A Question on Digital Video

vbimport

If i rip a movie at 650 MB thats 3 hours long the quality would be bad wouldn’t it.
The screen would be blocky all the time because of howl ow quality it is.
If i then rip a film thats 700 MB thats only say 1:10 long.
After watching it 100 times will it start to look like the film thats 3 hours ripped at 650 MB or does that not happen, the picture will stay as clear forever UNLESS i get bad sectors or something which would cause the video in certain bits to go VERY blocky noticably blocky so much so that i cant see?

Now about the audio.
After time does audio Loose its sync?
Does it loose its quality?
It’s Volume level?
Also does a VBR make it eventually go out of sync?
Or would something have to cause this such as bad clusters/sectors, over heated drive?

Cheers

If i rip a movie at 650 MB thats 3 hours long the quality would be bad wouldn’t it. “bad” is relative, you would have to watch it and decide.
The screen would be blocky all the time because of howl ow quality it is.
If i then rip a film thats 700 MB thats only say 1:10 long.
After watching it 100 times will it start to look like the film thats 3 hours ripped at 650 MB or does that not happen, the picture will stay as clear forever UNLESS i get bad sectors or something which would cause the video in certain bits to go VERY blocky noticably blocky so much so that i cant see?
Watching video on an optical disc does not degrade quality. (except in the rare case where the reading device laser is too powerful and might damage the dye)

Now about the audio.
After time does audio Loose its sync? no it shouldn’t
Does it loose its quality? no it shouldn’t
It’s Volume level? no it shouldn’t
Also does a VBR make it eventually go out of sync?
Or would something have to cause this such as bad clusters/sectors, over heated drive? Media degradation over time might cause this…

Thanks for the reply.
Now what about on a PC Hard Drive.
Does all apply to that aswell?

Where you also said in rare cases about it damaging the dye.
Would the picture end up looking like a rip at 650 for a film thats 3 hours long or will it go pixelated in certain parts and colourful?

And did you mean optical Disc as in any DVD-R/CD-R/RW?
And does this go for a hard drive, i could watch a film as many times as i wanted on a pc without it ending up like a 650 mb rip of a 3 hour film?

Yes, simply watching a “video” file on optical media or a hard drive does not degrade the quality.
This is one of the main advantages of optical media VS. analog (tape).

can ne thing cause sound to go out of sync on a hard drive too (apart from codecs)?

And why is video quality worse on VLC media player than is on WMP?

Also say if ive done a weak burn and on different DVD-Rom’s Dvd Divx Players it plays with pixelated frames on 1 certain bits and say if i played it on another dvd-rom or writer thats stronger than other at handling frames, would copying it back from a writer that can handle all the frames ok mean the result will stay the same once copied back from the dvd in the good writer back to the pc. So will that copy i copied back from dvd on the GOOD writer mean that the cpy will never go bad/degrade on its own on the pc.

Now if i put it in a drive thats not very good and the freezes show up in the same place playing from the writer as they did on the dvd player.
Would copying the film back on the bad writer mean that when playing it back on the pc after its been copied ill still get the pixelated frames?

So if i copy back to pc on a good strong dvd-rom/writer the film will playback the same as it did from the DVD on that pc?

Or if i copied it back on the crap writer thats not good at handling frame would the copied result play the same as it would if i were playing it on that writer?

Its quite hard 2 explain but can u see what i mean?

Ne1??

Digital does not degrade. Period.
Recapturing/encoding a video from a burn will degrade it. Any time you modify video, it will degrade…with two exceptions.
Compressed avi to uncompressed avi will retain original quality.
DVD to mpeg-2 will retain original quality.
However, if you compress, or otherwise shrink, or re-encode, the quality degrades.

Just because one player plays better than another doesn’t change the quality of the video content.
Copying is just that. You’re not changing anything. If you copied the disk on a good player to the hard drive, then put it back on a disk, it’ll be exactly the same. Copy the same disk on a poor player, then put it back on disk, it’ll still be exactly the same.
It will look bad on the poor player and better on the good player, no matter how many times you copy it back and forth.
VLC uses it’s own set of codecs to play video. WMP uses whatever else is on your system.