A good PC for window server 2008?

vbimport

Hi guys after a long time without posting I think that finally It’s time to make a good return…

The issue is as follows:

I’m ordering the following spec’s to get a proper PC that can run windows server 2008.

The specs are as follows:

512 NVIDIA XFX GEFORCE 8500GT VGA DVI- HDTV
2X HDD WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB SATA
DVDRW LITEON SATA
LCD monitor Samsung or AOC…
AMD Phenom X4, socket AMD+ QUAD CORE
Logitech Keyboard / Optical Mouse Logitech.
APC UPS of 750 VA
PSU of 500W (Thermaltake apparently) I’m going to post it the Voltage range later…
2GB of DDR2 800mhz
Mother BOARD: MSI AM2+ K9N SLI-F V2

Since I provide support for servers so I wanted to built a system that can match an entry level server. I’m not too sure if a RAID 1+0 can work since I want to take advantage of the gaming and also try to emulate certain OS’s by using Hyper-V… like 98 or even vista…

Let me know about it! Thanks a lot

Hi,[quote=RazielCR;2086655]I’m ordering the following spec’s to get a proper PC that can run windows server 2008. [/quote]For a server OS, use server hardware.

The specs are as follows:

512 NVIDIA XFX GEFORCE 8500GT VGA DVI- HDTV
Some onboard VGA is enough

2X HDD WESTERN DIGITAL 160 GB SATA
Not that performant. What about Raptors or WD’s server HDD series?

DVDRW LITEON SATA
LCD monitor Samsung or AOC…
Logitech Keyboard / Optical Mouse Logitech.
Just a matter of personal preference.

AMD Phenom X4, socket AMD+ QUAD CORE
2GB of DDR2 800mhz
Mother BOARD: MSI AM2+ K9N SLI-F V2
Sorry, this is like a Porsche with VW tires.
8 GB RAM should be ok, Motherboard recommendation: Tyan Tomcat n3400B series.

Michael

RazielCR, your setup should work fine as an entry level server.

The video card is not really adequet for gaming that you want to do, look into the 8800GS, there is a XXX version that is like 100 bucks. Also HDD’s are pretty cheap you might want to get two western digtal 640GB drives, they use just two platters, onsale here. You might want to consider 4gb ram since its so cheap right now, 2GB might not be enough for server 08.

If you get a Phenom, get a 95W or 75W version.

I would honestly get a FSC Esprimo “Workstation” rather than some homebuilt thing…
//Danne

Hey Thanks for all the replies!.. The thing is that over here in my country is kinda hard to get such parts… we need to wait almost 2 months to reach some new recently released in the PC Market.

And you´re right… a Porsche motor in a VW tires… jeje that was a good one, I´m gonna ask if there´s something to do in the SB configuration… I asked for the platinum / diamond version but that´s the component in which they told me that takes around 1 month and a half…

The government over here has lame services in the terminal of incoming products in the airport…

BTW now this is the configuration

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8500 GT
DDR2 800 2GB
CPU: PHENOM 9550 2.2GHZ
MOBO: MSI K9N V2 SLI
PSU: —CODEGEN DUAL 500W----
+3.3V: 20A
+5V:30A
+12V1: 8A
+12v2:14a
+5vsb: 2a
-5v: 0.5a
-12v: 0.8a
HDD: 2Xsata WD 160 GB SATA

Another thing: Should I use a thermal paste even if the official heatsink cames with a Thermal paste preapplied?

And forgot…

1 optical drive liteon IDE
1 optical drive DV D+RW LiteOn SATA

You do realise that nForce isnt the way to go if you want stability not to mention Codegen PSUs (which is utter crap)?
Oh well… you can use the pre-applied one, it’s only going to differ a few degrees anyway.
//Danne

[I]“You do realise that nForce isnt the way to go if you want stability not to mention Codegen PSUs (which is utter crap)?”[/I]

Is going to be a problem? I installed the CPU and mobo yesterday and seems to work fine, the temperature shows about 38" degrees for CPU, even the fact that I couldn’t install a rear fan because is a bigger one and need to find one of 8 mm…

Nforce had issues with this?? Let me know, I think then it’s better to perform firmware upgrades then…

nForce chipsets have a bad history with drivers and data corruption.
Codegen PSUs are just pure crap, google if you dont belive me. A friend of mine had one (350W) lasted 12 months and it always had issues keeping correct voltage.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2090402]nForce chipsets have a bad history with drivers and data corruption.
[/QUOTE]

my nforce based linux server has been up and running for over a year now without data corruption, and with working NCQ

The thread indicates that this will be used as a Windows based server. Although the linux based dirvers you had been using fine for years now might be great for a unix\linux system, Windows may not be as kind, and it is a factor indeed to consider.

On another note:
I would suggest to go ATI they have known stable catalyst and MS based drivers, nvidia is a bit too risky for servers imo, especially if it is business/production dependant.

Further, what is the budge allocated for this, and what is the primary purpose of this server, graphics are usually not a large concern for servers as they are workhorse machines powered by as much CPU and RAM power one can afford.

[QUOTE=xtacydima;2090941]The thread indicates that this will be used as a Windows based server. Although the linux based dirvers you had been using fine for years now might be great for a unix\linux system, Windows may not be as kind, and it is a factor indeed to consider.

On another note:
I would suggest to go ATI they have known stable catalyst and MS based drivers, nvidia is a bit too risky for servers imo, especially if it is business/production dependant.

Further, what is the budge allocated for this, and what is the primary purpose of this server, graphics are usually not a large concern for servers as they are workhorse machines powered by as much CPU and RAM power one can afford.[/QUOTE]

considering that Windows drivers are developed by nvidia inhouse and linux drivers are done by programmers in their spare time, it would take a lot to suggest that linux drivers would somehow be superior in quality compared to windows drivers.

I don’t know why anyone considers ati’s catalyst drivers to be stable. there have been plenty of people who have had issues with the ahci implementation (or lack thereof).

If you consider nforce chipsets unstable, then ati chipsets are no better.

best to stick with professional level chipsets on server class motherboards if you want completely stability.

Servers always use little video memory, 8MB -16MB is the max that you’re gonna find. Let’s take the DL380 G5 for HP… loaded with an ATI Catalyst…

Anyway I’ve setup succesfully the PC, and I’m gonna look for another power supply because that codegen crap when I turn off the PC the optical mouse keeps blinking!! Over here believe me… it’s a $%^$ try to get some antec or Thermaltake… If I order one via Ebay, newegg it takes around 3 to 4 weeks to get here… and the taxes rate are too high for electronical devices… almost 30% for Mobos, ram, PSU, etc…

Maybe with my brother in law which lives in NY I can ask him to send me one, but the problem is that the next time should be sometime over december… damn!!

Someone news about some known good PSU??? At this point also for safety I’m using a 750W UPS from APC… I’ve even attached to that my PS3… jejeje :slight_smile:

Sorry… a generic known good PSU

[quote=seeker010;2090977]considering that Windows drivers are developed by nvidia inhouse and linux drivers are done by programmers in their spare time, it would take a lot to suggest that linux drivers would somehow be superior in quality compared to windows drivers.
.[/quote]

I completely agree, I was going on based on what you said, that they had been working for you for over a year now :iagree:
Off topic and on a side note, somehow it wouldn’t surprise me if inhouse homeade drivers were better.

Anyhow, I retain my earlier suggestion that a real server should in an ideal environemnt not really need a high demanding video card, so its best to stick to something basic.

Side note: Both AMD chipsets and nVidia are quite a bad choice if you want to run UNIX, while ATIs older chipsets works quite well (690G and Xpress 200) they arent ideal. If you want best drivers in general go for Intel chipset and Intel LAN/Broadcom LAN. Realtek and Marvell works too in general but they’re way behind Intel and Broadcom. Attansic which you can find on some Asus boards…

@ RizelCR
Your best bet would be Seasonic, Corsair (HX series perferably), Antec (Seasonic makes quite a few of 'em), or FSP where the first listed would be the most preferably choice.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/antec-psu-roundup.html
//Danne