A Thing That Worries Me (DVDSHRINK QUESTION)

vbimport

hi, i started using DVDshrink today and when i tried to rip the DVD, i was able to rip the whole DVD with all the menues, extras, etc and it can fit on a dvd.
The thing that worries me is that if i can get all this on a cd, would i lose a lot of quality?
I dont wanna burn something that is garbage quality so can someone please answer my question?
Thanks guys.

and another question,
what is a good compression rate to use???

The thing that worries me is that if i can get all this on a cd, would i lose a lot of quality?

Are you trying to burn to a cd or a dvd? DVDShrink will automatically try to fit your files onto a dvdr (4.7 gb), unless you change the settings in preferences to make a custom size dvd. If you can fit all of it onto a dvdr without compression, you can leave the settings on automatic, or you can use no compression.

On files that need compression, many people report good results up to 65 on the compression levels, though you have to use deep analysis to get good results. I personally like to keep it at 80 or above if at all possible.

ok so the more % of compression the better the quality?

The compression readings are a bit backward in Shrink. 100% in the right side window is actually no compression applied to the movie. And the more you move down the scale, 90%, 80%, etc., the more compression you get.

So yes, you do want to keep the percentage reading high if possible. The way to do this is by removing certain parts you may not want or need, such as subtitles, or foreign language audio tracks.

Go to dvdshrink.info and go through the action guides set up there. They are a good place to start. There are also some guides here at cdfreaks.

Originally posted by Kerry56
The compression readings are a bit backward in Shrink. 100% in the right side window is actually no compression applied to the movie. And the more you move down the scale, 90%, 80%, etc., the more compression you get.

The % tells you the size of the new movie in relation to the original. I know its basically the same thing as you described.

^ ^
I like your explanation better anyway. More concise.