A few scanning questions

vbimport

Hi Every one. Question? When scanning a disc using Nero cd-dvd speed, what should the PIE, PIF be? Below a certain number or above a certain number on the chart? I never used nero cd-dvd speed to check a disc.

Thanks inadvance
Mr. Bill :bow:

[QUOTE=Mr.Bill;2021214]Hi Every one. Question? When scanning a disc using Nero cd-dvd speed, what should the PIE, PIF be? Below a certain number or above a certain number on the chart? I never used nero cd-dvd speed to check a disc.

Thanks inadvance
Mr. Bill :bow:[/QUOTE]

All depends what drive you have :slight_smile:

If you use a LiteOn (or other MediaTek drive, such as Samsung) drive for scanning, “acceptable” limits are PIE max = 280, and PIF max = 4, but all the better if it’s below that.

For BenQ, I can’t recall as I never use my BenQ for scanning unless asked.

Then there’s jitter…which has been the source of much debate among us all. :wink:

And don’t forget a Transfer Rate Test - just as, if not more, important IMO :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2021234]If you use a LiteOn (or other MediaTek drive, such as Samsung) drive for scanning, “acceptable” limits are PIE max = 280, and PIF max = 4, but all the better if it’s below that.

For BenQ, I can’t recall as I never use my BenQ for scanning unless asked.[/QUOTE]

If we’re talking about decent burns, for a BenQ, PIE max should be no higher than 150. PIF max should be no higher than 8.

Thanks Arachne. I use Liteon disk drives. How do I do a jitter and transfer test. And Do one do the scans on the blank disc first or after the movie is burned?

Thanks Again
Mr.Bill :bow:

Thanks negritude :flower:

@Mr. Bill - what LiteOn drive do you have? Only recent-ish ones can do jitter.

As for the TRT - with the Benchmark tab open, and the burned disc in the drive, go to the Run Test menu, and select Transfer Rate.

What you’re after is a nice smooth upward curve. And yes, you run the scan/TRT after the disc has been burned.

Hmmm, we’re hijacking negritude’s thread a bit. I’ll move the scanning stuff to it’s own thread for further discussion :slight_smile:

Hi Arachne

Thanks for helping me. I have a old lite on SOHW 832S with firmware ver. VSOM. I laso have a lite on 1693S with firmware ver. KSOB. And my newest drives is. I have two DH20A4h lite on Light scribe drives with fermware ver. QP53. I know you are wondering why so many lite on drives. Because these’s seem to give me good results. Hope this help you to help me.

Thanks
Mr. Bill :bow:

OK, you can definitely scan for jitter with your DH20A4H’s, to my knowledge. Go to the Disc Quality tab in CD-DVD Speed, and click the little “Advanced” button - there you should see “Scanning Interval” option (leave it be) and “Enable Tests”…check the box for “Jitter (DVD)”.

The jitter will be scanned straight after the main quality scan, takes some seconds, but not long. :slight_smile:

Your LiteOn DH-20A4H can scan jitter (with the latest CDSpeed). The 832S and 169S cannot scan jitter - at least not in a useful way.

The whole “shouldn’t go over 4 PIF max” rule should [B]not[/B] be taken super seriously.

Anyone who throws out discs because a few singular spots here and there scan with 4 or so PIF are morons. The tests aren’t scientific and don’t predict if the disc will work in a player.

They can tell you why a disc isn’t working in a player in some circumstances or if the disc is deteriorating over time.

Using it for saying disc A is better than disc B because A has less errors, is wrong. Disc B might scan with more errors but could have another 20 things that make it superior to disc A.

So general conclusion is don’t be overly fussy and don’t expect one disc to work better than another because it scans better.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2021574]The whole “shouldn’t go over 4 PIF max” rule should [B]not[/B] be taken super seriously.

[B]Anyone who throws out discs because a few singular spots here and there scan with 4 or so PIF are morons[/B]. The tests aren’t scientific and don’t predict if the disc will work in a player.

They can tell you why a disc isn’t working in a player in some circumstances or if the disc is deteriorating over time.

Using it for saying disc A is better than disc B because A has less errors, is wrong. Disc B might scan with more errors but could have another 20 things that make it superior to disc A.

So general conclusion is don’t be overly fussy and don’t expect one disc to work better than another because it scans better.[/QUOTE]

LOL.
I usualy throw media out when i find a big nasty pif clump, starting with 4PIF and going up to 6/8PIF.
Singular spikes, even 8 PIF is reasonable, at least my plextor does that on TY verbatim, while burning @12x.

Yes clumps can be bad. I wouldn’t blame someone if they are a bit fussy and throw out clumps that make up a thousand or more PIF just by themselves but a little spike here and there is fine IMO.

Hell I even keep the clumped burns. I’m not wasting a disc if it works perfectly in all my players.

Absolutely :iagree:…but I thought I should give him something to work from with some kind of “acceptable” (note the quotes!) limits. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2021643]
Hell I even keep the clumped burns. I’m not wasting a disc if it works perfectly in all my players.[/QUOTE]

Haha same here. If it plays fine, and I can copy the data back to my HDD should I need to, I’m keeping the disc. I’ve got plenty of CMC discs with wall-to-wall PIFs (max 1 or 2), but after 3 years they’re still in my collection.

I see quality scans as a good way to check for deterioration after a period of time…but other than that, pretty much a bit of fun :wink:

Guys and gals,

For BenQ/Philips drives, PIE Max < 280 and PIF Max < 16 is acceptable. Also, jitter should not exceed 11% for any length of time.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2021574]The whole “shouldn’t go over 4 PIF max” rule should [B]not[/B] be taken super seriously.

Anyone who throws out discs because a few singular spots here and there scan with 4 or so PIF are morons. The tests aren’t scientific and don’t predict if the disc will work in a player.

So general conclusion is don’t be overly fussy and don’t expect one disc to work better than another because it scans better.[/QUOTE]
Very true, I had a disk scan with a 2 PIF/95 Overall score, froze up on 3 different standalones, scanned with a different drive, same scan result, still froze.

Thanks every body for all of your help. I will play around with Nero Cd/DVD speed. Now that I have some idea how it works. If I have any problems I will let you know.

Peace
Mr.Bill :bow: