A New Copy Protection for Movies?

vbimport

Hi,
Recently I rented some dvds but I couldn’t back them up. They were Aviator/Fahrenheit 911/The Terminal.

Here are what I got from “The Terminal” on LiteON 166S

Windows

Windows detects no dvd in drive.

Windows (with AnyDVD v4.5.7.2 turned on)

By double clicking on DVD in “My Computer”, Windows shows this message:
“Windows can not read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.”

AnyDVD v4.5.7.2 (report)

Summary for drive G:
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd+r (version 1), Layers: 1

DVDDecrypter v3.5.2.0 (with or without AnyDVD)

File Mode:

E 14:34:56 [1:1:0] JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1E (G:) (ATA) - UDF File System Parsing Failed!
E 14:34:56 Reason: Function ‘UDFFindPartition’ returned 0

No file is shown in the panel.

ISO Mode:

I 14:32:25 Source Device: [1:1:0] JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1E (G:) (ATA)
I 14:32:25 Source Media Type: DVD+R
I 14:32:25 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I 14:32:25 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 14:32:25 Destination File: E:\DVDIMAGE.ISO
I 14:32:25 File Splitting: Auto
I 14:32:25 Read Speed: MAX
I 14:32:25 Hardware Read Error Retries: 2
I 14:32:25 Detect Mastering Errors: Yes
I 14:32:25 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 14:32:29 Extracting Sectors… (LBA: 0 - 4294770688)
W 14:32:29 Found end of Disc! - Sector: 0
I 14:32:29 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:04
I 14:32:29 Average Read Rate: N/A - Maximum Read Rate: N/A

No file is shown in the panel.

It then creates a zero byte image and Operation Successfully finished appears . :frowning:

CloneCD v5.1.0.0 (with or without AnyDVD)

Estimated Size of Image Files: 4,294,574,086 KB
If I choose Continue anyway
another message pops up:
“Value must be between 1 and 2,147,483,647”
click OK and CloneCD will close.

Alcohol v1.9.2.1705

It says, Image will be too large. but resulting image is again 0 byte.

I tried putting the media in another drive, Plextor PX-708A, it tried to detect the media but the light never went to green.

However, all movies could be played on DVD Players fine.

The problem can also be found: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/158101

Maybe the rental place put something on them lmao

CdFreaks should create a new forum for posters like this so they wont clutter up the rest of the forums. they could make a sticky thread called " felonies in progress: inquire within" or " confessions of an unrepentant felons" :smiley:

I know F911 was out before the new Macrovision encryption. Therefore, the problem may be related to your specific DVD.

Found something in doom9 archive that maybe related.
Archive: 10/18/04

The issue of screener DVDs has also come up in the past. The MPAA, in an effort to stop screener DVDs to leak to the Internet, has tried to ban the use of screener DVDs (those are DVDs containing only the movie and they’re sent to all the members of the Academy that decides on the Oscar awards). The ban never went into effect as many smaller studios opposed the decision and even went to court over it - they feared that since not all jurors could watch their movies (independent movies are often only shown in selected theaters, making it impossible for jurors to watch all the movies in a movie theater close by). Then the MPAA settled on using specially encrypted and watermarked DVDs based on a technology developed by Cinea - those players should be given to the jurors along with the special movies that cannot be ripped. But as the Oscars get closer, those special DVD players are still not available and some movie studios are now starting to look for alternatives. Perhaps they’ll have to settle for good old fashioned DVDs yet again :wink:

The difference is all three uncopiable DVDs have menus.

Fahrenheit 9/11 isn’t even CSS protected. However, since you’ve rented and don’t own the movies, what you want to do is illegal and not supported by this forum.

Please re-read the forum rules that you agreed to when you joined the forum before posting again. :cop: