A Mega Storage System

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded my home desktop PC, to a platform which is designed to be a very fast, mega storage solution and I thought I would share the results with you.

Key components are:

EVGA Z170 Classified mobo
Intel 6700K CPU
32Gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz C15 DDR4
Intel 750 400GB NVMe SSD as boot and applications launch drive
2 x Samsung 845DC PRO 400GB SATA SSD in Raid 0
2 X OCZ Vector 256GB SATA SSD in Raid 0
2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs in R0, used fro archive and backup.

The Intel 750 is plugged into the first PCIe slot, whose lanes are directly attached to the CPU (and hence will have optimum latency)

The Samsung SSDs and the Vectors are plugged into native Intel SATA ports and configured with a 32K stripe size.

Here are some AS SSD benchmarks with the CPU running at 4.7GHz and the Windows High Performance Power Plan engaged (so no emphatic attempt at maximising the results).

For the Intel 750 -

For the Samsung 845DC Raid 0 -

For the Vector Raid 0 -

Clearly these benches are fast and using an Intel 750 NVMe drive as a boot drive is a revelation, everything just snaps up like lightning.

However, I discovered the benefits of caching data in RAM a few years ago. So, I am using Primocache http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/ to place a RAM based cache over the Intel 750 and the Samsung and Vector Raids. Yes, that’s what the ludicrous 32GB of fast RAM is for. In my case I am setting a 20GB read and write cache with a 10 second write deferral time. I am also restoring the cache at boot time, so that I start enjoying a high level of cache hits from start up (this adds only a few seconds of time at start up as the underlying storage speed is so fast).

To illustrate what the cached speeds are like here are a couple of AS SSDs -

For the cached Intel 750 -

and the cached Samsung R0 -

Yes, lots of laughs we’ve all seen cached benchmarks before. But these are illustrative of the speeds you will actually experience when an IO hits the cache.

The big difference between Primocache and a RAM Disk is that Primocache automatically takes the data you are accessing regularly into the cache. With a write deferral period Primocache also enables trim activity to take place in the cache (where data is created and deleted within the deferral period, and even with just a 10 second deferral period it is surprisingly effective). Obviously, primocache also keeps a lot of ware and tare away from your NAND, thus prolonging endurance.

I started using Primocache when it was known as FancyCache - I have never had a single problem with it. I am a fan. You can use it for a cost free trial period - why not give it a go.

I imagine the user experience is much like it will be when Intel/Micron 3D XPoint storage becomes available, but I have it today.

Some words of warning - using a write deferral period increases the chance that you could lose data in the event of a system crash. So, it s not wise to use it if your system is not 100% stable. Ideally you should also use a backup battery power supply that kicks in, in the event of a power failure.

So what’s it like living with this new system? Awesome, it is just startling how quickly things pop up. I play games - they come up amazingly quickly, especially if the data has been cached. I edit and render video and photos using Adobe Photoshop/Premiere and the speeds change your view of how long things take.

A quick aside - I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and when I tried to use the key from my pervious system (which was an upgrade from a Windows 8.1 OEM license) it was blocked and as I didn’t have any other licenses to use I ended up having to buy another.

I’ll update my signature to have a full list of component parts.

Cheers, JR

[ENVYMODE]
[B]Drool[/B]
[/ENVYMODE]

That’s quite a machine. :clap::bow:

What case is it all crammed into? And what sort of tasks do you use it for?

Hi Ibex,

It’s all in a Lian Li PC-P80 case, which is big - http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/armorsuit-pc-p80/

I use the PC for many things, including video editing/rendering, video conversion, picture editing (Photoshop), Game playing, as a server to distribute content (films, photos, music) to clients on my local network.

Do I really use the rig’s full potential - not often, is the honest answer but I am a storage freak and it is my hobby and my only expensive obsession.

Regds, JR

It’s nice to see you make good use of such a nice setup. :slight_smile:

How long do you expect this computer to serve you before you outgrow it?

Hi Albert,

How long? It’s difficult to say when upgrade fever will next strike. I think I have found a permanent cure to the illness and then an evolved virus strikes.

S.W.M.B.O’d tells me this is the last time I can spend the kids’ inheritance on computer stuff. She thinks my study (computer room) is like a Boeing 747 flight deck.

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2760133]Hi Ibex,

It’s all in a Lian Li PC-P80 case, which is big - http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/armorsuit-pc-p80/
[/QUOTE]
Wow! That’s quite a case. :clap:

12 external 5.25" drive bays would be a dream come true.

You could ditch all the HDD cages, keep the Intel 750 and have room for a DW1640, PX-716, Premium, GSA-H10L, DVR-216, iHBS212, BDR-206M… (Nope, still not big enough. :sad:)

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2760133]
Do I really use the rig’s full potential - not often, is the honest answer but I am a storage freak and it is my hobby and my only expensive obsession.
[/QUOTE]
The first step is to admit you have a problem. (You’re in the right place. ;))

The second is to ensure those close to you never discover its full extent - they’ll only interfere and spoil your fun. :iagree::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2760156]

You could ditch all the HDD cages, keep the Intel 750 and have room for a DW1640, PX-716, Premium, GSA-H10L, DVR-216, iHBS212, BDR-206M… (Nope, still not big enough. :sad:)[/QUOTE]

Lol, I do have a blu ray, dvd, cd writer in the rig (It’s an LG one, but I forget its ID for the moment) - I also have a few DVD, CD writers on my spare parts shelf.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2760156]
The first step is to admit you have a problem. (You’re in the right place. ;))[/QUOTE]

What me, I don’t have a problem! :disagree:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2760156]
The second is to ensure those close to you never discover its full extent - they’ll only interfere and spoil your fun. :iagree::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Cheers, JR

Quick Update.

Dee let me know about an issue had at the launch of Z170. It turns out that when EVGA has added support for Intel Management Engine 1168 (or later) my Intel 750 will go somewhat faster.

Also, I forgot to set the cache mode to ‘write back’ in Intel Rapid Storage Technology so my Raid 0’s run faster.

Some revised benchmarks -

For the Vectors -

For the Samsung 845DC Pros -

Regds, JR

Hi,

I’ve had to replace my Lian-Li case as the motherboard tray had worked itself loose so that I could not fit PCIe cards into the case properly. I’ve replaced it with a Thermaltake Core X9 case - http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002562

I’ve also added a Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler with 4 fans (2 additional Noctua industrial fans as well as the 2 Corsair fans that come with the cooler) in a push and pull configuration, controlled by a Thermaltake Commander F6 fan controller. This is giving, what is for me, an unprecedented level of CPU cooling and headroom for overclocking. I’m currently running at 4.7 GHz on all cores and cache with an Adaptive setting of +100 and I’m not exceeding 64 degrees C in an AIDA stress test with the fans turned down so that they are hardly making a noise.

The Core X9 has masses of space and a multitude of options for mounting radiators. I really like the mobo being mounted flat so that there is no stress when mounting PCIe cards.

I’m very pleased.

Regds, JR

p.s. one of my Vectors has gone AWOL and I cant breath any life into it. It is the one I was given back in the day when I was a beta tester for OCZ, so it was severely hammered when it was young.

Now that is a great case

With all those fans running. How much noise is coming out of that case?

Jeremy, it looks like a huge case with a lot of potential for some serious water cooling.
I would say that I really like this case, but its to big for my desk.

Dee, I am sure that noctua and be quite fans cont make that much of a noise, but i cant say the same thing about the corsair stock fans, but with low RPM there should not be any major sound problems, and a lot of air to be pushed through the radiator :).

[QUOTE=Dee;2773633]With all those fans running. How much noise is coming out of that case?[/QUOTE]

If I turn them up full blast then it is a bit noisy but the advantage of having a push and pull arrangement is that I can run all 4 of the radiator fans at a whisper and still have relatively strong cooling. The 200mm front intake case fan is very quiet but still pulls a lot of air. I only run the 120mm (rear) exhaust case fan at a very low speed as the radiator fans are set up to exhaust.

So day to day, when I’m not playing with overclocking the CPU at silly speeds, everything is very peaceful.

The Noctua fans that I’m using to supplement the corsair fans are very quiet when running at relatively low speeds but get quite noisy when running at their top end of 3,000 RPM (as may be expected).

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=vroom;2773636]Jeremy, it looks like a huge case with a lot of potential for some serious water cooling.
I would say that I really like this case, but its to big for my desk.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it has a big footprint and is way too big to sit on a desk.

I’ll take a pic later and post it up.

Regds, JR

A pic -

Regds, JR

It looks great, especially the Corsair RAM in the background :slight_smile:
Is it me or the width is very close to fit three optical drives in a row?

I am waiting for Samsung 16tb SSD drives. Now get a whole lot of those in a NAS and your ready to go.

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2774090]A pic -

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]

Fantastic JR, I love the windowed case and the cube build. I am also putting together a new build but for a totally different use. My new build can sit on a desk or hang from a wall in your office above the desk. Its a Lian-Li Case. I am also using an Intel 750 1.2TB, totally fast enough for me.
I just love those cube cases, they probably stackable also and that makes it very expandable. Good luck with it.

Quick update

I’ve jiggled things around a bit.

I’m currently running with 8TBs of SSD storage and 12TBs (6 via USB) of HDD storage attached to my PC.

Details to come but I think I need to start a server farm :slight_smile:

Regds, JR