems.If this looks like the tree you want a branch from:
http://plants.naturehills.com/search?w=Canada%20Red%20Cherry

Boy, you got that right about the Kudzu and Hyacinth cholla, the Hyacinth where I live is choking all the water ways into the arroyo, a terrible plant.

@ tomoyoafter if in deed the plant in question is the chokeberry, it is not poisonous. You can find it under the species of “Aronia” there are several cultivars that are quite beautiful.

These signs are pretty common around here…Bio Hazards are nothing to sneeze at…