A good sata dvd-rom?

Can anyone please recommend a good sata dvd-rom drive?

Prefer something that’s quiet for playing games and dvd’s.

Got my eye on the Samsung SH-D163.
Any others?

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=joffy;1937280]Can anyone please recommend a good sata dvd-rom drive?

Prefer something that’s quiet for playing games and dvd’s.

Got my eye on the Samsung SH-D163.
Any others?

:)[/QUOTE]

Will it depends alot on where you live…we can give recommendation but where you live will also determine what is available in your region…also I would say reather then going sata dvd-rom they do have dvd sata burner…so that might be a better investment for your money…you can look at liteon site and see what drives they have on sata to see what you like about their product line…but as before mentioned for your money it best be getting a sata dvd burner as it will do the same but most likely would cost about the same in price…

I have not been too impressed with Lite-On drives but many others have been.
If in North America and looking for a Ron drive I also agree with coolcolors that for the price a SATA burner is a much better value.

I would recomend the Samsung SH S203b as many here would agree it is a great reader and a very good burner also.

In North America these drives can be purchased for about $29.00 CDN or USD.
Good luck in your search. :slight_smile:

I already have the 203B but want a rom drive thats good and quiet for playback.
I’m in UK.

[QUOTE=joffy;1937669]I already have the 203B but want a rom drive thats good and quiet for playback.
I’m in UK.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of a Ron drive so who makes it?? Also if the price between a burner and Rom drive is the same - I would purchase the burner in my opinion. If the the price of the burner matches the price of the Rom drives in the UK. Also you have to remember that a Sata performance in the cd/dvd drives is not any higher in performance then pata/IDE cd/dvd drives. The only time you get better performance is when comparing Sata to Pata/IDE HDD speed and performance. So the benefits of Sata drive is only that the motherboard comes with Sata connectors but boards still will have some IDE connectors on them allowing you to pick and choose what type of cd/dvd to put on what connectors be it Sata or Pata/IDE.

My board only has 1 ide socket and Jmicron must be on to use it and I think it causes errors with the sata writer.

[QUOTE=joffy;1938122]My board only has 1 ide socket and Jmicron must be on to use it and I think it causes errors with the sata writer.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried to add a pci sata controller card into your system???

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1938204]Have you tried to add a pci sata controller card into your system???[/QUOTE]

No I haven’t. Think things ok now i’m all sata.

Yo-

Don’t know why you are not satisified with the Samsung 203b for playback - as it is one of the best readers currently in the marketplace-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;1938350]Yo-

Don’t know why you are not satisified with the Samsung 203b for playback - as it is one of the best readers currently in the marketplace-eh!![/QUOTE]

It can be a bit noisy at times.

[QUOTE=joffy;1938401]It can be a bit noisy at times.[/QUOTE]

All high-speed drives – including read-only DVD/CD drives – are noisy at times. This is a byproduct of the very high spindle speeds that such drives reach.