A problem and its solution

vbimport

I had a Problem with certain DVDs not reading very well in my DVD ROM and they did read fine in my DVD Writer, this has only happened a few times out of 50 or so,

the error I got was, Data error (cyclic redundancy check) and happens about 50% the way through the disc,

by accident (cough by sheer will, determination and lots of skill) I have found out why,

when I had this problem it was just before I added a Raid card to expand the number of hard drives I can support, and after adding the card this problem went away,

I have now tracked it down via ‘trial and error’ to 1 thing, if I select Slave as my DVD ROM configuration (I have 2 DVD readers which is another reason I wanted more IDE channels) the slave gives this error, the one selected as Master doesn’t, if I swap the Master / Slave Jumper setting over then the former Master (now slave) gives this error, and the former Slave (now Master) doesn’t,

this is probably why most people tell you to use your burner to read when you have problems, as this is generally set as Master,

I just thought it might help someone else sometime.

If you have two opticals on the one IDE chain, they should both be bus masters and DMA enabled. Having a PIO (LG DVD-ROM)and an UDMA (LiteOn) on the one chain will give you the issue you write about :slight_smile:

The ATA4 Command and Queuing Protocol makes two busmasters (disk or optical) reading/writing on the fly a moot issue - it works quite well. However if one is PIO then it’s just asking for trouble :wink:

Originally posted by FutureProof
If you have two opticals on the one IDE chain, they should both be bus masters and DMA enabled.

I beg your pardon? 2 Masters on the damn IDE channel? I’m not even gonna try, but wouldn’t that create recognition conflict? CS for both drives, yes. But 2 MS?

Originally posted by MadBob
this is probably why most people tell you to use your burner to read when you have problems, as this is generally set as Master

Who said that? That’s absolute non-sense. I have no problem reading w/ the 166S as a Slave on IDE2.

I suggest you set your devices to CS and try again.

Strange thing is even though the card wasn’t purchased as a Raid card, the box had a different card inside from the pictured one, and a little rough printed sticky overlable on the end that I didn’t spot saying it was now an ITE Raid card not the one shown,

I still expected it to be able to perform as a standard IDE port, but it doesn’t show my DVD-ROM drives at all, so I ended up with my hard drives linked to it instead (a better option anyway) but as I only have one 40-pin, 80-wire Ultra ATA/66 cable I felt it better to stick both 80 gig drives on the same cable until get another, meanwhile I thought I would put one of the DVD-ROMs on the secondary channel, but it just doesn’t show in 'Doze,

manual on the CD says no ATAPI support which is stoneage, ~I have ISA cards from 1994 that support ATAPI :confused:

I am going to search for a BIOS upgrade for the card, so If you don’t hear from me for a while I killed it :slight_smile:

oh and all 3 DVDs are UDMA

>I beg your pardon? 2 Masters on the damn IDE channel?
> I’m not even gonna try,

Not 2 masters, two bus masters

more on bus masters

>but it doesn’t show my DVD-ROM drives at all

Typical behaviour of Promise and other specific controllers. Opticals work well with HighPoint. If it is a RAID card then an IDE driver from the mobo vendor may work; also needed to run JABODs in single striped arrays.

>oh and all 3 DVDs are UDMA

…but is DMA actually enabled? Which OS again?

Win 2k pro and I have two 80 GB HD as Master / Slave on the Raid card primary and want to stick one of my DVD ROMs onto the secondary, there is an issue with the Bios on the raid card I found this on the manufacturers site, downloaded the newer Bios and Flashed it, now it doesn’t seem to have updated the bios at all (still old revision number)

so I am going to play around with it a bit :slight_smile:

it is at the Raid card that it isn’t detecting the Atapi drive so it has nothing to do with DMA in Windows,

both the JLMS and Pioneer DVDs are set on the Mainboard Primary and Secondary and are running in Ultra DMA Mode, the Toshiba that is connected to the Secondary Raid isn’t showing up at all,

I am going to disconnect both my hard drives to see if can get it to at least show at bootup, I figure it may not like both HD and CD at the same time,

DMA is not enabled by default in Win2K but most of the time it gets enabled somehow - you sure it’s “on”?

>it is at the Raid card that it isn’t detecting the Atapi drive so it
>has nothing to do with DMA in Windows

I didn’t mean to imply this

Problem is the bleedin’ flashing util says it is Flashing the card, reads / backs up / clears old flash / writes new / verifies, but then the same old flash version is in there on bootup!

driving me nuts, I even tried altering the attributes on the bios file as they were set read only, didn’t make a difference. :frowning:

ah well time to email ITE :slight_smile: