A new type of encryption for blu ray?

vbimport

There is a thread regarding a new movie called The Three Musketeers over at videohelp.com that is a bit disturbing. This movie, when ripped and played on a computer, eventually gives a warning message stating: “Copy detected or Ripper running see this website for more info”. The website was not included in the thread at Videohelp. Here is the thread: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344456-Does-The-Three-Muskteers-use-Cinavia

It differs from Cinavia in that the audio continues to play, but the video stops.

The person who was playing the movie was using Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3, which is an older software that hasn’t been updated for some time now.

Does anyone here have this movie in blu ray? US version?

Seems it may be a new version of BD-J structural protection from Sony. With lots of playlists added in.

I have TMT3 set up to never connect to the internet. I wonder how that affects the BD-J protection schemes?

I’m pretty sure the staff at DVDFab is already aware of this and may even be working on it, however just to make sure I have informed Fengtao about it and gave him the link. :slight_smile:

[B]SJ[/B]

Without having the disc it’s hard to tell but I think you’re right Kerry and this is just another structural protection variant.

If that’s correct then it’s just a case of selecting the correct playlist which is far easier to get around than Cinavia.

I’d imagine the message displayed is just a normal video clip called by the rogue playlists.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve checked into this further and there are already reports of American users having successfully backing this up with the current beta version of DVDFab.

There could of course be multiple region A variants but at the moment it’s looking more like like this mightn’t be much of an issue.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It just struck me as odd that it would lock up when playing on a computer. I’ve never encountered a poorly unencrypted blu ray, so I haven’t seen anything like that.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2626826]It just struck me as odd that it would lock up when playing on a computer. I’ve never encountered a poorly unencrypted blu ray, so I haven’t seen anything like that.[/QUOTE]

I can’t see locking up mentioned anywhere. :confused:

Am I missing something or is that from elsewhere?

[B]Wombler[/B]

Lock up, in this instance, meant shutting down the video playback. And on a software player on a computer, rather than a stand alone player…so its something I’ve never seen.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2626916]Lock up, in this instance, meant shutting down the video playback. And on a software player on a computer, rather than a stand alone player…so its something I’ve never seen.[/QUOTE]

Ah right I thought you meant it made the software lock up and crash.

From the way I read it playback doesn’t stop as the audio continues.

What I think is happening here is that the bogus playlists have clips either with either a blank screen or the copy warning along with the correct audio.

They also have clips with the correct video but the director’s commentary which is also the correct length.

Presumably this makes it harder to spot the fakes as they’re the same length as the correct ones.

If you copy the wrong playlist then the warnings/bogus audio etc is played instead of the correct video but only at certain points during playback.

From what I’ve read some of the bogus playlists are almost entirely correct apart from a single defect so it could be hard to spot whether you’ve got the right one or not.

There are 98 playlists on this disc.

The majority of these are easy to spot as fakes as the overall duration is wrong.

17 appear genuine to AnyDVD but only one of these is correct.

The other 16 all have director’s commentary for certain clips.

There are an awful lot of parallels with ARccOS protection on DVDs and it looks to me like this is some sort of Blu-ray equivalent.

That’s all I know about this at present Kerry but if I find out anything further I’ll report it here.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler , If you know do the play lists work like links & junctions in NTFS ?

Ok, thanks Wombler. That makes more sense than being able to shut down the video and still have the audio playing. I was originally worried that it might be a reverse analog of Cinavia, with some type of watermark in the video instead of the audio. And to do this in a computer player that hasn’t had an update in over a year would have been very troubling.

[QUOTE=cholla;2626940]Wombler , If you know do the play lists work like links & junctions in NTFS ?[/QUOTE]

The Playlists (.rpls & .vpls) hold the playback order information for the Clip AV streams (.m2ts) or in other words it tells the player which bits of which m2ts to play and in which order.

Your Blu-ray player first obtains the play order from the Playlist and then gets the information regarding each Clip AV stream from the Clip Information files (.clpi) which tell it exactly where the clips are located on the disc.

In addition to this the Playlist also stores bookmark information.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2626945]Ok, thanks Wombler. That makes more sense than being able to shut down the video and still have the audio playing. I was originally worried that it might be a reverse analog of Cinavia, with some type of watermark in the video instead of the audio. And to do this in a computer player that hasn’t had an update in over a year would have been very troubling.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean and thankfully it’s not as bad as that. :iagree:

I’m only just getting into all this Blu-ray stuff and the detailed technical information seems to be a lot less widely explained than for DVD so it’s all relatively new to me.

Interesting stuff but I get the feeling you’re ahead of me on this ATM though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Okay, it appears there’s more to this than just the fake playlists.

There’s a new BD-J Xlet that attempts to detect if the disc has been copied.

Sony are promoting this and have dubbed this technology ‘Screen Pass’.

It’s known to be on several titles at present although up until recently most of these have been localised releases.

Interestingly some of these releases go back to 2010.

It looks as if this might be a short lived protection though as DVDFab are already claiming to have a comprehensive solution.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yeah and with DVDFab placing their ‘Provider ID’, on backups I’m sure it won’t be long before we start hearing more on this.

[B]SJ[/B]