A new video standard is coming soon

vbimport

A new video standard is coming soon.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/a-new-video-standard-is-coming-soon-63173/](http://www.myce.com/news/a-new-video-standard-is-coming-soon-63173/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Damn, and I was barely finished upgrading my dvds, divx, xvid’s & mpg’s to HD x264!

“This means that you can achieve the same picture quality using only half as much room.”

And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

I don’t know CDan. I’ll just have to look at it when it arrives and do my own comparisons. But there were good sized jumps in compression when Xvid and Divx arrived, and another large step going to H264.

That means a 4K successor to DVD will only require about 20 to 30x more space than DVD, 100GB instead of 500GB.

Something like this is really intended for 4k. Application to 1080 and SD content will probably be less successful. In 4k, there’s a LOT more un-needed pixels that can safely be removed. But with lesser video, you can’t keep removing pixels and expect the same results. It’s all lossy compression.

Talking about 4k. The majority of people are still stucked on SD, even TV transmissions are in SD, only cable providers got some HD channels and they aren’t full HD, only 720P.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2649524]Talking about 4k. The majority of people are still stucked on SD, even TV transmissions are in SD, only cable providers got some HD channels and they aren’t full HD, only 720P.[/QUOTE]

It depends where you are though.

Here in the UK satellite TV has a very big following and Sky TV ATM has 60 dedicated full HD channels.

They’ve also added an additional 24 HD channels specifically for the Olympics so any events I’ve wanted to watch I’ve been able to see in HD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Gee - I wonder if this is what Paul & Yoko are waiting for? “We need to wait to release LET IT BE in this NEW format!!”

A year or two ago, Neil Young was insisting HD Audio would be available for his remastered CDs, so I was figuring on nice Christmas presents for hubby - those first three of Neil’s, plus ON THE BEACH… maybe STARS & BARS… LONG MAY YOU RUN.

And of course, THE WHITE ALBUM.

I don’t think we’re waiting until 2031 when one certain album finally turns 64, though.

A little off topic . Although I liked Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young .
I agree with Lynyrd Skynyrd " A Southern men don’t need him around anyhow" .

4320p (7680 x 4320) is 8K, NOT 4K !

Thanks for the correction Gradius. You’re correct. Amending the original statement now.

It’s still a 16:9 1.777 standard. Whew. Just when we’ve almost settled that, I’ve been seeing all these lovely IPS panels coming out in 16:10 again! Wheee… I think we’ll keep buying The White Album for a few more decades.

“No standard is too good to be violated!”

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2649976]Thanks for the correction Gradius. You’re correct. Amending the original statement now.[/QUOTE]

No problem. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2649991]It’s still a 16:9 1.777 standard. Whew. Just when we’ve almost settled that, I’ve been seeing all these lovely IPS panels coming out in 16:10 again! Wheee… I think we’ll keep buying The White Album for a few more decades.

“No standard is too good to be violated!”[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind 4K will come first, and there is a 4096x2160 definition on it too (besides 3840x2160).