A non CD Problem

vbimport

Hey, I’ve got a problem that’s not really related to CD/DVD’s. But I need help quick so here goes

I’ve got a bit of a problem. I just reformatted and and installed XPPro. I was running 98 before. Everything is goo,d But my CD drives will only work in safe mode. In normal mode, The bios detects them, but when I go to my computer, They’re just not there.

I managed to boot up in safe mode, And install Mozilla Firefox, and My internet connection. Then I restarted in normal mode, And they were both installed, But my CD drive’s still do not show up in my computer.

Please help!!!

Boot into BIOS and verify that all hard drives and optical drives are seen and set to use AUTO detection. Save and exit. Reboot and go to Device Manager and remove the Primary and Secondary IDE channels. Reboot and verify that devices 0 and 1 in Primary and Secondary IDE channels are set to use DMA mode. Save and Reboot. Verify that all devices connected to Primary and Secondary IDE channels are running in DMA mode. Make sure the jumpers on the hardware are set to Cable Select OR Master/Slave if there are two devices connected to the IDE channel.

and this xp pro install was a full install from scratch = formatted the hard drive with NTFS and installed xp pro from bootable CD ?

try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

1. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.

2. Close the registry editor and restart the machine.

Thanks for the quick reply, Furballi, Checked that

What do you mean by
3. Right-click on both the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registry values and choose Delete/Ok. If you find only one of the Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values, delete just the one.please explain

Or you could just this VB script

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply virushack, But how do I open the .vbs file?

after you unzip it does it come up with an error msg?

\\VH////

fter I unzip it, There is a folder and in that a file which has a .vbs extension. When I click on it i get the following-

Windows cannot open this file-
File:xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
To open this file, Window’s needs to know which program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list on your computer. What do you want to do?
-Go online
-Select a Program from a list

When I go online, I get this-http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?Ext=vbs

Please help!!

This is what my PC opens it with. Also disable any anti-virus.

\\VH////

It might also be possible they are detected fine by windows, but have somehow lost their drive letters.

Try this.

Right click on “my computer” -> manage ->storage->Disk management.

Do the drives show up? Do they have drive letters assigned?

If so -> right click each cd drive->“change drive letter & paths”->add drive letter (of your choice)->ok :wink:

They shou\ld now appear in explorer with those drives letters.