A Rather Interesting Question

vbimport

All right, lets see whos philosophical, or at least is willing to attempt to be/look filosofikal. :wink:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

OR

Is the glass half empty, or half full?

I know what I think, but I want to see what other people think before I post.

damnit! i had a nice reply going…first reply too…and what happends when you are drunk…error by internet explorer for some reason. not only am i drunk, but internet explorer is too!! :a will post (as good as i can remember) in the morning…er, in the afternoon

stupid internet explorer. [edit] for the answer to this, go .here

alright…heres the deal. not only am i browsing the threads…but im trying to sober up as well. i think this all comes down to believing in darwin or a supreme god, to an extent.

so…im drunk right now. but for the second question…i think it all depends on whether youre optimist or pessimist…or whether youre at the bars and need to fill up youre drink all over again. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

as far as the second question goes, i think the chicken comes first. im thinking, either way, whether you believe in a supreme being/god…either way…look at it like this: god creates the chicken so that it can reprodice. or, if youre thinking darwin…the chicken also comes first…it reprodices…everything works out and youte all set…it it fit for survival.

but…just my opinion. lets see what everyone else thinks. :slight_smile: eh, will correct spelling errors in the morning/afternoon.

one last note: i think this is a pretty good post for a drunk tool.

Originally posted by EFloUVA
as far as the second question goes, i think the chicken comes first. im thinking, either way, whether you believe in a supreme being/god…either way…look at it like this: god creates the chicken so that it can reprodice. or, if youre thinking darwin…the chicken also comes first…it reprodices…everything works out and youte all set…it it fit for survival.

Ah, but where did the chicken come from? Its a universal paradox with no black or white answer. The egg came from the chicken, but the chicken comes from the egg. A middle ground could be that they both just appeared… maybe.

one last note: i think this is a pretty good post for a drunk tool.

Agreed. :smiley:

Ok, this is a good one to start my Saturday morning here… (9am local time).

First the second question, for that is the easiest one.
Whether the glass is half full or half empty depends on the situation. Of course, psychologists would state that (s)he who says that the glass is half full, is an optimist, whereas (s)he who says the glass is half empty, is a pessimist.

However, when you add the word ‘only’ to it, what is seen as optimistic first, can turn into something negative. Let me explain:
When you are enjoying a nice glass of, let’s say, beer. Someone just filled it up, but only filled it up half. You would say “that glass is only half full”, implying that you didn’t get what you wanted and want more, hence, a negative remark.

I always look at this from the original situation. Hence, when the glass was empty first and is now refilled to half its contents, it is half full; when the glass was full and someone drank half its contents, the glass is now half empty.

As to your first question, that answer is not really that hard and can easily be found by using google…sorry to disappoint you.

Here are a few links that turned up when entering the question in the google search bar (yeah, search rules everytime :wink: ):

[ul]
[li]http://www.howstuffworks.com/question85.htm
[/li][li]http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jun2000/960571926.Ev.r.html
[/li][li]http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/chicken_egg.html
[/li][li]http://www.sciforums.com/archive/59/2000/10/2/2458
[/li][/ul]

But then again, there are so many different views to this question, a scientific one, a Darwinist one, an an evolutionistic one etc. So in a sense you asked a question to where different people have different answers and it is not as easy as I stated earlier.

But since I believe in science and not in one God who created all and feel that the Darwinist view is the evolutionist view and they are both based on a scientific view, the answer explained in the first link is the true answer to the question “What was first, the chicken or the egg”.

Sorry if I have spoiled it for the rest of you now :wink:

listen to Da_Taxman and maybe hell give you a break somtime.

now, in repsponse to what you said to me: if you read genesis…i am an english major…and god alright…to be an english major, i think you might need some sort of background in religion or whatever…theres no escaping it…nor is there escaping philosophy for that matter…i like the idea behind this post. but to answer your question:

i dont know what starts at the beginning of darwin theory…maybe he believes in a god himself…shit…now that would be something. but as far as god goes…if you go with what i was originally saying…where the chicken comes before the egg…where does god come from? guess it all depends on how philosopical you really can be? :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

whatever goes around comes around. right back at ya Savannah! :stuck_out_tongue:

and to end this post…another fine post by an even less drunk tool. starting to sober up. must get to bed. i am just getting back from the bathroom…no comments…only emoticons… :Z :Z

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
Hence, when the glass was empty first and is now refilled to half its contents, it is half full; when the glass was full and someone drank half its contents, the glass is now half empty.

A very scientific description, and also unfallable, even from a philosophical viewpoint. (yeah well…)

But then again, there are so many different views to this question, a scientific one, a Darwinist one, an an evolutionistic one etc.

Agreed, its not possible to pin down a ‘right’ and a ‘wrong’ answer, for its all an individuals viewpoint.

Sorry if I have spoiled it for the rest of you now :wink:

Spoil it? Course not! Granted all the information can be found with a search (try to get all new people to know that ;)) and you took some time to actually go and do that, and I appreciate your effort. And you also included you opinion, which cannot be said is wrong, as no opion is wrong.

Although 9am is a bit early for such a topic, no? :slight_smile:

[B]where does god come from? guess it all depends on how philosopical you really can be?

whatever goes around comes around. right back at ya Savannah! :p[/B]

Ah yes, an even older debate, the existence and/or beginning of god.

Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning god created the heaves and the earth.”
So if we believe the bible god was there since the beginning. Beginning of what? Apparantly everything. Even a chicken :bigsmile:

However, it can neither be disproven/proven of gods existence, for what evidence is there of either? Except for whats in peoples minds/souls (area for even more discussion).
Proven - the bible, ‘faith’ healers, etc etc.
Disproven - A religeon is formed, a god is created, why? prehaps just so we can have someone/thing to blame our mistakes on.

I dont know. Also I dont pretend to know.

PS - please, dont be offended by what you read. I am not challenging anyones beliefs, just putting my 2.2 cents (GST included) on the table.

PPs - How did I got from asking peole about glasses and chickens to discussion the existence of god?!?!?!?

This also makes me think about the universe, if you think of it, could we be e.g be part of something much bigger ? Like pants are build from moleculs, atoms, quarks and probably even smaller things.

Could it be that we are also part of something much bigger ? Like could we be a part of something like quarks, atoms, moleculs of the pants of some large giant ?

(Do you have any clue where i’m talking about ? :confused: :wink: )

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
[B]This also makes me think about the universe, if you think of it, could we be e.g be part of something much bigger ? Like pants are build from moleculs, atoms, quarks and probably even smaller things.

Could it be that we are also part of something much bigger ? Like could we be a part of something like quarks, atoms, moleculs of the pants of some large giant ?

(Do you have any clue where i’m talking about ? :confused: :wink: ) [/B]

The Matrix could as well be true :wink:

Better stop thinking about these kinds of these things - will surely end up confusing ourselves. Did it a while ago, thinking about our existence in this world and at the end of it I lost my trace of thoughts…

Btw, were you meant to say plants when you said pants?

For the first question, I believe that the chicken did come first, because of what I believe in and the Bible.

For the second question, I completely agree with Da_Taxman.

@DoMiN8ToR - I have also thought about that before, but I believe something like that would be extremely improbable. It makes ya think though!

The more you ponder the existence of man, the more you realize that it is time to go back to sleep :wink:

Chicken came first. Either God or Nature/Evolution created chicken first.

If God created living (and non-living things) then God created chicken and give it the ability to produce eggs. This is same as creating Eve and giving her ability to produce eggs.

If living things are product of Nature then Eve’s (and chicken’s) ability to produce eggs are result of evolution.

Something more interesting: Chickens rarely breaks eggs, when they sit on them. Human females have higher rate of miscarriages.

Glass is either half empty or half full, depending on situation.

You have a half full tank of gas (petrol or fuel for our international CD-Freaks) if you only need to drive short distance and you can get there. However, your tank if half empty if you need to drive longer distance and can’t get there.

Furthermore, your glass is STILL half full, if you are willing to share what is in it. And then again, your glass could be half empty if are not willing to share what is in it.

Something more interesting: Full and Empty are opposite and are used incorrectly to describe contents of “half filled” glass.

Something even more interesting: The galss will be completely empty soon.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by DawnLoader
Something even more interesting: The galss will be completely empty soon.

The glass will never be empty.

The glass carries a specific amount of water. I can devide this amount in half and give the half to you. Now i have only half the amount in the glass and you have the other half.

I can do this same thing again. I can devide what i have , in half , again and give it to you.

No matter how many times i do this , i will still always have an amount of water in the glass , despite the fact it may look like i gave it all to you.

The glass will NEVER be empty.

Unless of course, you break it, then it is no longer a glass, but just broken shards of glass which can’t hold water.

This also makes me think about the universe, if you think of it, could we be e.g be part of something much bigger ? Like pants are build from moleculs, atoms, quarks and probably even smaller things.

Speaking of the universe, if it is expanding, what it is expanding into?:confused: Another universe?

And what about the statement, “I think, therefore I am”
This is a paradox in itself. In order to think you have to exist, and according to this statement, you exist because you think.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

Indeed… unless you’ve got a glass that is produced in a dust- free envirenment and is kept in a vacuum :wink:

And it’s quite clear that the egg came first…
The chicken came millions of years later!

Hmm thought provoking thread.

Who actually knows what came first the chicken or the egg??
The chicken might have came first, but then again the egg might have been first, then hatched.

As far as the glass of water(half full, half empty) depends on who is looking at it. Some people would even wonder how to put back the missing water out of it. If you fill the glass to full and drink half, you have a half glass of water, whether you see the glass as half empty because I drank some of it before I handed it to you, then its up to you to decide I only filled the glass halfway or full. I drank half of the water, so in reality only half of the water that was in there before, is in there now.

You decide if its half empty or half full… And as Mr. b says the glass will never be empty

I know for sure that the egg was first: It was brought to us by the easter bunny