A question of speed

vbimport

#1

I have the free version of DVDFab, and I don’t have any complaints about it; it does just what I want it to do. But it takes about two hours to rip a DVD. In itself, I don’t have a problem with that, but the website says “about 10-20 minutes”, so I’d like to know if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

I have a dual-core 2.3GHz Athlon processor, 4GB of memory, running on Linux under WINE (but I’m pretty sure it’s not an emulation issue, as I had it set up on WinXP64 on the same hardware, and it took about the same amount of time).

As I say, if the answer is “Nope, 2 hours is about right”, then I’m happy enough with that, but if I can speed it up significantly, I’d like to know how. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.


#2

[quote=wintermute23;2145464]I have the free version of DVDFab, and I don’t have any complaints about it; it does just what I want it to do. But it takes about two hours to rip a DVD. In itself, I don’t have a problem with that, but the website says “about 10-20 minutes”, so I’d like to know if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

I have a dual-core 2.3GHz Athlon processor, 4GB of memory, running on Linux under WINE (but I’m pretty sure it’s not an emulation issue, as I had it set up on WinXP64 on the same hardware, and it took about the same amount of time).

As I say, if the answer is “Nope, 2 hours is about right”, then I’m happy enough with that, but if I can speed it up significantly, I’d like to know how. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]
On the title bar you will see a green check mark click on it to open common settings and on the left you will see General click on it to open general settings page there you will see a button for “Reset DMA” click on it and then click OK this will or should fix you rip time


#3

That’s something to look into. Unfortunately, I’m at work and my computer isn’t. But I’ll try it this evening, and let you know.

Thanks.


#4

[quote=wintermute23;2145481]That’s something to look into. Unfortunately, I’m at work and my computer isn’t. But I’ll try it this evening, and let you know.

Thanks.[/quote]
I’ll be here :smiley: waiting :bigsmile:


#5

check if your dvd is rip locked, you may need to upgrade the firmware for your drive, that worked for me, 20-25 minutes is the normal time to complete everything, from begining to end, i only have a pentuin 4 - 3 g.hz, 4 gb ram, good luck


#6

Maybe for you it is normal, but my normal time is 9-14 minutes depending on the size of the movie :bigsmile:

Have a nice day :flower:


#7

As a little backstory, I’m using a 32GB CF card on the IDE channel as my primary hard drive, and storing the rips on an external eSATA drive.

Anyway, last night, I looked into changing the memory access settings for the DVD drive, and I tried doing it through linux’s native tools (which took a bit of research), rather than letting DVDFab do it, as I didn’t really know how DVDFab would deal with Linux hardware drivers. And I rebooted.

Or rather, I tried to reboot. With the CF card attached, the machine wouldn’t even POST. If I tried attaching it via USB after it had booted from CD, it just couldn’t be accessed. So far as I can tell, the I/O controller has been completely fried.

I’ve ordered a new CF card (which isn’t exactly cheap), and while I can’t imagine how this could possibly have been caused by setting a different drive to use DMA, I’m not especially inclined to experiment further, so I’ll probably just stick with the slow copies.

Ah, well.


#8

deleted


#9

[quote=wintermute23;2145932]As a little backstory, I’m using a 32GB CF card on the IDE channel as my primary hard drive, and storing the rips on an external eSATA drive.

Anyway, last night, I looked into changing the memory access settings for the DVD drive, and I tried doing it through linux’s native tools (which took a bit of research), rather than letting DVDFab do it, as I didn’t really know how DVDFab would deal with Linux hardware drivers. And I rebooted.

Or rather, I tried to reboot. With the CF card attached, the machine wouldn’t even POST. If I tried attaching it via USB after it had booted from CD, it just couldn’t be accessed. So far as I can tell, the I/O controller has been completely fried.

I’ve ordered a new CF card (which isn’t exactly cheap), and while I can’t imagine how this could possibly have been caused by setting a different drive to use DMA, I’m not especially inclined to experiment further, so I’ll probably just stick with the slow copies.

Ah, well.[/quote]The drive that is the host of DVDFab’s temp file is a critical part of the process. For optimum performance it must be on a controller that allows DMA and not an adapter plugged in to the PCI bus. It should also be on a different controller than the one that handles I/O for the optical read drive (which also needs DMA). Don’t give up! :slight_smile: