A Noob decision: 1655 or PX-740A?

The decision. With a budget of $80, I am scouring this great forum for the information i need. I purchased the 1655 retail off of newegg just a few minutes ago and installed the 740a earlier this evening. Head to head, this should be interesting. As I am very new to this whole topic, hopefully I am going to be able to compare these drives and make the best decision. Then return the looser to Bestbuy (or newegg).
What are your opinions?
Save the cash and get something better later?

Where can i find out how many PIs are bad, and what else can I read.
2 hours of reading and i still cant find the right thread.
Thanks from Lincoln, NE

• Mike

My opinion is that both are excellent drives and that you will have no justification for returning either - having contracted to buy both you should keep both

Thanks for the quick reply! I would still like to make an informed decision, both after my own testing and hopefully a few more helpful responses.
Does anyone have any technical specs or trivia?

• Thanks again.

Keep the cheapest! Both great drives!

OK, i just burnt a movie ISO to Fujifilm 16X media using Nero 6.6.0.18 at 16X. SUCCESS!
But when I tried to check the PIs, NeroSpeed and Plextools Pro Trial say that this function is not supported by this device?
Does the 1655 support this feature?!?

I think that is a PLEX issue and if you reflash to a 1640 the problem will be solved! Keep the 1655!

the PX-740A is only supported for very basic features in Plextools. I dont think it does support scanning.

I doubt you will find to many differences between the two drives IF you flashed the PX740 to a BenQ 1640 as they are almost the same.

Personally I would keep the DW1655 as its the cheaper and more feature packed drive, the PX740 is a poor drive from plextor as its just an over priced DW1640 with all the BenQ features disabled by the plextor firmware.

Personally I would keep the DW1655 as its the cheaper and more feature packed drive, the PX740 is a poor drive from plextor as its just an over priced DW1640 with all the BenQ features disabled by the plextor firmware.

:iagree:

:iagree:

I agree 100%. The Plex 740 and the BenQ 1640 are the same drive if flashed with BenQ firmware, the 1655 is a new breed with Lightscribe support, I didn’t think I would ever use the Lightscribe feature, but after using it once it came out great, it did take about 30 minutes to finish the disc but I think it was worth it for your real good films.

Yo-

Would personally go for either the new BenQ 1650 or 1655 over the Plex-

Mike

Thanks all. I will end up keeping the 1655, due to the good advice and information. Where and what is the deal with the 1650? Something better than the 1655 that is not sold here in the US?

1650 is a 1655 but without lightscribe hardware built in. There should be no other differences

Post some scans when you get a chance!

Alright on the scans, I will post them in a few days. Thanks everyone.

I agree the 1655 is the better drive but I also agree with Harry. If they do what they are supposed to do there is no reason to return either one.