A new type of license agreement in Windows 8

vbimport

I just posted the article A new type of license agreement in Windows 8.

Microsoft is changing their licensing agreements to accommodate home builders and to allow use of Windows 8 in virtual machines.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/a-new-type-of-license-agreement-in-windows-8-63349/](http://www.myce.com/news/a-new-type-of-license-agreement-in-windows-8-63349/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thus, the $15 pricetag… about the price of a NEW “rental timeframe release” of a dvd movie… so, in joining with that industry, Microsoft releases the single instance use of the software… and any subsequent use is restricted…

Not a substatntial change from before… except ownership of a physical copy of the product. This is something now to be downloaded and/or pushed to the consumer.

IMO, this is a breaking point where many consumers might just say, ya know… Linux is looking better and better… and perhaps one day, Android version of Linux… will crossover and offer gaming and other killer apps by working with AMD and NVIDIA to destroy any value Microsoft has in the O/S market… literally those two companies have a substantial role to play in saying whether Microsoft continues to dominate the PC marketplace. Even moreso than Intel who is primarily a CPU maker…

IMO, MS isn’t seeing the danger to them of the growing cell phone OS competitors. I can have a cell phone now that is approaching the power of a light duty laptop computer. Many of these new, powerful phones (quad core CPUs, fast GPUs) have inexpensive docking station options that convert the phone into a fairly capable laptop. For many this configuration will work very well. This is going to draw more and more people away from Windows OSs and push them toward Android systems. I think Google could take a huge bite out of MS’s desktop, and especially laptop, business if it chose to do so.

[QUOTE=UTR;2651225]IMO, MS isn’t seeing the danger to them of the growing cell phone OS competitors. I can have a cell phone now that is approaching the power of a light duty laptop computer. Many of these new, powerful phones (quad core CPUs, fast GPUs) have inexpensive docking station options that convert the phone into a fairly capable laptop. For many this configuration will work very well. This is going to draw more and more people away from Windows OSs and push them toward Android systems. I think Google could take a huge bite out of MS’s desktop, and especially laptop, business if it chose to do so.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure Microsoft is aware of this and is most likely the whole idea behind their design of ‘Metro’ which was designed around small mobile devices like tablets and cell-phone, Microsoft knows that small mobile devices are the new wave of the future and they don’t want to fall to far behind in the market shares, which is also why they are not really that concerned about forcing it upon the desktop users because they know over time everyone will adapt to their new operating system.

Tis just my .02¢
[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2651228]I’m sure Microsoft is aware of this and is most likely the whole idea behind their design of ‘Metro’ which was designed around small mobile devices like tablets and cell-phone, Microsoft knows that small mobile devices are the new wave of the future and they don’t want to fall to far behind in the market shares, which is also why they are not really that concerned about forcing it upon the desktop users because they know over time everyone will adapt to their new operating system.

Tis just my .02¢
[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]People will come over to the new metro even with their desk top pc’s in time it really is a easy operating system and very stable and takes about ten gigs less space on my SSD.

I am pleased with the new windows 8 pro it is user friendly especially for those that are already used to the phones and tablets.

I certainly think that MS has a very good chance at making this OS a hit even with those that hate the metro as long as they keep their retail version @ about 70.00 time will tell if it is the next Vista which I liked also, as the OS’S update so doesn’t my PC hardware and I love to build them just my .02 cents worth.:smiley:

[QUOTE=xorsists;2651235]People will come over to the new metro even with their desk top pc’s in time it really is a easy operating system and very stable and takes about ten gigs less space on my SSD.

I am pleased with the new windows 8 pro it is user friendly especially for those that are already used to the phones and tablets.

I certainly think that MS has a very good chance at making this OS a hit even with those that hate the metro as long as they keep their retail version @ about 70.00 time will tell if it is the next Vista which I liked also, as the OS’S update so doesn’t my PC hardware and I love to build them just my .02 cents worth.:D[/QUOTE]

Personally I do understand Microsoft’s position as business and their marketing strategy behind the new ‘Metro’ interface of Windows 8, as with any business its all about profit I mean that is why someone starts a business in the first place, and in order to keep that profit coming in you need to adjust your products according to the higher percentage of what consumers are buying and in this case it is mobile devices thus Microsoft has to readjust their marketing strategy.

However as a consumer I fell to see the reason behind Microsoft’s decision on removing the start button/start menu and forcing the ‘Metro’ interface onto the desktop users, and even though I did give it a test run I myself will not buy or use Windows 8 at all and will just wait to see what their next operating system is like.

Tis just my ¢ :cool:
[B]SJ[/B]

@xorsists but you stay in Metro or do you switch to desktop ASAP?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2651228]I’m sure Microsoft is aware of this and is most likely the whole idea behind their design of ‘Metro’ which was designed around small mobile devices like tablets and cell-phone, Microsoft knows that small mobile devices are the new wave of the future and they don’t want to fall to far behind in the market shares, which is also why they are not really that concerned about forcing it upon the desktop users because they know over time everyone will adapt to their new operating system.[/QUOTE]

It is their intent to bridge the gap with Windows 8 to Windows Phone. I have a Windows phone and it is good in some ways and not so good in others. If I were buying a phone today it would be an Android phone. MS is going too far with the proprietary stuff and it is starting to bother me more and more. A simple thing like not having a Flash player for Windows Phone is a major PITA. The browser capability is also terrible and MS is not third party browser friendly. Android has such a broad base of options and support and if MS was smart it would place itself more toward its business model. IMO, I don’t see Windows Phone ever taking off. It has some good features but, as is typical with MS, it falls short in many areas and is downright aggravating in others. It is a shame too because Windows Phone has the basis to be a killer phone OS.

I think MS should not put so much pressure on desktop users to move to the Metro theme. Something so simple as giving users a Start Menu option is a shining example as to how they shoot themselves in the foot. It smacks of them telling us what we should use our computers. That they know better than us what we want in an OS. I prefer to make that decision myself by having the option of a Start Menu and booting up to the desktop.

[QUOTE=UTR;2651329]It is their intent to bridge the gap with Windows 8 to Windows Phone. I have a Windows phone and it is good in some ways and not so good in others. If I were buying a phone today it would be an Android phone. MS is going too far with the proprietary stuff and it is starting to bother me more and more. A simple thing like not having a Flash player for Windows Phone is a major PITA. The browser capability is also terrible and MS is not third party browser friendly. Android has such a broad base of options and support and if MS was smart it would place itself more toward its business model. IMO, I don’t see Windows Phone ever taking off. It has some good features but, as is typical with MS, it falls short in many areas and is downright aggravating in others. It is a shame too because Windows Phone has the basis to be a killer phone OS.[/QUOTE]

I’d just like to point out that iOS lacks official Flash support, as do versions of Android from 4.1 onward. (And Adobe no longer supports installations on Android 4.0 or older).

But the browser, as of WP7.5, indeed lags behind; even sites like Twitter and Facebook default to ugly UIs in comparison to iOS/Android/Desktop equivalents. (When forced to desktop versions of pages, the browser may still underperform in comparison to the flagship Android phones of the past couple of years).

Still, everything has pros and cons, and Microsoft’s attempt to make a unified platform (which seems to be everyone’s goal these days :rolleyes:) really doesn’t differ. As such, consumers still get to choose what combination of devices they want, what operating system, etc etc.

That they know better than us what we want in an OS. I prefer to make that decision myself by having the option of a Start Menu and booting up to the desktop.

You Said it perfectly… UTR

It looks to me as MS rolls out this OS, that their intent is to control the revenue streams like Apple… MS wants to make all the money on Apps and other things besides the OS… get the kids hooked and they will come…

[QUOTE=Albert;2651337]I’d just like to point out that iOS lacks official Flash support, as do versions of Android from 4.1 onward. (And Adobe no longer supports installations on Android 4.0 or older).

But the browser, as of WP7.5, indeed lags behind; even sites like Twitter and Facebook default to ugly UIs in comparison to iOS/Android/Desktop equivalents. (When forced to desktop versions of pages, the browser may still underperform in comparison to the flagship Android phones of the past couple of years).

Still, everything has pros and cons, and Microsoft’s attempt to make a unified platform (which seems to be everyone’s goal these days :rolleyes:) really doesn’t differ. As such, consumers still get to choose what combination of devices they want, what operating system, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

At least with Android I have an option of Flash support. Flash will probably go away at some point but that day is not here yet and not having Flash Player compatibility today is a PITA for me because many sites I frequent requires it. IMO, MS would be far better off moving toward the Android model than the Apple model. One reason is giving the user more options and another is it will be much more difficult for them to take away Apple users than Android users. Other than a somewhat amusing interface and good Office compatibility, I can’t see much of a reason to buy a Windows phone at this point.

I can only complain so much because I didn’t do enough homework before choosing a phone. I won’t make that mistake again.

Check the results of the latest poll on the main page. The overwhelming result is “I will never buy Windows again”. Wow, that doesn’t bode well for MS ! Although what’s the alternative other than Mac ? That’s a very good alternative but obviously not for everyone !

Flash support ? BAAAAAAAAAHH hahahahhha are you kidding ? Flash is a piece of bloatware CRAP and everyone knows it. Apple did good by banning it and Adobe themselves have thrown in the towel and aborted Flash on mobile devices. A website that I read regularly is loaded with Flash ads. When I open a few pages of the site in new windows, the all the Flash ads kill my PC system resources (CPU usage and RAM). I killed a process that caused Flash to crash and all the web pages remained open with a crash icon where all the Flash ads were. And guess what, system resources returned to normal.
Can’t wait for that crapware to be gone altogether.

It doesn’t matter whether Flash is good, bad or ugly. The FACT is that many sites still use it so there is a demand for Flash compatibility. You railing against Flash doesn’t change this.

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2651256]@xorsists but you stay in Metro or do you switch to desktop ASAP?[/QUOTE]I leave it default although you can boot straight to desktop if you prefer with third party products such as stardocks start 8 beta.

Of course, the simple solution for this is to migrate to Linux or indeed the dreaded Apple, where you don’t have to worry about being caught out as a pirate if indeed you have illegal software on your PC.

Microsoft seems to be doing an excellent job in p*ssing off their users by treating everyone like pirates with their excessive and completely unnecessary protection schemes.

The only reason why Microsoft is doing so well is the monopoly held by manufacturers, which is not only illegal, in my opinion, it’s unethical Microsoft is forcing itself onto consumers by backdoor deals with computer manufacturers - and I can honestly say with a glad heart, if Linux was genuinely easier to use as much as Windows is, I would have ditched Windows a long time ago.

The fact Linux still remains to be a notoriously difficult operating system to use is why the consumer use still remains at about 1% of the entire PC market.

Let’s face it chaps - Microsoft hasn’t come up with anything all that innovative since the launch of XP. Although Vista was pretty decent after SP1, definitely rock solid, that and Windows 7 offered no compelling reason for users to migrate, and while I’m using Windows 7 right now on my PC, there was no reason for me to migrate from XP.

[QUOTE=xorsists;2651235]People will come over to the new metro even with their desk top pc’s in time it really is a easy operating system and very stable and takes about ten gigs less space on my SSD.

I certainly think that MS has a very good chance at making this OS a hit even with those that hate the metro as long as they keep their retail version @ about 70.00 time will tell if it is the next Vista which I liked also, as the OS’S update so doesn’t my PC hardware and I love to build them just my .02 cents worth.:D[/QUOTE

IMO, Microsoft will continue to alienate consumers - just like they did with Windows Vista and Windows 7. The idea of pressing something to unveil a list of programs et al. is something they’ve had since Windows 95. Metro isn’t necessarily reworking on top of something that currently exists, just like how 98 hadn’t improved much over 95, and XP over 2000, I predict Metro will entirely redesign how we approach the PC.

That sort of innovation doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good though. Because of the START >> ALL PROGRAMS (etc) has been used for nearly two decades, people know and understand how it works.

Metro will bomb because we’ve only JUST got comfortable with Windows 7. I for example bought Windows 7 less than two months ago, so why in the hell would I consider migrating to Windows 8 when it is released next year? It’s an OS designed for tablets and touchscreen PCs - Not for the bogstandard computer and laptop.