A RAID question

vbimport

Hello there,

I have a RAID question.

On a Z68 or Z77 based board, what happens to the other ports that are not used by the hard drives for the RAID setup? If I go in the BIOS and set it to RAID and set two WD Black 1tb drives on SATA ports 4 & 5 what happens to SATA ports 0-3? Can these still be used for SSD (OS) and BD-R drives?

Thank you,

RAID mode for a BD-R drive?

No way.

[QUOTE=chef;2642841]RAID mode for a BD-R drive?

No way.[/QUOTE]

If I understood correctly, He didn’t meant to use a BR drive in RAID mode :bigsmile:

What he meant is if setting RAID for ports 4 and 5, also all other ports are set as RAID or remain as simple SATA ports, so they are still usable also for optical drives.

I’m not able to answer this question :o I don’t know if the BIOS allow to set RAID only for selected ports or not.

My guess is that is better to set RAID first before to connect any other drive. If the BIOS sees an optical drive, my guess is that that specific port is automatically made unavailable for RAID setup.

Once the RAID array is set and running, I suppose that the other ports are still working regularly, but I’m not sure at 100% :frowning:

Thats not what I meant.

I meant its impossible to use a BD-R drive on a raided controller port.

The problem is indeed this: are all ports raided or only the ones with HDDs?

I’m not able to answer to this question.

When you set a RAID, the first thing to do is to select the drives to be included in the array, so my guess is that only the selected ports are used in RAID mode, whereas all other ports can be used in normal way also for optical drives :slight_smile:

However, I’m not sure at 100% of this :frowning:

Cool thanks for the reply. I guess the way to find out is to try it. I will give it a go this weekend on my Z68 or H67 if I get time

The F6 disk with the OS drivers recongnises the MB bios with the drives in RAID you can use any sata ports for any other setups.

The RAID drivers are loaded in with the SATA drivers, but during the RAID Config itself, that’s where only certain SATA ports are “RAID’d” and others are left unRAID’d. You may load the RAID drivers for all SATA ports to use, but the RAID Config Utility is the ‘real control center’.

[QUOTE=geno888;2642863]The problem is indeed this: are all ports raided or only the ones with HDDs?

I’m not able to answer to this question.

When you set a RAID, the first thing to do is to select the drives to be included in the array, so my guess is that only the selected ports are used in RAID mode, whereas all other ports can be used in normal way also for optical drives :slight_smile:

However, I’m not sure at 100% of this :([/QUOTE]

Usage Example:

SATA 0 - Blu-ray drive
SATA 1 - SATA SDD (single, either AHCI or IDE)
SATA 2 + SATA 3 - SATA SDD RAID (stripe mode)
SATA 4 + SATA 5 - SATA HDD RAID (stripe mode)

You can have multiple RAID configurations out of one controller with one channel or two or more channels. You can also have any of the non-RAID drives along with the RAID volumes.

well I gave it a go and set the BIOS to RAID. Went in to the RAID config and set the only two drived to RAID 0 and then tried to reinstall Win7 Pro. The install would not take the F-6 drivers and I went bach to AHCI. After a fresh install windown now sees my drives as a RAID… Weird. I never went back to the RAID config screen to deleete the aray.

In the install screen ( supose you use win7 ) choose have disk and click on you´re ICH Motherboard version.