A litte problem with burning movie on DVD+R DL?!

vbimport

Hello all,

I’m new to this forum, and I would like to post my experience & seeking some helps.

I success burn a movie on a Verbatim 8.5GB DVD+R DL after ripping the original with DVD Decrypter & burning with Nero 6. I used a Sony DRU-700A (same as Lite-on :o & that is why I post in this forum & forgive me if you think I post in the wrong… :wink: , cannot find Sony forum here)
Booktype as DVD-ROM. The burn movie on DVD+R DL disc play fine on 2 of my DVD players with the same quality.
However, there are some little problems

1/ In chapter selections, the cursor only moves in the first group of scene, if moves to second group, cursor could not be seen & cannot move around. The whole disc seems freeze & need to reject & insert again.
2/ In the middle of movie, it skips, choppy and jumps for 30sec, and then it plays fine again. I guess this where the first layer change to second layer.

I think that position of files on the original disc are different with the burned DVD+R DL lead to those problems, but I might be wrong.

If you have the same issue or any suggestion, please share.

Thanks in advance for your time to read this & your helps
Regards

You said: I think that position of files on the original disc are different with the burned DVD+R DL lead to those problems, but I might be wrong.

You would not be far off. It is correct to say that the way it is burned back is different. The rather “Seamless” operation of layer distribution and calculation of data placement in Nero might be the cause. What version of Nero did you use?

The position of the files may or may not be off, but that should not be causing this. The DVD format is inherently a data format. It looks for the data needed by what the file system says its at, not by some hard-coded physical location on the disc. This, plus the chopping playback at the layer change, would suggest that whatever you are using to read the disc is having problems. This may either be because +R DL already has lots of compat. problems (maybe it’s such that these problems occur only at the break) with existing devices, or it might be because your burner (using the buggy VY02 firmware) didn’t burn it very well. Try other devices, or try using a better firmware; that might help.

Thanks for your respond guys! Appreciated!

Zebra,
I’m using the latest Nero 6.3.1.15 & thanks for correct me when you said : “It is correct to say that the way it is burned back is different.”

Code,

I think you’re right about: " The position of the files may or may not be off, but that should not be causing this. The DVD format is inherently a data format. It looks for the data needed by what the file system says its at, not by some hard-coded physical location on the disc. This, plus the chopping playback at the layer change, would suggest that whatever you are using to read the disc is having problems."

When I tried to play the burn disc at my friend’s places on 5 difference DVD players, 4 of them played the movie perfectly without those problems I list above.

Apparently, some of DVD player have problem to read DVD+R DL media (even it booktype as DVD-ROM)
I list here those 3 DVD player model, just as info purposes for people may encounter the same issue:
Philips DVP642 (too bad since this a great player to most of video format… :confused: )
Toshiba SD-V392
RCA DRC232N

Regards

I also own a Sony DRU-700A . I finally found some Verbatim +R DL media at Best buy a couple days ago. Burned my first movie, using DVD decrypter and Nero as well.

I tried to watch the resulting movie in my Pioneer DV-655A player, which explicitly supports DVD-R and DVD-RW. The manual doesn’t say anything about DVD+R or DVD+RW, but until now all the +R disks have worked with it, as well as 2 out of 3 +RW disks. Because of this, I was hopeful that the +R DL media would work.

Quick tests showed that it worked - scenes at the beginning and end of the movie played fine. But a full watch proved otherwise. Around 88 minutes, the Pioneer player jumped ahead two whole minutes, presumably at the point of the layer change :frowning: Needless to say, this completely destroyed the movie. I had to switch to the original disk to continue watching (this was the first time I watched the movie).

Later one, after it was over, I tried that +R DL disk in my other living room DVD player, a Sony playstation fine. I specificially tested the point of the layer change that was giving the Pioneer player trouble. Amazingly, there was no problem ! But the Sony PS2 isn’t a good DVD player - it has a loud fan, doesn’t do progressive scan, and doesn’t read any RW disks …

I am afraid that unfortunately I just wasted my money on this Sony DL burner and Verbatim DL media .

Also, another point of data … The DL disc I burned does not read at all in a Lite-ON 811 drive with firmware HS0Q … I think it might be a problem with that firmware. I also have a video DVD that used to be readable with HS0E and no longer is with HS0Q. I would back out the firmware if I could, but I moved the drive to a non-windows machine so I have no way of doing so, unless someone knows of OS/2 or Solaris x86 software to backout the Lite-on firmware … DOS bootable floppy would also work …

madbrain

if you set the dvd+R DL to booktype of DVD-ROM before you burn using this app

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/Zip/BookType.zip

it should read on 811 fine also it could very well fix all your other problems.
with reading. See the units have no clue what booktype DVD+R DL is
but know what retail DVD-ROM movie is. so once your DL is set to DVD-ROM,
to the players its not any different then a retail MOVIE DISK.

Does Nero (and all the other proggies) add the (previously
removed) layer break? Does Nero alter the IFOs on-the-fly?

Sure. It has to. It does not do that on-the-fly, but before the burn process - just when sorting files of your DVD-Video project.

@DavesMan

Agreed. Its supposedly a “transparent” calculation that takes place, according to ahead as to how the data is distributed on each layer, let alone the layer break. From what I have read, its not all that complicated and the software vendors found it relatively easy to implement! Good news for all of us.

Try to use dvdmaestro to make a dl dvd and burn it. Since u can choose the place of the Dual layer break, you can make test to see if it’s the problem or not.

nb:
If you want info about dvdmaestro, make a search in yahoogroups for it… you will have plenty info there to make your dvd… It takes a certain time to do it’s first one, but the result is great…

Kenw,

The next next time I get a DL disc, I will try to set the book type.
However, I have several very old DVD drives that read the DL disc properly - the one in my Playstation 2, and a very old Toshiba SD-M1401 SCSI in my Sun Ultra60 workstation. To them, the booktype sure doesn’t make a difference.

The Pioneer DV-655A reads the whole movie on the DL disc except the 2 minutes in the middle of the disc at layer time change. The problem is not that the drive can’t read the 2nd layer. So, why do you think the book type would affect the ability of the drive to read those 2 minutes ?

With the 811 drive which can’t read the DL disc at all, I could see that it might make a difference, however IMO, even if booktype fixes it, this is a problem with the 811 that needs to be resolved in firmware, because it is the only drive which can’t read the disc at all.

Strangely enough, older devices might actually do better because they just ignore the booktype! :slight_smile: Newer devices, like the 811S, can get confused because they actually pay attention to the booktype. The problem with the 811S not being able to read it is a purely firmware problem (because the drive doesn’t know what to do if it encounters that booktype), and should be fixed in due time.

Another different, though similar, illustration of this newer-ain’t-always-best is the fact that newer Pioneer DVD-ROMs have more problems reading +R discs than older Pioneer DVD-ROMs. Might be something having to do with Pioneer being the #1 enemy of +R/W. :wink: But such things are rare, and in general, newer is better…

code65536, do you have any idea where I get the proper firmware for 811S that would resolve this issue ?

As far as Pioneer goes, all my +R discs worked flawlessly in the DV-655A in my living room. +RW are a problem but I don’t really care. However I really was hoping that +R DL would work properly, and it didn’t.

The fact that it has a problem in the layer change and jumps 2 minutes doesn’t sound like a booktype problem from what you are saying - it wouldn’t read the disc at all if it was. So it must be the laser not able to read the +R DL disc …

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an affordable (<$1000) living room player made by anyone other than Pioneer that has these features : region-free, DVD-Audio, and progressive scan. The DV-655A does it all for less than $200 …But it doesn’t read +R DL.

We’re still waiting for LiteOn to release such a DL-read-fix firmware…

I’m pissed i just tried to burn a full dvd using dvd decrypter and a dvd+r dl disk! I decrypted the dvd as an image and then put in my dvd+r dl disk and tried burning it using decrypter and it burned with no problem but not even my computer can recognize the disk? i used to burn single layer dvd’s this way anybody know why this didn’t work?

sullysmack

I think decrypter does not understand DL media , check their web page .

try dvdshrink

The latest version of DVD Decrypter does understand DL media. I burned my first DL disc (from an ISO image) using it a couple weeks ago. Plays fine on every player I have. The trick is to set book type to DVD-ROM.

it burned with no problem but not even my computer can recognize the disk?

VTS_01

I Dont think setting booktype to dvd-rom will help him because what he said about his pc, if the drive that wrote DL cant even read it, its sure not the book type.

where do i set the book type to dvd-rom? on dvd decrypter?