A possible fix idea for Ritek burn problem

You can call me crazy. But I have an idea that I think is worth investigating. Lots of people seem to have problems burning Ritek media on their NEC 2500A burners. I have noticed TDK 880A is also a rebadged NEC 2500. But I haven’t noticed any complaints for TDK o880A owners. Does TDK use a different firmware than the NEC? And if so, would it possible to flash an NEC 2500A with the TKD 880N firmware?

I invite all the knowledgeable people to comment on this idea. Thanks for your attention.

What is the ratio of owners to Nec 100 to 1 ? Interesting tho

its an interesting idea indeed :iagree:

Sorry folks, but as far as I was told, they use the same firmware

I’ll try to record some Ritek DVDs shortly on my TDK 880N drive so I’ll post results.

About 9 months back, when the Nec 1300a and its rebadges were popular, many people flashed their drive with firmwares from the TDK 440 series, just for better media compatibility. I guess that a compare on a TDK and a NEC firmware could reveal quite some interesting information :wink:

I’ve compared both FWs on binary level and all that I can say is:

1. They look VEEEEERY similar

2. Main thing that stops me from trying to install just for fun NEC FW in my TDK 880N is that I’ve bought it few days ago so I just want to have more fun before destroing it - just in case :wink:

On the other hand I’ve info from other forum (and it comes from source mentioned as “very reliable”) that both drives are incompatible on FW level because TDK has made many improvements in their drive. So 880N should be called as “NEC 2500A based” rather than “NEC 2500A clone”. But after many tests personally I don’t belive it.

BTW I’ve burned one DVD-R x4 with mediatype Ritek G04 and everything went OK. My drive works after it and all data can be read from media. So I assume I don’t have problems you describe. :slight_smile:

So finally I know why I’ve paid more for my TDK :wink:

PS. If you’re interested I can put somewhere original TDK FW 1.31 or patched (riplock removed. RPC1). It should be shortly available at Herrie’s website (thanks for your work Herrie).

I do not have Ritek Problems either. I have Burned some and all were OK. Two things would be interesting:

At what speed are Ritek 8x+r burned
At what speed are Pricno 2x dvd-rw burned

And: Yes please send me your tdk firmware:

kai-thiele@t-online.de

Nobody has pinned down conclusively why the Ritek G04 problems are happening. But, I’m willing to bet that it comes down to either quality control inconsistencies at Ritek, or configuration problems on user PC’s, not the NEC drive itself. I’ve had no problems whatsoever with the Ritek G04 4x -R discs I’ve burned, under the configuration in my sig.

I have no way of knowing others’ configurations though, such as whether they have problematic IDE drivers (read NVidia ForceWare or Intel Application Accelerator),what apps were running on their machine at the time they made the burn, or what the fragmentation level was on the hard disk they sere burning files from. It could be that a number of issues are contributing to this problem and that since so many people have bought Ritek media and NEC drives (after all, both are economically priced) that it just appears that the media could be the problem. Or, it could be that discs coming from Ritek are varying enough in quality that some batches have a high error rate.

Originally posted by LoneWolf15
Nobody has pinned down conclusively why the Ritek G04 problems are happening.

As far as we know, the majority of 2500A owners are not having problems with Ritek DVD-R, only a few that post problems.
I can think of no other explanation other than the media itself.
Firmware is ruled out by the fact that it DOES work on most burners, unless the burners themselves are just different enough to create the problem.
My best explanation is that it’s a combination of slight differences in media and firmware/hardware combinations that causes this.
But the fact is that the media must be marginal to begin with for problems to occur.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I can think of no other explanation other than the media itself.
Firmware is ruled out by the fact that it DOES work on most burners, unless the burners themselves are just different enough to create the problem.
My best explanation is that it’s a combination of slight differences in media and firmware/hardware combinations that causes this.
But the fact is that the media must be marginal to begin with for problems to occur.

Based on the above though, I would think that one could attribute the use of Nvidia IDE drivers though, or Intel Application Accelerator, or someone running other apps while trying to burn DVD’s. Couldn’t these all contribute, and because cost-conscious folks will tend to buy both the NEC drives and the Ritek media (both being bargains) we’re seeing a fair amount of this?

Speculation only. I remember the days of 2x CD burners, and having similar problems.

Originally posted by dg1qkt
[B]I do not have Ritek Problems either. I have Burned some and all were OK. Two things would be interesting:

At what speed are Ritek 8x+r burned
At what speed are Pricno 2x dvd-rw burned

And: Yes please send me your tdk firmware:

kai-thiele@t-online.de [/B]

It’s available at

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#TDK880N

I’ve burned Ritek G04 at speed x4.

That is the patched Beta I need the original unmodified one.

Please send it to kai-thiele@t-online.de

Just flashed my nd2500a to 880n evrything worked well. So these drives ARE firmware compatible.

Now I will do some tests

Ok here the results:

Burned a Verbatim 4x-r seems to be the same as with the nec firmware

Burned a Princo -rw 2x burned with 1x with the nec firmware now it burns 2x.

Perfect :wink:

So tdk hast improved the drive! They have improved the Media Compatibility in the firmware!

nice :slight_smile:

and how about ritek discs ? if you could burn some from a batch which didnt work with nec firmware would be nice too.

Sure if you sent me some :rolleyes:

I tried 4 several kind of Riteks all worked fine. Sorry I cannot find such a Batch in Germany

i just sold all my ritek’s last week, if not i’d try using the tdk firmware myself :slight_smile:

i just use verbatim and memorex now, works like a charm.

Could you please post a link of your firmware just in case we could test it at home with ritek’s discs?

:bigsmile:

I do not have any webspace. But if you send me your E-Mail Address I will mail the binary Image to you.
Please remember this Binary is original, no Ripspeed patch and not Region free.