A mount rainier drive for my iBook

vbimport

My iBook has an old tray loading CD writer. I’d like to replace it with a new (tray loading) DVD writer.

Can you suggest me a slim-line tray loading DVD writer that supports the Mount Rainier standard?

Why do I care about the Mt. Rainier standard? Because linux 2.6 (that I’ve been using for more than one year on my iBook) has the ability to use DVD+RW media as floppies, and I’d like to use this ability.

So far, it seems that DVD writers that support Mt. Rainier are few and far between - VERY far between … I have a vague recollection that there might have been one, but not a slimline - it’s poften said that many of the chipsets ARE capable, just that the makers seems to have turned their back on this useful standard.

The official list is very small indeed:

DVD+RW/CD-RW drive

1. Philips DVDR1640 firmware version MR11
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by Royal Philips Electronics, The Netherlands.
  2. NEC ND-2500A firmware version 1.0M
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by NEC Corporation, Japan.
  3. Sony DW-R56A firmware version NDT1
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by Sony Corporation, Japan.

Not even sure if the supporting versions of those are actually generally available.

Mount Rainier on CD-RW had a fair degree of success, but the manufacturer apathy to it in their DVD writers is disgraceful

I have the 1640k, but i can’t find that MR11 firmware… does anybody know where to find it…

I want Mount-Rainier support!