A good enclosure for liteOn burners?

vbimport

Hello everybody,

I am planning to buy a LiteOn burner, at first mainly for scanning, and I wish to have it in an external enclosure, USB2 or Firewire.
I expect that many guys here have several burners, even sometimes many, and use external enclosures. :wink:

Can you advise enclosures fully compatible with features and performances of liteon drives, avalaible to-day in Europe ?

I have found several ones on american shopping sites but they do not deliver outside USA, or they charge twice the price of the enclosure for shipping :frowning:

In my favourite shopping site in France, they have a few enclosures, mainly Icy Box (a german maker) but they do not specify what chipset they use.

Thanks for an advice:)

Searching the web for compatible enclosure is just a waste of time.
Why don’t you buy a EZ DUB solution. Reliable and for sure compatible for burning at 16 or even 18x (20A1PU). :slight_smile:

Google for SHM-165P6SU or LH-20A1PU and I’m sure you’ll find a good external package for 60-65euro plus shipping (example pricerunner fr).

One thing you should be aware of for using LiteOn DVD burners for scanning in an external enclosure:

Unlike many other scanning drives, LiteOn drives will drop samples when scanning, and the faster you scan the more samples are dropped. When the drive is in an external enclosure, even more samples are dropped.

So if you scan at 16x in an external enclosure, more than half the samples will be dropped, while a 16x scan on an internal drive might drop “only” 25% of samples.

So you might get PIE/PIF totals that are close to half that you might get on the same drive when mounted internally.

This is important to know when comparing scans.

My LiteOn drives work fine in enclosures based on Prolific PL-3507 chipset. The only problem I’ve had (apart from the dropped samples explained above) is that jitter scanning with earlier versions of CDSpeed didn’t work. Whether this is due to the enclosure or because of the USB/FireWire connection is unclear to me.

Hi pinto,

What means EZ DUB ?

You are right, I found the SHM-165P6SU EZ DUB for 66 Euros

But isn’t this a built-in USB interface ? With an independant enclosure I could also change the burner and put other ones in the future or even exchange burners internal or external and reverse ?
:slight_smile:

Hi pinto,

What means EZ DUB ?

You are right, I found the SHM-165P6SU EZ DUB for 66 Euros

But isn’t this a built-in USB interface ? With an independant enclosure I could also change the burner and put other ones in the future or even exchange burners internal or external and reverse ?

Hi, DrageMester,
As you can guess, I am already tired to scan with Plextools It is really long! :wink:

If I scan slower than 16X on the LiteOn, is it not better, and yet much faster than with Plextools ?

Or would you advise to have the LiteOn internal and the Plextor external ? Or to have both internal but put my CD-ROM player outside (or use the burners as players ?) I have 2 x 5,25 locations in my Dell computer. :confused:

Where did you buy it ?

Not better, but definitely faster.

Or would you advise to have the LiteOn internal and the Plextor external ? Or to have both internal but put my CD-ROM player outside (or use the burners as players ?) I have 2 x 5,25 locations in my Dell computer. :confused:
Depending on the enclosure, you could have some problems with the Plextor drive. My Plextor PX-760A cannot perform secure Audio rips in my external Prolific PL-3507 enclosure and it won’t perform CD Quality scanning at faster than 4x, so I’m looking for an alternative enclosure.

My LiteOn 165P6S in mounted internally, in order to get the best possible 16x scanning.

You must decide for yourself, whcih drawbacks you want to accept. The drawbacks may depend on which enclosure you get.

Where did you buy it ?
The first two PL-3507 enclosures I got from Zitech in Denmark, but they don’t have them anymore. Then I got some more from SVP in the UK (this product). Please note that the power cables supplied from the UK are different from the ones used through most of continental Europe, so you need to get some standard power cables elsewhere.

Not better :frowning: ! But you said “the faster you scan the more samples are dropped”. Is not the reverse true ?

I suppose it is a matter of chipset. If we could know what chipset Plextor uses on his “external” drives, maybe we could find a a enclosure with the same one ?

And have you an opinion on the solution of the Liteon “external” package Does it work as well as the internal drive ?

Yes, and is is much less simple than I had imagined.

I will think it over, and maybe other people here have advices from their own experience.

Hi,

Description from Liteon’s marketing people.

But isn’t this a built-in USB interface ?
No. They install an internal drive into a plastic enclosure (Cypress chipset btw) and are done.
With an independant enclosure I could also change the burner and put other ones in the future or even exchange burners internal or external and reverse ?
This is the point with retail external drives. They are often built in a way that makes it hard to change the drive. My SHM-165P6S (former Sony DW-G120A) works good in eclosures with Cypress AT2 and Genesys Logic GL811. But I am not able to judge about the “dropped samples” issue described by Dragemester.

Retail external Plextor drives were equipped with NEC chipsets - at least the older ones up to 716UF. Unfortunately, they didn’t publish Win98 drivers for their latest 755UF drive, so I couldn’t look at.

Michael

Try running a Disc Quality scan on your LiteOn. When the scan is finished you can see the statistics including the Scanning Interval. Of the scanning interval is 1.00 then no samples were dropped. It won’t be 1.00 however. If the scanning interval is e.g. 1.25 it means that 1/1.25 or 80% of the ECC blocks were sampled, if the scanning interval is e.g. 2 then 1/2 or 50% of the ECC blocks were sampled.

I’m getting roughly 1.3 at 16x scanning with my 165P6S mounted internally and roughly 2.35 at 16x scanning with my 165P6S connected externally in a PL-3507 enclosure through FireWire.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. :bow:

Just tried a 16x scan and got 1.58 ECC. Since this was not a full disc (about 2.7 GB), the drive reached only 13.5x speed.
The same disc scanned @8x gives me a scanning interval of 1.31 ECC.

Michael

Internal or external drive? If external then USB or FireWire?

As usual, my ex-DWG120A in GL811E based USB enclosure :slight_smile:

Michael

That’s far better than I get with my PL-3507 enclosure, which IIRC is about a 2.35 scanning interval at 16x over FireWire.

Internally I get approx 1.34 at 16x scanning.

The USB/FireWire interface in the PC as well as the CPU might also have something to do with the scanning interval / number of dropped samples. This is not something I have tested, but it makes sense that these factors could also play a role.

Hi,
I was away from home for a few days. I can see that the discussion went on without me. :wink:

Well, well, it seems it is not so simple to put a burner in an enclosure. It is one more interface with potential compatibility problems and performance problems.

I think that if I buy a LiteOn, I will put it internally. I will have 2 internal burners and no pure player, but I do not need a player that much. :wink:

And this will leave time to solve the numerous issues raised by enclosures for different burners.

BTW, these enclosures problems seem to me they are not discussed enough in this forum, when compared to the need to use them and to the problems raised.

Hi,

:disagree: At least Liteon drives seem to be rather trouble-free if installed externally, unless your computer is equipped with a junky USB chipset or the enclosure’s chipset is poor.

And this will leave time to solve the numerous issues raised by enclosures for different burners.
There are not much issues with externally Liteon drives apart from the specials about scanning DrageMester mentioned. But this is something very special, and there are only few users recognising such.

BTW, these enclosures problems seem to me they are not discussed enough in this forum, when compared to the need to use them and to the problems raised.
That’s why there is the big external enclosures thread in the general ODD forum :bigsmile:

Michael

Yes, unless…, unless… these are question marks, and the availability of a “good” enclosure chipset in France is another issue. I am rather new in the DVD burning community, and I prefer to take difficulties one after the other. :wink:

OK, but one of the main utilities of an enclosure is to be able to change burners, thus you have to find an enclosure compatible with at least 2 different burners.

Sorry for this. :doh: I had not noticed this thread. I will try to read it. I shall need some time to understand everything. :wink:

Hi,

I bought my GL811E enclosures “blind” without knowing, what’s in there. But they were cheap. :smiley:
As a rule of thumb: Good chipsets are Prolific 3507, GL811E and Cypress AT2 (the latter is also used by Liteon and Philips for their retail external drives). And you should use a UDMA 4 capable drive to get maximum performance.

OK, but one of the main utilities of an enclosure is to be able to change burners, thus you have to find an enclosure compatible with at least 2 different burners.
Hm. It is not easier to replace an externally installed drive than an internally installed one. Admitted, this depends on the enclosure and the computer case.
The real advantage of external drives is, that they are sitting on the shelf, ready to use on (nearly) any computer. So, even getting two retail external drives is an option. At least there won’t be problems with the USB/IDE connection.

Michael

I find the Cypress AT2+ is much faster than the AT2. I only get a 7 MB/s burst rate and a lousy transfer rate curve with the AT2. Well, I think it’s an AT2. I’d have to remove the printed circuit board to be sure.

But the best external enclosures have no chipset. Straight SATA all the way.

Hi,

No problems here with my At2 based case. See http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=190288 for details.
Seems, there are some bad chips on the market.

Michael