A good DVD Burner for Movie Making

vbimport

Hello All!

I am looking for a DVD Burner that would be good for making movies with. I tried looking through the reviews but it seems all to confusing. Would anyone have any suggestions? I have been working with Adobe Premiere and plan on buying Adobe’s DVD menu creator program(which I can’t remember the name right now). I would be eternally grateful for your input :bow:! Thank you!

Joe

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A good burner it’s only one of the aspects of a good result. You need also to buy good media.

There are many good burners. You can get what you feel the better. If you use good media, results are good with any burner.

I suggest you a benq 1640/1650/1655. These are good burners, with a good firmware support. But, I repeat, almost any burner these days is a good one.

I would have to agree with geno. The quality of a burn is affected by three things the drive, the media and the firmware. Once you have decided I would suggest searching for the make and model and see what you get for firmware/media combinations to find the best for you.

Personally at the moment I can only recommend a 1640 from BenQ (are they still avaialble geno?) as thats the one I have, it has never let me down. I have never had a problem with Verb 16x discs and now I have 35 TYs to try. These two are considered the best discs out there.

In Italy 1640 is still available :iagree:

Thanks guys! I will look into the Benq drive, ill post my results when I get them. Thanks again!

:slight_smile:

Can someone tell me why the BenQ 1650 & 1655 lightscribe DVD Burners are recommended so often. Is it because they are among the cheapest sold online?

Eric

On NewEgg’s site the new Benqs are very poorly reviewed by folks who bought them, nothing but trouble and premature failure.

Although I like my 1640 the newer ones seem less robust, I also have an LG that I like. They both bitsett ( to DVD-ROM) and that’s a plus.

Not only are BenQ’s competitively priced, they are very good quality writers, about as fast as you can get for readers, and are pretty nicely supported by BenQ.

Making movies with as burner?

A burner is for burning, as the name tells us.

Use good media.

Eric they are being more recommended as more people try them and like them. 1650 is for those who don’t want the lightscribe technology and 1655 for those who do.

Mystic, that’s why I read the reviews and people’s comments here and rarelyat the shop sites. When things don’t work out just right then the problem is tracked down a lot faster as opposed to a number of people who buy them and then complain without putting in the effort to find out why. It could be anumber of things the people complaining could be using the wrong settings in the software, poor media, even have it set up incorrectly in the PC itself.

Good point chef. The quality of the output is dependant on a number of things including the software used, settings, quality of the original file. Those are things that would have to be experimented with to find out what works best for GI.

@jayC30

Mystic, that’s why I read the reviews and people’s comments here and rarelyat the shop sites. When things don’t work out just right then the problem is tracked down a lot faster as opposed to a number of people who buy them and then complain without putting in the effort to find out why. It could be anumber of things the people complaining could be using the wrong settings in the software, poor media, even have it set up incorrectly in the PC itself.

No they where talking about premature failure of the drives themselves.[I]

Cons: 3 months old …DEAD. door won’t open save your money

Cons: The drive failed after 42 days…

Comments: Worked for a month, then after it just stopped working. Will not open or close, didn’t seem to be responding.

Comments: … Drive purchased in April, worked fine and then up and quit.[/I]

That is what warranty’s are for…I have a 1640 and 2 1655’s (only one in use currently) and could not be any happier (with the exception that the 1655 writes to TYG02’s kinda unsatisfactory for me), but the 1640 takes care of those without a hitch (note my signature). I would definitely give a recommendation of either of these burners without hesitation. A good manufacturer stands behind their products, as Benq does.

Following MysticEyes lead I visited Newegg and found the following reference the BenQ DW1655:

Worthless…Garbage

Pros: None

Cons: Slow, makes lots of coasters with all brands of media, locks tray nutil reboot, software disc full of spyware. Absolute garbage. No BenQ products ever again.

Other Thoughts: Die BenQ, Die!

Reviewed By: N/A, 4/30/2006 11:07:29 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is high and has owned this product between 1 month to 1 year.

Lightscribe not worth it

Pros: burns cd’s and dvd’s

Cons: Lightscribe failed to function.Tried reinstalling Nero software, Lightscribe software, BenQ drive. Contacted BenQ support; they failed to remedy.

Other Thoughts: At least it burns the data. Lightscribe is not worth the money (extra drive cost, extra media cost, extra time cost)

Reviewed By: bloomoon, 4/29/2006 8:54:51 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is high and has owned this product between 1 week to 1 month.

Bad Luck

Pros: Cheap for a Lightscribe drive

Cons: My first drive took forever to read cds and dvds, every cd I burned turned out to be a coaster, the dvds that I burned sometimes had files that it wouldn’t read, the drive wouldn’t even read/install the NERO disks that it came with. I RMA’ed the drive, and got a new drive with the same problems. Decided to buy a different dvd burner instead of pay shipping to RMA this again.

Reviewed By: matteorr, 4/19/2006 5:27:16 AM
This reviewer reports that his/her technical understanding of this type of product is average and has owned this product between 1 month to 1 year.

You get the idea. When you pay only: Sale Price: $42.99 you get what you pay for.

Eric

Those complaints seem like they may be a bit more about user error than bad drives. Unfortunatlly (possibly because the market has forced prices to stay so low), it not as simple as throwing a drive in and it works with any media. You can try a dozen name brand medias and if they are all crap or not well supported then you are screwed. As most media (in the US anyway) is becoming 16x (whats advertised cheap anyway), you are defanatlly going to have problems if dma settings are wrong. You can run pio and get about 10x reading and writing (thats been my experience anyway) so it didn’t cause a problem with 8x and slower media. Also, the fitness and speed of your system comes into play with these fast burn speeds, not to mention there is not much for top quality 16x media (compared to all the top quality 4x and 8x medias).
If you learn to use the drives right and learn what the best medias are (and unfortunatlly you do have to learn these things), the benq as well as other work great. If not, the benq as well as others don’t always work so great. It would be nice if there were drives that burned any media including crappy stuff but there are not many. the only one I am aware of is the 3500 (in my experience at least and that is with mad dog firmware).

That can happen to any company my first NEC drive which was a 1300A died in 6 months, I RMA’d it. Would that make all NECs worthless? Think how many drives they make then think what percentage of drives die, it happens. I have found from personal experience (I used to work for QVC when it first started in the UK) you hear more from those complaining then those who are happy. That is why I said I prefer to read the reviews and comments here and point my friends here if they are thinking of upgrading. They are more balanced.

Eric I wouldn’t be too sure on that the Philips drives tend to be rebadged BenQs and the beige one being sold under the philips name on SVP for £19.99 (~$35.98) is a BenQ1650. The price of drives had to drop it was logical after all the same happened to CD RW drives. The NEC that died on me cost me £99.99 at the time.

I have to agree with you ripit, a number of people aren’t willing to learn about things where PCs are concerned. Though this is to be expected given the PC literacy of the average user nower days? Everything I know to do I have learnt by just fiddling my way through when a problem arose (before I found here that is), now instead of friends doing this if something goes wrong they are on the phone to me. Another reason I point people to this site.

Where media is concerned I do sometimes blame the shops. Someone in PC World (if anyone should know they should) recommended Ritek G05 to a friend of mine as the best media. Luckily he didn’t buy any, he talked to me when I got back from holiday, and I pointed him to SVP and told him either Verbs or TYs. He bought TYs and bought me a pack to try too :smiley:

I have a 1655 about 3 or 4 mts. old with at least 200 burns and it is not failing,if you look into it,you will find that in most cases the complants i read about are more about the computers psu.I will say perhaps the benq are more senitive to psu and there are mods to add a cap to the 5 volt line.
Bruce

Ps I Would not belive one word i read on newegg.
Bruce

Very interesting. I guess the whole world and everyone in it are liars? All but you I suppose. :rolleyes:

I would give no credence to any statement by one who would brand all who post at NewEgg as liars. Nor someone who can’t spell believe or realize the “I” should be capitalized. I imagine you would also have some illuminating thoughts on the various races and religions of the world.

Mystic there is no need for that please don’t go down that road. You have been on this forum long enough to know better than to try and flame bait, regardless of percieved provocation.

braynes that last comment was uncalled for and more importantly unecessary.

I am sorry I did belive I was helping,I can not appear to edit it out so if will ask a mod to remove it.
Bruce