A new version / OEM code for the TS-H653N?

So I bought my Samsung TS-H653N from NewEgg on 30-DEC-2008. I finally got around to installing it in my system and when I try to burn a DVD, it dies between .3% and 5.3% complete. It doesn’t matter which app I use (Nero 8 / DVDFab).
CD’s seem to burn just fine.

So I went out and did the TSST Winquiry.

I can’t find any reference to the version nor OEM code.
Any ideas? I’ll try a firmware flash if it might help, but I’d first like to know what exactly I already have.
Otherwise, I’ll RMA it and get a replacement or completely different drive.

The firmware version is UO00 and OEM code is UO. It’s reporting properly since drives with SBxx firmware will report SB as the OEM code. Why RMA the drive? Have you tried anything to get it working properly?

[QUOTE=KTL;2216277]The firmware version is UO00 and OEM code is UO. [/quote]Yeah, I got that part. Pretty simple. :clap: :wink:

[QUOTE=KTL;2216277]It’s reporting properly since drives with SBxx firmware will report SB as the OEM code.[/Quote]Can you explain the correlation? According to [B]mciahel[/B], the drive crosses to an SH-S203B. I checked out Samsung’s firmware page and they don’t list the TS-H653. So I checked the S203B. Are you saying that I effectively have the SB00 firmware? (Substituting the SB for UO…is that what you meant with the [I]SBxx[/I] where [I]xx[/I] is the [I]00[/I]?

[QUOTE=KTL;2216277]Why RMA the drive? Have you tried anything to get it working properly?[/QUOTE]I’d RMA the drive because even with an old firmware, it shouldn’t be coastering 100% of my TY DVD’s. It burns CD’s just fine, the BIOS is fine, and my other drive(s) in the system have worked and still work just fine. Thus my first inclination is that the drive is whacked.
But like I said, I’m willing to try and flash it first if what I have is effectively the SB00 firmware.

The ‘N’ indicates it has LightScribe, so crossflashing to a S203B would probably not go too well. Sure, it’s very likely that you have the OEM builder firmware version of SB00.

Thus, I had asked if you have checked all your system setup to make sure all that part is working properly. Crossflashing would void the warranty on the drive, so if it’s indeed the drive, then leave it as is and return it. Do you have another computer to try it out? Or another DVD MID?

Hi,[quote=Evolution2001;2216290] According to [B]mciahel[/B], the drive crosses to an SH-S203B. [/quote]:disagree: I did never state this.
TS-H653B = SH-S203B
TS-H653N = SH-S203N
etc.
The final letter must match.

I checked out Samsung’s firmware page and they don’t list the TS-H653.
Some OEM firmwares are available from Samsung Korea website.

Are you saying that I effectively have the SB00 firmware? (Substituting the SB for UO…is that what you meant with the [I]SBxx[/I] where [I]xx[/I] is the [I]00[/I]?
:disagree: You cannot compare these firmwares at all.
XY00 OEM firmware might also be similar to retail SB03 firmware (fictive example)

I’d RMA the drive because even with an old firmware, it shouldn’t be coastering 100% of my TY DVD’s.
:iagree: This is a good reason for a RMA. As already suggested, you might also try another known-good MID. Perhaps a test burn with CDSpeed is helpful in order to rule out other issues.

Michael

[B]KTL / mciahel[/B], sorry, I typo’d the cross reference between the [B]B[/B] and [B]N[/B] firmwares. That was an obvious “Ma bad!” :o
Although, I never use LightScribe and never will, so hypothetically I [I]could[/I] flash it to the [B]B[/B] and still be OK, no?

[/quote] So that confuses me again as to [B]KTL[/B]'s initial statement. I still don’t get the relation then. To [B]KTL[/B], what does the SBxx reporting SB as the OEM code supposed to mean in relation to my drive?

Admittedly, I didn’t check the Korean site even though I know it exists. I was getting tired and possibly a bit cranky or lazy (pick one :D) and didn’t go out there.

I guess in the grand scheme of things I was looking for a somewhat easy answer to the “Has anyone seen this firmware?” question. To my credit, I did at least search the forums and do some research elsewhere, just not enough I guess? :slight_smile:

I’ve been out of the acronym circles and burn forums, so I’ll have to refresh myself as to what the MID’s are.
I will also toss the drive “as is” in another system and see if I get the same error. I have an actual SH-203B in another box, so I’ll simply swap the two.

Thanks for your help so far. I do appreciate it!

Your original question was asking about a new OEM code, and having a UO00 firmware, UO is the OEM code. I was just pointing out the pattern as how it’s similar to how SBxx firmwares have SB as the OEM code.

[QUOTE=KTL;2216542]I was just pointing out the pattern…[/QUOTE]Gotcha. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something more. Thought maybe I had come down with a bad case of newbies or something. :bigsmile:

POST EDIT…OK, now when I go back and re-read what I wrote, after posting the screen shot I said I couldn’t find any reference to the version nor OEM code. …I meant that I couldn’t find that respective info anywhere online, not that I couldn’t find it in the Winquiry report. hahahah… After your post, I was thinking, “Wow, Captain Obvious has joined the thread!” :rolleyes: hahahah… it’s all good! :cool:

http://www.samsungodd.com/kor/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=585&SearchWord=h653n&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&PageNumber=1&product_code=

[QUOTE=negritude;2217109]http://www.samsungodd.com/kor/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?FunctionValue=view&no=585&SearchWord=h653n&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&PageNumber=1&product_code=[/QUOTE]Thanks, but no love there either. I downloaded the firmware from that page and when I tried to execute it, it told me that there were no supported drives in my system. :doh:

Anyone else care to chime in?

Possibly tomorrow I can get the drive swapped out with the SH-S203B I referred to above.

That firmware has an OEM code of SC and since you have UO, the flasher failed to see your drive. If you really don’t care about warranty, you can crossflash it. But that’s up to you.