A small question regarding the after effects of flashing a 111D to 111L

vbimport

After searching for a while, I came upon an awesome tutorial to flash my drive. Obviously, before I did flash my Pioneer 111D to 111L I burned a disk to see how it went, it burned perfectly and without problems.

I proceeded to flashing my 111D to 111L the steps I took were these:

1. Download TDB 8.16* INT, TDB 8.26* INT, TDB 8.29* INT.

2. Rebooted my computer, went into safe-mode and installed 8.16

3. Rebooted, went back to safe-mode to install 8.26

4. Rebooted, went once again back to safe-mode to install 8.29

5. I returned back to normal windows and went to DVDInfoPro to check the information, to see if my flashing was a success.

I set my burner as master, for the first time. Since most people are saying they get better results whenever their Pioneer-111D is set to master. So anyways, I checked to see if it was running on UDMA4 but it was only set to UDMA2, so I found out it was my ribbon cable, switched it with a 80 Ribbon Cable and now it finally reads as UDMA4.

It all works fine :smiley: … Now comes the newbie question, is it normal that whenever I go to “My Computer” it sees the Pioneer drive as “DVD-RAM” instead of the more popular “DVD-ROM” name?

I know with 111L flashed to the Pioneer 111D you get added features, like Lightscribe, DVD-RAM capabalities and bitsetting, I personally did it for bitsetting on DVD+R. But I did a quick google up on DVD-RAM since I’ve never used anything with that name, and it seems that DVD-RAM burns better results, but is also less compatible with DVD-Players and such. Is this true?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to verify if I did everything correctly and if I lost any such capabilities that a Pio-111D would have.

Here are both the pictures:

Pioneer 111D:

Pioneer crossflashed to 111L:

The Pioneer DVR-111D doesn’t support DVD-RAM media and is classified as a DVD-RW drive by Windows.

The Pioneer DVR-111 and DVR-111L do support DVD-RAM media and are classified as DVD-RAM drives by windows. DVD-RAM drives also support the other formats (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-ROM etc.) so Windows is showing the right thing.

DVD-RAM is a type of media, just like e.g. DVD+R and DVD-RW are types of media, so if you don’t use DVD-RAM media your burns will be exactly as compatible with other drives as before you upgraded your firmware.

If you buy and use some DVD-RAM media, they will only be readable in drives that support at least reading of DVD-RAM media. I’d say about half of the newer drives don’t support DVD-RAM, and more than half if you include older drives. DVD-RAM is good for somethings however.

Thanks for clearing that up DrageMester! I was worried because I hadn’t noticed the -RAM at the end, and thought I had perhaps messed up somewhere.

So basically I have nothing to worry about, unless I use the DVD-RAM feature, which I won’t be using. The rest of the features should be intact and working. Great! That DVD-RAM got me thinking if I had done everything correctly.

I just had one last question, in your post you said that 111D doesn’t support DVD-RAM media and would be classified as a DVD-RW Drive by windows, but I’m using a 111D and it shows up as DVD-RAM on my computer. If I understood correctly, you’re saying that on my 111D it showed up as DVD-RW but now that I flashed it with the 111L (Since 111L supports DVD-RAM) its the reason why it shows up as that now?

That’s right. The 111L has enabled DVD-RAM support in your drive (which wasn’t there before in the 111D firmware), and Windows detects this.

Thanks DrageMester for the quick reply! :bigsmile: I’m a whole lot relieved now.

You’re welcome. Enjoy your new Pioneer DVR-111L drive! :slight_smile:

Actually just to be precise the 111D supports DVD-RAM reading , but as stated not writing.

And you HAD an 111D because you have crossflashed it, remember?! :bigsmile: