A new audio card

vbimport

:confused:Hi,

my ‘sound’ died on my computer a couple of weeks ago. All I get is a ‘pop’ from the speakers with i power the computer up and down.

I figured it was the sound card. I have an HP pentium 4. 1.7 ghz, The audio is incorporated into the mobo.

I went to a local shop and bought a plug in audio (6 channel 5.1) and plugged it in to one of the expansion slots.

I went into the bios and disabled the ‘onboard’ system

I uploaded to driver and attempted to load. I then went to ‘device manager’ and found that the symbal for the new card had a little yellow circle with an exclamination point in it.

As I went through the ‘troubleshooting’ routine I found that the new card had installed not once but six times - once at one address, and then five more times at another address. Very efficiant since i only attempted to load it once!

When i populate the ‘sounds and audio devices properties’ window I get a device status message: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12) This indicates multiple conflicting installations,… right?

when I attempt to delete any of the installs it deletes them ALL!!!

Where do I go from here???

I’m running XP on a HP pentium 4 - 1.7 ghz SD Mobo. I have 1.3 ghZ of ram. with a cd burner and a sony dvd burner, and two on board 80 gig hard drives. I have roxio 9 burning software.

3M-TA3

my ‘sound’ died on my computer a couple of weeks ago. All I get is a ‘pop’ from the speakers with i power the computer up and down.

I figured it was the sound card. I have an HP pentium 4. 1.7 ghz, The audio is incorporated into the mobo.

I went to a local shop and bought a plug in audio (6 channel 5.1) and plugged it in to one of the expansion slots.

I went into the bios and disabled the ‘onboard’ system

I uploaded to driver and attempted to load. I then went to ‘device manager’ and found that the symbal for the new card had a little yellow circle with an exclamination point in it.

As I went through the ‘troubleshooting’ routine I found that the new card had installed not once but six times - once at one address, and then five more times at another address. Very efficiant since i only attempted to load it once!

When i populate the ‘sounds and audio devices properties’ window I get a device status message: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12) This indicates multiple conflicting installations,… right?

when I attempt to delete any of the installs it deletes them ALL!!!

Where do I go from here???

I’m running XP on a HP pentium 4 - 1.7 ghz SD Mobo. I have 1.3 ghZ of ram. with a cd burner and a sony dvd burner, and two on board 80 gig hard drives. I have roxio 9 burning software.

3M-TA3[/QUOTE]

Did you check in Add/Remove in Control panel to remove any previous installed software/Driver from the previous onboard ? Also did you go into Device manager and check in the “Sound, video, and game controllers” section to see if the onboard sound is still listed there? Just disabling the onboard sound through the BIOS should do the trick but you might have to located any remaining drivers in the windows O/S side to clear up and conflicts. Also did you check the HP site as to how to disable and add a separate sound card to your system?

Did you check in Add/Remove in Control panel to remove any previous installed software/Driver from the previous onboard ?

Nope, I’ll try that.

Also did you go into Device manager and check in the “Sound, video, and game controllers” section to see if the onboard sound is still listed there?

Yes, There’s a listing for Audio Codecs and another for Legacy Audio Drivers. I left them alone. There is a new listing for my ‘card’ and that’s the one with the yellow circle with the exclamation point in it. I can’t seem to figure out what other device is assigned the same address. Am I wrong in assuming that there are two units assigned the same resource address?

Just disabling the onboard sound through the BIOS should do the trick but you might have to located any remaining drivers in the windows O/S side to clear up and conflicts.
I was told that I’d have to disable the audio in bios. One of the things I did was to try to ‘re-enable’ the bios. That didn’t help. I went back and disabled it again.

Also did you check the HP site as to how to disable and add a separate sound card to your system?

I didn’t know about a HP site. I’ll try that,

Thanx

3M-TA3

I would remove all the legacy drivers as your new audio card will come with its’ own drivers and legacy drivers for your O/S. I have a suspicion that the legacy drivers if they were from the onboad are conflicting with the pci audio card drivers. It’s always best to remove the legacy drivers to be replaced with your new legacy drivers.