A question about slipstreaming

Hi all, I’m going to install a 200GB hdd that I’ve wiped and is ready to go. I have made a disk using Autostreamer slipstreaming W2k pro and sp4. My question is in regards to the partitioning section of the installation of the OS, I know from previous experience that the section will open with a screen with the words “Unpartitioned Space” with the amount shown on the right. With the 137GB limit, will my 200GB of unpartitioned space show or only the 137GB? If it doesn’t and I proceed with the amount shown will the slipstream enable me to see the whole 200GB when it’s finished?

I don’t know the answer to the first question. I wouldn’t attempt a partition bigger than 137GB. After installation you ought to see the rest of the drive as free space. You can then create another partition there.

As far as I know, you need to add the EnableBigLba to the registry once you are up and running, and before you try to go above 137GB.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

Use any of the freely available tools to partition the drive before installing. The drive’s maker probably offers one. Windows will then install just fine regardless of how much of the drive it sees, and you won’t wind up with 2 partitions where you might not want them. But with SP4 slipstreamed, it should not be a problem either way.

CDan, What you are suggesting is to partition the hdd prior to installing the OS? Cool, I had not thought of that.

The hdd that I will be using is a 200GB Maxtor which I do have the Maxblast4 CD, and it does have a section for partitioning.

Yes, partition, then install Windoz. Windoz might or might not see the correct size, but it’ll be fine after it’s installed.

the 137GB limit would be bios imposed not a W2K limit which allows 2TB

Which brings up my next question, if the limit is imposed by the BIOS why and/or how does adding the service pack enable the larger size hdd to be seen?

It doesn’t, if your MB/BIOS cannot see larger drives. If the drive is correctly identified in BIOS, or in any other drive program, then you do not have that limitation. Any newer MB does not have this limitation, and most older ones can be updated with a new BIOS version.

I’m confused after reading the following and what you have written.

Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP was released on September 9, 2002. Its most notable new features were USB 2.0 support and a Set Program Access and Defaults utility. For the first time, users could control the default application for activities such as web browsing and instant messaging, as well as hide access to some of Microsoft’s bundled programs. This utility was later brought into the older Windows 2000 operating system with its Service Pack 3. Service Pack 1a was later released to remove Microsoft’s Java virtual machine as a result of a lawsuit with Sun Microsystems.

[B]LBA-48, which allowed the OS to view and use HDD space above 137 GB, was enabled by default. Native support for Serial ATA was added.
[/B]

I’m beginning to make some sense out of this. The BIOS limits the size of the hdd that it will recognize, but there are several ways to get around this. One way is to update the BIOS, another is to add a BIOS expansion card. The next two are the ones that I have been looking at, obliquely mind you. :rolleyes: Those are the LBA-48 which I have mentioned previously, and the other is a Software Translation Driver (Dynamic Drive Overlay). I wasn’t aware of what it was at the time, but this is what I used with the Maxblast4 software to partition my 200GB hdd prior to slipstreaming W2k pro and sp4.

There is a good article that you can read here.

The drive translation workaround can come back to bite you in the arse tho,
start playing around with something like partmagic later and there goes your drive tables, better to update your bios or get a bootable pci controller card.

Basically you have your hardware controller/bios and your OS trying to talk to each other, stick a translator inbetween and communication can get garbled.

nLite has an option to turn on the LBA-48 option so it’s enabled at the time of installation.

Windows 2000 with SP4 still needs a reg change to enable (create) Big LBA, this does not matter if the BIOS can see the disk or not the OS cant at install time, now I am in the process of building up a slipstream CD and as yet I cant see any way that I could get this new value into the registry first… but clintb says “nLite has an option to turn on the LBA-48 option so it’s enabled at the time of installation.”

This is something I need to look into because I have always chopped the disk[s] up first but win2k still has a problem with the real size of the disk and I still have a partition on a disk (via a controller card) that says “disk 04 appears to have partitions created using a different drive geometry” now that is a disk that was made before the install of 2k, so it seems to have problems which ever way you (or I) have done it and now my way round this is to not use >137 GB boot drives with win2k and have just got a new 74 GB raptor for my new build, its a shame as I wanted the 150 GB one because of the window :wink: but as there is not a better windows OS than 2000 I see this as the best work around, I hope the nLite way will work, but I cant see how it can modify the registry as it has not been created as yet

Windows 2000 with SP4 still needs a reg change to enable (create) Big LBA

No, it does not. The change is part of the SP.

To be specific the LBA-48 is what enables the service pack to do this.

As of January 2003, new copies of Windows 2000 Full Versions have incorporated 48-bit Addressing for ATA interface disc drives. You can confirm that your copy has this support by inspecting the installation CD artwork. It should say “Windows 2000 Including Service Pack 3.”

no wonder I never heard of this problem, 4 years ago I didn’t have 160 gig drives

No its not, you install the SP and then do the reg change, I have done it so many times and it does not see the full disk before (because there is no ‘EnableBigLBA’ Value in the registry) and does after.

From the M$ link in this thread above…

The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
[…]
• You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters
To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
  2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
  3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1
  4. Quit Registry Editor.

Or are you saying that M$ dont know what they are doing ???
What I did get wrong is its SP3 and not 4 but you would never use 3 as there is a 4.

I’ve installed Win2k plenty of times too, have never done a reg change and use large drives all the time.

you guys are arguing apples and oranges

1. reg change is needed after applying sp3 or 4 to preinstalled older version of W2k
    2 in this case where sp4 is slipstreamed into the install cd he shouldn’t need a reg change and W2k should see the full drive size

So how do you get the new registry value ?
The SP3 or 4 does not add the value, just the ability for it to use the value when added.
Its not just for old installs, because as far as the SP knows your install can be of any age because the SP has to be in there first, then you change the registry

I am not saying that it cant be done, I just want to know how it adds this value in, if M$ could not do it… its no good saying it does… how does it do it ?

I have a good copy of windows 2000 that I want to build a slipstream CD around, I am not going to pay for another win 2k CD (I doubt my one can be got anymore) just to get the SP slip streamed into it as I already have a work-a-round with Acronis Images. But these will not work on my new box.