A great piece of software lost

vbimport

I used to have this really great program and LOST IT.:sad: It was freeware, it was configured to start when windows started. After it was in place it could see every thing that came into the computer, every thing that was installed and every place that it went (even the reg.) and you could, after something was installed, and from inside the little pop up box that was the GUI, could delete the program, the reg files and anything else that came with it. No need to uninstall it from within windows. An other nice part of the software was, that if a part of a program was changed or updated, it would show the changed files (how and where) and the deleted files were subdued with a line through them. If anybody knows where I can get this, and lets me know where, they will have my eternal gratitude.:bow:

Oh yeah, the name would good as well, but if you have it, that would be better.

Could have been WinPatrol :
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

[QUOTE=Clunker;2116211]I used to have this really great program and LOST IT.:sad: It was freeware, it was configured to start when windows started. After it was in place it could see every thing that came into the computer, every thing that was installed and every place that it went (even the reg.) and you could, after something was installed, and from inside the little pop up box that was the GUI, could delete the program, the reg files and anything else that came with it. No need to uninstall it from within windows. An other nice part of the software was, that if a part of a program was changed or updated, it would show the changed files (how and where) and the deleted files were subdued with a line through them. If anybody knows where I can get this, and lets me know where, they will have my eternal gratitude.:bow:[/QUOTE]

How did you loose it?? You mention loosing it but don’t give much info. How old was that program??

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2116519]How did you loose it?? You mention loosing it but don’t give much info. How old was that program??[/QUOTE]

Lightning Strike. :eek:It blew through the surge protector and everything behind it.:frowning: and I got it in 05, sometime or other, I think.

[QUOTE=jflan;2116472]Could have been WinPatrol :
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks:clap:, but thats not it. :(There was on sort of upgrade or better version, and that program (http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html) is significantly different.

could it be HijackThis?
You should check it out anyway

[QUOTE=Clunker;2116660]Lightning Strike. :eek:It blew through the surge protector and everything behind it.:frowning: and I got it in 05, sometime or other, I think.[/QUOTE]

Did you try to hookup the HDD to another computer to recover the HDD?? Also next time should get a higher quality surge protector goes along way to protecting computer equipment.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2116700]Did you try to hookup the HDD to another computer to recover the HDD?? Also next time should get a higher quality surge protector goes along way to protecting computer equipment.[/QUOTE]

There wasn’t much left, and that part of the house were the 4 computers were located had been incinerated by a direct strike, so a better surge protector would only have cost more and I would have lost more money. The computers themselves had been hit and all other electronic equipment in the house was dead. Ins, adjuster said more than likely it was an EMP that killed the rest.

[QUOTE=Clunker;2116717]There wasn’t much left, and that part of the house were the 4 computers were located had been incinerated by a direct strike, so a better surge protector would only have cost more and I would have lost more money. The computers themselves had been hit and all other electronic equipment in the house was dead. Ins, adjuster said more than likely it was an EMP that killed the rest.[/QUOTE]

EMP that something I haven’t heard in sometime…they do tell people never use computer doing electrical storms…just curious how did get a direct strike??? That just dumbounds me…

But going back to what your asking for help on as probably stated by me or other posters. The little in the way of informtion you provided doesn’t give us much lead to go on…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2116727]EMP that something I haven’t heard in sometime…they do tell people never use computer doing electrical storms…just curious how did get a direct strike??? That just dumbounds me…[/QUOTE]

EMP, (Electro Magnetic Pulse) and it happens far more often that most people know. As to the strike itself, it came down the backside of the chimney then penetrated the house, hitting the wiring and following that to the computer room where the most amount of metal was in one spot ( the 4 computers 2 fridges the metal rack the computers sat on the turn table that hooked into one of the computers the tape deck that hooked into the same computer, the VCR that hooked into the same one and so on) witch also sat on the only part of the house that has a concrete pad under it. Oh yeah, the electric was out at the time of the strike, no power, no way to be on the computers. So as not to offend, the dumbfounding of you must be that you have never seen lightning dance and the true power of it. It dumbfounds the ones that study it, so you are in good company not to understand.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2116728]But going back to what your asking for help on as probably stated by me or other posters. The little in the way of informtion you provided doesn’t give us much lead to go on…[/QUOTE]

I gave all that I can remember:doh:

[QUOTE=GamezR2EZ;2116695]could it be HijackThis?
You should check it out anyway[/QUOTE]

This is kinda of a cool program:cool:. It seems as if it can do some of the same things, however it is more complex than the one I have been lookin for. Nice program though.:smiley:

Okay, I now believe that it was some sort of uninstalling program. After going through Yahoo and Google search, I have found that it looked a lot like “Total Uninstall” however, the program that I had was freeware and you did not have to pay for it. For those of you reading this and wondering yourself, the program had “other” useful qualities that I can not post in open forum. That is the main reason that I want it back. Anyone wanting to know will have to IM me and I will try and explain. Thank you all for your help.:clap:

Sounds like Spybot S & D Teatimer…

No, it’s not Spybot S & D Teatimer or even Spybot S & D, thanks for the responce though. Let’s see if I can be a little more exacting on the thing. When I initially posted the request for help I stated that “It was freeware, it was configured to start when windows started. After it was in place it could see every thing that came into the computer, every thing that was installed and every place that it went (even the reg.)” and I apparently was not clear enough, so there goes. Once it was turned on it could see what you install on your system, that is to say that it did not go back and look to see what you already had on your system, it only seen what you put on after. In other words, if you had say a program in your system called “Boogereater” it couldn’t see “Boogereater”, but if you got the program that I’m looking for, and turned it on and then installed a program, and for the sake of a name and of clarity it was called “Freakozoied” it could then see “Freakozoied” and every place that it went and any files that it created and any file(s) it changed and all places in the registry, and if say “Freakozoied” was a trail version and you then purchased it, then the program would watch “ALL” of the changes and you could very easily look in the programs simple GUI and see “ALL” that had been changed. Now, for those of you that understand the potential use of what I have been looking for, you know why I want it back. So, once again thank you for any help in tracking down this thing.

probably not what you are looking for but as for uninstallers i like Revo Unsinstaller for currently installed programs and ZSoft Uninstaller for new installs. ZSoft uninstaller can analyze an installation to get all the information including the Registry. Revo uninstaller does alot more than just uninstall and it will also search the registry.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4

however neither of them are startup programs. :frowning:

[QUOTE=troy512;2117422]

however neither of them are startup programs. :([/QUOTE]

Well, the one I had did not have to start when windows started I just found the ini. file and put it in the start up file of windows.:cool: And thanks for the web sites, I’ll check them out.:clap:

Could it maybe have been this app here [B]JV16 PowerTools [/B]:confused:
http://www.oldapps.com/jv16pt.php