A question about 2.5" hdd

vbimport

Well i am thinking that it’s time to change the hard drive on my laptop, i have narrowed the disk into two
1st is the Western Digital black (2.5 @ 7200rpm) 320Gb
2nd is the HITACHI 320GB TRAVELSTAR 7K500 (2.5 @ 7200rpm) 320Gb

Which one to get? and also has anyone any experience with a 2.5" hdd from hitachi?
I am asking because there is a big different in price, the hitachi is almost 15 euros cheaper.

Like everything else yyou get what you pay for.

the hitachi drives are cheaper, but…

for a notebook drive, a situation where you have ONE HDD
and no backups trying to be cheap can leave you in deep doodoo
when it dies…

since you are talking about a WD “Black” drive that suggests to me you have a newer notebook that takes SATA drives and at this point I’ll ask why stop at 320gb?

Is a 400, or 500gb drive that much more?

as for the WD being 15euros more?

a quick check of my favorite web retailer (Newegg) shows that here in the states there is a $5 difference in price between the hitachi travelstar 320gb drive and the WD Scorpio Black 320gb,

I’ve personally had fewer problems with (requiring replacement or waranteeing) and less agrevation waranteeing when it was needed WD drives than any others.

Now there is no other brand of drive I’ll seriously consider buying new.

Life is too short to save a bit of money in exchange for dealing with more aggrevation.

And WD is usually easy to deal with.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2518005]Like everything else yyou get what you pay for.

the hitachi drives are cheaper, but…

for a notebook drive, a situation where you have ONE HDD
and no backups trying to be cheap can leave you in deep doodoo
when it dies…

since you are talking about a WD “Black” drive that suggests to me you have a newer notebook that takes SATA drives and at this point I’ll ask why stop at 320gb?

Is a 400, or 500gb drive that much more?

as for the WD being 15euros more?

a quick check of my favorite web retailer (Newegg) shows that here in the states there is a $5 difference in price between the hitachi travelstar 320gb drive and the WD Scorpio Black 320gb,

I’ve personally had fewer problems with (requiring replacement or waranteeing) and less agrevation waranteeing when it was needed WD drives than any others.

Now there is no other brand of drive I’ll seriously consider buying new.

Life is too short to save a bit of money in exchange for dealing with more aggrevation.

And WD is usually easy to deal with.

AD[/QUOTE]

Lets start with the size, i dont need much more than 320GB my current system is around 50-70gb so that eave me enough room for all the extra data that i might need, my main concern is the reliability of the drive thats why i asked if anyone has any experience with a 2.5" hitachi hdd.

Thanks for your help, i am currently leaning for the WD black, and if the price is right i might get a bigger one, always a 7200rpm drive.

Hi,QUOTE=vroom;2518086 my main concern is the reliability of the drive thats why i asked if anyone has any experience with a 2.5" hitachi hdd.[/quote]The only HDD that failed here, was a 80 GB Samsung which did not pass the gravity test performed by my little son when he was one and a half :wink:
Will say, there is no general rule if a HDD from brand A is more reliable than a brand C HDD. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help, i am currently leaning for the WD black, and if the price is right i might get a bigger one, always a 7200rpm drive.
Please keep in mind that 7200/min drives often cause more heat and vibration in the laptop. And often, perfomance is not significantly better than that of a 5400/min drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2518181]Hi,The only HDD that failed here, was a 80 GB Samsung which did not pass the gravity test performed by my little son when he was one and a half :wink:
Will say, there is no general rule if a HDD from brand A is more reliable than a brand C HDD. :slight_smile:

Please keep in mind that 7200/min drives often cause more heat and vibration in the laptop. And often, perfomance is not significantly better than that of a 5400/min drive.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I had one drive that failed the gravity test, all the hard work was done by some kid, so i hope that i wont have watch the repeat of that test.

Well my laptop is relatively new so i hope that i will see some increase in the performance, plus better access time.

//off topic//
The old drive will be in the xtreamer so i can watch movies without having to use flash drives all the time (and this 1080i are getting bigger everyday), so all the equipment will be used :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2518181]Please keep in mind that 7200/min drives often cause more heat and vibration in the laptop. And often, perfomance is not significantly better than that of a 5400/min drive.[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my keyboard. A 7,200 rpm drive might not be the best choice for a HDD in a laptop is reliability is of any concern. Plus, they decrease battery life to some degree verses a 5,400 rpm drive.

I’d go with the WD Black drive (in fact I did) and it works fine, no more heat than the 120 GB Seagate 5400 drive it replaced.

I can’t recall where, but I did read a review comparing the 320 GB Black drive to the 500 GB Blue drive, and the performance between the 2 is very comparable. That said, if you can get the 500 GB Blue drive for the same or less, you might want to consider it instead.

Well i got the [B]Black[/B] and the first impressions are very good, faster than the toshiba it replaced and it’s not that hot.

The [B]blue[/B] was not available at the moment, but i am happy with the [B]black[/B] plus 320Gb are more than enough for my needs.

I seriously doubt that your “system” is as much as 15gb

My XP-Sp3 Notebook “system” is not quite 6gb, and I know because I’ve isolated all my “data” to seperate partitions.

even my dessktop system is shy of 13gb.

I’d honestly recommend downloading and running a program called CC-Cleaner before you migtrate to your new drive…

your system is probably bloated with “temp” files that Windoze never deletes.

My point about the bigger drive was about anticipating unanticipated needs, you might suddenly decide to carry your entire video collection around on your notebook…
then you’d have to buy a new, larger HDD, when you could do it NOW for just a few dollars more.

I wish my Notebook was new enough to use a SATA drive because I see the WD 640gb drive for $75(US)…

My point aobut the Better quality drive is that there are two kinds of HDD, those that have failed and those that will fail.

It’s a mechanical device and nothing lives forever.

I haven’t had that many drives fail, but three of them have been
notebook drives, and I’ve learned my lesson to create cloned backups of my Notebook OS drive partition, because reactivating the OS is never any fun.

AD

^
No offense but my system is win 7 home premium and it has the software that is needed for reviews (plus 2-4 extra programs that i use), one more thing the old toshiba drive was sata1 and it never went higher than 50-60mb/sec .

I cant carry my video collection, because it’s larger than 2Tb :frowning: and my mp3 collection is also 600Gb :(.

I already use cc cleaner, very nice program.