A new copy protection!

A new copy protection!!!
well after the drama of the securom 4.8 story we now have a new challenge.
Im sure a new protection has now reared its ugly head.
Gentlemen meet the uk version of soldiers of anarchy released
here in the uk a week ago!!! version 1.1.2.177
as yet I cannot touch it!!!
please dont get confused with the us and other countries versions this ones a pig!!!
heres why!!!
you CANNOT use dpm on alcohol it will hang at 98%
you CANNOT make a bwa using blindwrite again it hangs with “error reading during measurement at sector 8150
you CANNOT make a normal image using clone cd or alcohol
with securom or safedisc profiles as disc read errors start at 3031
and continue until 14499!!! 28mb of errors NOT your typical
safedisc??? it will take over 28mins to read with error block
skips using my liteon 48125w for safedisc or customised securom
to speed up the read!!!
After burning back the disc all looks well until you install it then stops before loading files with message initialising>>>>>
then removing” odbc “components after which” insert correct CD"
BAD NEWS as now you get your disc checked before it even loads
the files thus preventing a crack or fixed exe being applied!!!
if your copy was not to run!!!
you CANNOT identify the version of securom or safedisc or whatever else it is? Have tried clony/ yapps/and several other
detectors no go Im afraid!
PLEASE do not confuse this with last months us release that appears to copy fine with blindread and bwa etc in other threads this is NOT the case I am familiar with most copying processes
and have successfully copied most new releases within the last year using most of the current applications on the market.
I was one of the 1st guys to discover securom4.8 ( unfortunately not the fix for copying it) so please dont take these claims lightly!!
If this protection goes out into other new releases the fact that we cannot even install a copy does not look good.
Hopefully the guys at alcohol/ clone cd / blindread will get a break through in the future and crush this pig of a cd protection which I will name as protection xxx until somebody can give us some hard facts on its source. regards logicwatch

Thanks, I have passed the info on…

You’re right, that’s neither SecuROM nor SafeDisc. Seems to be something new :frowning:

However, one post is enough :wink:

I think I leave the one in the technical forum open

EDIT hm…someone disagreed…

Interesting. Can you list the other files in the same folder as the game executable?

It’s neither safedisc nor securom but a custom “home-made” protection. There are two releases of Soldiers of Anarchy, one with securom 4.8x and one with this custom bad sector protection.

Try copying it with clonecd using a ring protech profile (i.e. Read- FES on, IBBS on (set at 500), everything else off; Write: everything off).

There’s nothing very new about it, just a mass of unreadable sectors. Accordingly, I’m moving this thread to the clonecd forum as it doesn’t belong on the technical forum (spath take note).

Well the part about not being able to install from a copy is nothing new, Red Alert 2 was the same - the setup.exe was also checking the disc for SD2.

@logicwatch

Did you tried this method, which philamber mentioned?

Try copying it with clonecd using a ring protech profile (i.e. Read- FES on, IBBS on (set at 500), everything else off; Write: everything off).

Did it work?
Please let us know.

Originally posted by philamber
It’s neither safedisc nor securom but a custom “home-made” protection. There are two releases of Soldiers of Anarchy, one with securom 4.8x and one with this custom bad sector protection.
Yes. Philamber is correct.
This protection has been known since last December by Alcohol and Daemon team. It was first thought to be SecuROM plus added bad sectors. There is still a grey area whether SecuROM is combined with bad sectors. Some people say that it is. Some say it is not. Can you believe thats it taken till now for someone to mention it here? :eek:

If the copy protection make a check in the installation process, then i can be helpful. What type of instalation does it have? (Installshield, wise , Nullsoft install system…or a home-made)

Good luck!

I made a back-up of SOA uk version that installed fine but would not play using latest Clone, tried several different read write settings but with same result. Alcohol 120 would’nt read the disc (well I cancelled reading after about 30 mins)already made a post about this see here

Originally posted by plimo
Alcohol 120 would’nt read the disc (well I cancelled reading after about 30 mins)

There is no way on earth that the present version of alcohol can get through several thousand consecutive bad sectors with any reader in just 30 min. With a very fast error skipper (e.g. recent model Asus cdrw) you might be able to do it in a couple of hours. With a Lite-on dvd or cdrw, you’d be looking at 5 to 6 hours minimum.

Try clonecd with the settings I suggested above. Alternatively, try burnatonce (read with discdump in laserlock mode and burn with the raw driver option checked).

ok time for an update!!!
philamber I made a successful image and burnt it back with your settings that you gave me for ccd.
However although this did install correctly when you try to run the game a detection process occurs where the cd is checked
just like with the securom 4.8 titles before the game begins.
Unfortunately the game refuses to run and an error pops up stating >>>> unknown error 0x8007ff06???
However what is significant is that if at this time you substitute back to the original disc the game after a few seconds will then play perfectly!! proving that the copy and install is good however just like securom 4.8 I believe something within the disc is being checked to verify the original ie. density / errors in the physical make up perhaps who knows???
The fact is due to the large amounts of errors I am unable to create a bwa or use dpm with alcohol thus making a copy currently impossible!!
I downloaded a bwa from the blindwrite forum made by possibly
another version of this program twinpeaked it with clone cd
but alas got the same error message and result!!! A long shot I know but it was worth a go nevertheless!!
What may be significant is that the large errors do not read very well using the intelligent scanner skip proccess when set at 500
as philamber mentioned it only works for 3 occaisions then stops skipping and the rest of the disc has to read each sector individually making a total image build aprox 30mins!!!
strange ???
I have tried numerous settings subs on/off /speeds/intelligent scanner on/off alas coaster each time same error message
however swap cd for original after installing from the copy cd starts up 1st time!!
CONCLUSION>>>>>>>>>>> lots of errors on cd 27mb worth &
some sort of securom 4.8 extra density type protection.
RESULT bwa and dpm useless!!!
only good news is the games crap anyway!!!
However hope this new protection is not too widespread before a cure is found. regards logicwatch

logicwatch - Can a SecuROM version number be seen with a hex editor after the AddD string? or is there no such AddD string?

havent tried a hex editor just several securom detectors like yapps they usually show the version. Is a hex editor better?

I see your uk based, me too why dont you invest in the game?
If you buy it from GAME they will refund it within 10days if you return it thus giving you a chance to gain a headache too!!!
It sure is a strange one!!!

Originally posted by logicwatch
I see your uk based, me too why dont you invest in the game?
If you buy it from GAME they will refund it within 10days if you return it thus giving you a chance to gain a headache too!!!
It sure is a strange one!!!

So, its only just been released in UK? No wonder the guy in GAME looked at me strange when I asked for it just before Christmas. :stuck_out_tongue:
I think I will have to get this one.
PS - Clony, Yaps ect… may have trouble detecting SecuROM when Bad Sectors is present. A hex editor will give you the result regardless of bad sectors. Its a long shot that SecuROM is the protection. It just needs clearing up, thats all.

ok will come back tommorow with result which editor would you reccommend and where can i download it?

Originally posted by logicwatch
ok will come back tommorow with result which editor would you reccommend and where can i download it?
Private Message Me with your email address and I will send you one.

You can’t rely simply on protection detectors based on .exe scanning for 2 reasons:

1. Most of them aren’t updated with the newer versions of SecuROM that have an encrypted version info.

2. The executable could be compressed with any .exe packer.

ex: Gothic II updates, Arx Fatalis v1.16, […]

Originally posted by doug
You can’t rely simply on protection detectors based on .exe scanning for 2 reasons:
Good point. Some games carry the protection in dll files leaving the exe protection free. This will go un-detected with many protection scanners.