A new, free blu ray authoring program called QuickBD

vbimport

A couple of guys over at Videohelp.com have been working on a new blu ray authoring program. They go by wiseant and dragonkeeper on those forums.

I’ve been following their development thread, and it seems that they are ready for their first release of the program. Here is a link to the thread in question: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/347579-Testing-my-Blu-ray-and-avchd-authoring-application/page3

I would have put in a direct link, but I’m not sure Videohelp.com would appreciate me doing that for an attachment. You can find the download in the thread.

Here is the copy of their release information:

[I]August 16, 2012 -> ReadMe.txt

QuickBD_v1.hta - Quick BD Authoring with Top and Chapter Menus

QuickBD is a fast way to author BD compliant video and audio with Top and Chapter Menus

It utilizes Avisynth, VirtualDub, TsMuxer, x264, GScript.dll (an Avisynth plugin), ffms2.dll (an Avisynth plugin), and CLIPINF_Editor_v0.05

No installation is required - but avisynth needs to be installed.

If you are unfamiliar with these programs - no problem - there is no need to install them and they will open and run automatically.

Note for Windows 7 users
You may have to run tsmuxer [commandline version] as Administrator - and probably in Windows XP SP2 or SP3
compatability mode. Each time tsmuxer runs a UAC dialog box may appear - just click yes and continue.

Just download QuickBD_v1.7z - Unzip and copy to a new folder

For example, the directory [folder] structure needs to be
C:\QuickBD
QuickBD1.hta
ffms2.dll
GScript.dll
VirtualDub.exe
x264.exe
tsMuxeR.exe
CLIPINF_Edit.exe

This main folder is also used for the batch files for the VirtualDub preview and x264 encoding.
It is also used for the completed project - and will have a filename based on the start time of the project

C:\QuickBD\DAT
This folder has the 83 “template” files

C:\QuickBD\TMP
This folder is used for the avs files, the x264 encodes, the TSMuxer batch and **** files, chapter information and framerate information

How to use

1. Open Video clip
    The application accepts BD compliant 1920x1080 23.976p, 24p, 25i, 29.97i video in mp4, mkv, ts, and m2ts containers. If the file contains audio it will be ignored - if the user wants to use the audio from this file, use TSMuxerGUI to demux the audio only

No .264 raw streams as there are problems decoding these - so if you have a raw video stream just mux into mp4, mkv, ts, or m2ts

1. Select a BD compliant audio -> ac3, dts
    There is an option to downconvert DTS-HD to DTS

2. Top Menu
    i) Caption - enter a Caption for your Top Menu
    ii) Duration of Motion Menu - select 30sec, 20 sec, 10sec or 0 sec [no motion] - make sure to Confirm the choice

A. Create/Update Top Menu - this creates the avs file for the Top Menu
B. After creating the avs file - Preview it in VirtualDub
C. After previewing the Top Menu - Encode it
If you don’t like the preview - you can change the Caption and the Duration - just remember to Confirm your choices. If you make changes you need to Create/Update Top Menu to create the new avs file

1. Chapter Menu
    i) Duration of Motion Menu - select 30 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec or 0 sec [no motion] - make sure to Confirm the choice
    ii) Thumbnail Size - select 384x216 or 352x198 or 320x180 or 288x162 or 256x144 or 224x126 or 192x108 - make sure to Confirm the choice

A. Create/Update Chapter Menu - this creates the avs file for the Chapter Menu
B. After creating the avs file - Preview it in VirtualDub
C. After previewing the Chapter Menu - Encode it
If you don’t like the preview - you can change the Duration and the Thumbnail Size - just remember to Confirm your choices. If you make changes you need to Create/Update Chapter Menu to create the new avs file

1. Create Main Title
    This uses TSMuxer to create the BD structure for the Main Title

2. Create Menus
    This incorporates the Top Menu and the Chapter Menu into the Main Title BD

3. FINALIZE
    This uses clipinf_editor to update the “packet length” for the two clipinf files 80010 and 80011

Some nice things about this application:

1. Once the BD authoring is complete - and you don’t like the look of the Top and/or Chapter Menus - you can redo them as long as you Do Not change the number of chapters - if this is the case you will Skip step 5. Create Main Title - and go to Step 6. Create Menus and the new Top/Chapter Menus will be replaced - with no need to redo the project.

2. You can also edit the avs files used for previewing and encoding. Just make sure you do not change the location of the the “Play” and “Scene Selection” subtitles in the Top Menu - or the navigation wont work properly. Same applies to the location of the “X” subtitle in the Chapter Menu - and you do not want to change the location of the chapter thumbnails.

3. You can also edit the x264 batch files before you encode - perhaps you want to do a 2-pass encode or change the presets - just don’t change the input/output filenames.

wiseant [/I]

So, you can see in the release information that the program is currently limited to 1920 x 1080 resolution input files. They do have plans to include other resolutions, especially 1280 x 720, but I have not heard any mention of standard definition video used as input into the authoring program.

wiseant forgot to include one file in the original download. You also need a colors/font plug-in to go into your AviSynth plug-in folder.

My efforts to provide a local link aren’t working, so go to the Videohelp.com thread to download the plug-in.

[B]Cool![/B]

I really hope they can include 1440 x 1080 resolution too.