A new setup

vbimport

I'm about to re format(DOS) my 40gig hdisk, partition it (fdisk) then install Windows XP Pro. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions--partition sizes, XP tips, whatever. I still have 5 hours (worth of backing up my data and idle time) before I start. I
have a P4 1.60A on an Intel 845BG w/ 256DDR.

btw I plan to partition my hdisk this way:
C: 5gig for windows
D: 1gig for temporary internet files (fragments the drv it's
located)
E: 4gig for program files nd documents
F: 6gig for gamesand save games
G: the remainder for mediafiles

did i miss anything?

:rolleyes:

Well, I would use larger partitions. WinXP on his own uses about 1Gb+, so 5Gb for the OS is not really that much…
(keep in mind you need a swap file for your memory, pagefile.sys etc)
And some programs you want to install on your E: might work better when they are on the c:.
If you would add a second harddrive in the future, your e: would become f:, because the first partition on your new drive would get d:. Shortcuts to programs on your e: might get lost…
Actually, I would make 1 partition of 10Gb for the OS and programs (like Word). A second maybe for games (although they can be on the first as well). And one for file-backup (like mp3’s or if you need to do a reinstall; store your files you want to keep on the second (or 3th partition) and reinstall the c:.
More partitions don’t really have much advantage, but that’s my opinion.

I made it as follows :

C: 10 Gb OS and other programs
D: 30 Gb Data

and this works just fine.

Good luck !

Originally posted by ketam|ne
[B]I’m about to re format(DOS) my 40gig hdisk, partition it (fdisk) then install Windows XP Pro. I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions–partition sizes, XP tips, whatever. I still have 5 hours (worth of backing up my data and idle time) before I start. I
have a P4 1.60A on an Intel 845BG w/ 256DDR.

btw I plan to partition my hdisk this way:
C: 5gig for windows
D: 1gig for temporary internet files (fragments the drv it’s
located)
E: 4gig for program files nd documents
F: 6gig for gamesand save games
G: the remainder for mediafiles

did i miss anything?

:rolleyes: [/B]

yes , do NOT crosspost

sorry bout that, Mr. Belvedere

BoSkin, m glad ur happy w/ ur setup. But I’m trying to take advantage of “smaller than 8gigs is economical.” Though I forgot why.

I need to max the capacity of my ONLY hdrive coz i used to have two. And downgrading from two to one feels like losing a leg.

Wannes, I understand what ur tryin to say and I would appreciate if u give me kinda of a detailed partition setup.
e.g.
drive size contains
==============================
C 10gig OS, prog files
D . . . .

tnx to yah all 4 replyin. i still have time…

you forgot 60 gig for edonkey…lol

:slight_smile: Hi!
Isnt there a valid argument for keeping the O/S on a seperate drive to the rest, in case of a virus attack going for a O/S kill ?
If it goes for C drive the rest may survive ok, right, or wrong ?
Specially if you go where ol Dimitri here suggests !!!
Love Bags. :slight_smile:

Al Bags, since partitioning requires extra effort I guess it comes w/ some benefits, but i doubt it can help if the virus goes for theO/S kill. I dunno. I’m partitioning to avoid SLACK. And my fiends, I am about to do a DOS FORMAT. wish me luck :wink:

:cool:

Youre a braver man than me, not done any of that stuff yet, but my 10Gig drive’s startin ta bulge !!!
GOOD LUCK !!!:stuck_out_tongue:

do not be afraid of formating…but stay away from fdisk if you do not know how to make partitions

try to get something like partitionmagic…it is much more easier if you are new to making partitions

fdisk is free, though, and partition magic certainly isnt. as long as you know where you are goin to boot the computer from, fdisk is easy. also, a valid partititon setup :

2 gigs for xp pro
everything else

xp pro actually only needs about a gig or so when it gets down to it, and you may as well give it a little extra, allowing for however large you set your swap file and for how many god-awful windows updates there are. honestly, i think its time everyone starts using linux. goes to get started on it

i agree CKIN2001…but many first-timers mess up thier hdd with fdisk… (like i did)

i was never that afraid i ruined my computer…

i am just warning people to be carefull with tools like fdisk
(using fdisk will leed to loss of all your data…)

:slight_smile:
Hi all!

I have seen many good reports about P. Magic. It is expensive, and isnt it a large programme-12/13 mb ?
I will probably use it when Im ready, but will also save as much as I can, in case of the inevitable !!

Anyone know of an idiots guide/ walkthrough for using this.???

Like many others, Im sure, when trying to do something “tricky” Im always the first to get a prompt or error code, or other problem, that is never covered in the instructions or help file.

Hope Im not alone on this one!!!

:smiley: :smiley:

Al Bags.

PS Cant seem to find an Avatar in the profile/setup. Can I somehow import a bitmap of small size, say 120x120 ?

i messed my hard drive up with partition magic once, actually. i’d been up 30 hours, and was tired of dual booting w/ME and XP pro, so i told partition magic to destroy the partition ME was on ( C: drive), and i thought the comp could boot to my d: partition. oops, didnt like that. 2 hours, Fdisk, and some creativity later, xp pro was installed. fdisk is really simple to use, though, and i recommend it over paying for partition magic any day.

hey guys, sorry to keep you all worrying (:Z) if i made it through w/ my “renewing” my set up.

anyway, everything went well 'cept for the fact that I’m unable to copy the ghost image back up of my previous system. anyway, it really wasn’t that impt. & only 2 CD-R’s worth of data was all that’s lost.

Fdisk is fine. I partitioned my HDrive as follows
C: 7.43Gb OS & Program Files
D: 3.57Gb misc. (documents)
E: 2.38Gb misc. (downloads)
F: 148Mb IE temp files & others
G: 8Gb+ media files (audio)
H: 16Gb+ media files (video)

I installed Windows XP Pro and after a week running(not coninuous), I can say that this OS is really stable tho still in learning how to really use the OS.

(yawwwwwn) its 8:42 AM. Need to sleep… Bbiab…

Good luck with the new setup :wink:
__i partition with the setup CD itself,after installing the necessary files to install the OS you are prompted if you want to partition/remove partition,a lot easier then FDISK
----another great benefit is the defragment times ,unlike 9x you can defrag 1 partition and still use the PC
----i dont know what OS you used before ,but if it was 9x you need to learn about “SERVICES” , applets ,mostly not needed for the personal user (server,workstation,remote user):rolleyes: ,windows by default has a lot of theese set to automatically run each boot,some of which can be exploited.
__you can find theese in the control panel /Administrative Tools/services-a lot of them are self explanitory
___if anybody knows a good website for the explanation of thees please let me know ,i lost the link,and I’m too lazy to find it

here steve gibson explains the "universal plug and play exploit
___ gibson research- GRC.COM

P.S. i like the tiny temp internet files partition ,ill use that one next time :wink:

Originally posted by Wannes
If you would add a second harddrive in the future, your e: would become f:, because the first partition on your new drive would get d:.

This used to be under Win95/98/ME. Under W2k/XP this behaviour is not neccessary, just make the second drive a logical drive and it doesn’t mess up your drive letters. Besides this you can always use the drivemanager from Windows and assign your drive the driveletters like you want them to be!

Originally posted by ImAdV8
here steve gibson explains the "universal plug and play exploit
___ gibson research- GRC.COM

Please don’t believe Steve Gibson, he doesn’t know what he is talking about… If you want to know more

i went to give you good karma for gibson-bashing and its gone :frowning:

cool Upp3rd0G ,
–i was just making ketam|ne aware that if hes new to NT that services are something to be aware of :wink: