A little question about audio quality

vbimport

ok ok , i m a newb , and i was wondering if n e 1 can help me… (btw, this is just an example)

1. i DL a track named abc.mp3 (128cbr)
  2. i burn the track as an audio CD track using wotever software.
  3. then with the audio CD, i rip the track out again as def.mp3 while selecting 256cbr as output…

then here is the question:

Is the quality of def.mp3 gonna be worse or is it gonna be the same as the quality of abc.mp3 ???

At the best it is the same quality as abc.mp3. But all this converting between formats probably decreases the soundquality.

I guess your were hoping that somehow you got better quality music? :wink: That is unfortunately not possible…

Worse.
MP3 is a lossy format.
Every time you encode, you lose quality.

To make it short:
The quality of def.mp3 will be worse than abc.mp3, of course.
If you convert between lossy formats (different or equal - it doesn’t matter), you’ll always lose some quality (cascading effects). This doesn’t have to be hearable but technically spoken, it is worse.
Your 2nd point (recording as audio cd) is just an additional (lossless) step. This means, that the quality of your created cd and abc.mp3 is equal, since the same data will be sent to the soundcard at the end (MP3 files are being converted to PCM first).

Edit:

Upp3rd0G & minix, you were faster :slight_smile:

thx for the answers… :wink:

so in theroy, if i continuly transcode mp3 and PCM back and forth… will the track eventully be unheardable ??

and also, i would like to know how the whole MPEG1 audio compression works… and how it differs from the Ogg Vorbis codec…

thx in advance… :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by yuefungy2k
and also, i would like to know how the whole MPEG1 audio compression works… and how it differs from the Ogg Vorbis codec…

Well, it’s not simple at all ! Here are some very technical explanations : http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydrogenaudio/MPEG1Layer3
http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydrogenaudio/OggVorbis

…but maybe someone can provide a much simpler one.