A question of speed

I have the free version of DVDFab, and I don’t have any complaints about it; it does just what I want it to do. But it takes about two hours to rip a DVD. In itself, I don’t have a problem with that, but the website says “about 10-20 minutes”, so I’d like to know if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

I have a dual-core 2.3GHz Athlon processor, 4GB of memory, running on Linux under WINE (but I’m pretty sure it’s not an emulation issue, as I had it set up on WinXP64 on the same hardware, and it took about the same amount of time).

As I say, if the answer is “Nope, 2 hours is about right”, then I’m happy enough with that, but if I can speed it up significantly, I’d like to know how. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[quote=wintermute23;2145464]I have the free version of DVDFab, and I don’t have any complaints about it; it does just what I want it to do. But it takes about two hours to rip a DVD. In itself, I don’t have a problem with that, but the website says “about 10-20 minutes”, so I’d like to know if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

I have a dual-core 2.3GHz Athlon processor, 4GB of memory, running on Linux under WINE (but I’m pretty sure it’s not an emulation issue, as I had it set up on WinXP64 on the same hardware, and it took about the same amount of time).

As I say, if the answer is “Nope, 2 hours is about right”, then I’m happy enough with that, but if I can speed it up significantly, I’d like to know how. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]
On the title bar you will see a green check mark click on it to open common settings and on the left you will see General click on it to open general settings page there you will see a button for “Reset DMA” click on it and then click OK this will or should fix you rip time

That’s something to look into. Unfortunately, I’m at work and my computer isn’t. But I’ll try it this evening, and let you know.

Thanks.

[quote=wintermute23;2145481]That’s something to look into. Unfortunately, I’m at work and my computer isn’t. But I’ll try it this evening, and let you know.

Thanks.[/quote]
I’ll be here :smiley: waiting :bigsmile:

check if your dvd is rip locked, you may need to upgrade the firmware for your drive, that worked for me, 20-25 minutes is the normal time to complete everything, from begining to end, i only have a pentuin 4 - 3 g.hz, 4 gb ram, good luck

Maybe for you it is normal, but my normal time is 9-14 minutes depending on the size of the movie :bigsmile:

Have a nice day :flower:

As a little backstory, I’m using a 32GB CF card on the IDE channel as my primary hard drive, and storing the rips on an external eSATA drive.

Anyway, last night, I looked into changing the memory access settings for the DVD drive, and I tried doing it through linux’s native tools (which took a bit of research), rather than letting DVDFab do it, as I didn’t really know how DVDFab would deal with Linux hardware drivers. And I rebooted.

Or rather, I tried to reboot. With the CF card attached, the machine wouldn’t even POST. If I tried attaching it via USB after it had booted from CD, it just couldn’t be accessed. So far as I can tell, the I/O controller has been completely fried.

I’ve ordered a new CF card (which isn’t exactly cheap), and while I can’t imagine how this could possibly have been caused by setting a different drive to use DMA, I’m not especially inclined to experiment further, so I’ll probably just stick with the slow copies.

Ah, well.

deleted

[quote=wintermute23;2145932]As a little backstory, I’m using a 32GB CF card on the IDE channel as my primary hard drive, and storing the rips on an external eSATA drive.

Anyway, last night, I looked into changing the memory access settings for the DVD drive, and I tried doing it through linux’s native tools (which took a bit of research), rather than letting DVDFab do it, as I didn’t really know how DVDFab would deal with Linux hardware drivers. And I rebooted.

Or rather, I tried to reboot. With the CF card attached, the machine wouldn’t even POST. If I tried attaching it via USB after it had booted from CD, it just couldn’t be accessed. So far as I can tell, the I/O controller has been completely fried.

I’ve ordered a new CF card (which isn’t exactly cheap), and while I can’t imagine how this could possibly have been caused by setting a different drive to use DMA, I’m not especially inclined to experiment further, so I’ll probably just stick with the slow copies.

Ah, well.[/quote]The drive that is the host of DVDFab’s temp file is a critical part of the process. For optimum performance it must be on a controller that allows DMA and not an adapter plugged in to the PCI bus. It should also be on a different controller than the one that handles I/O for the optical read drive (which also needs DMA). Don’t give up! :slight_smile: