A few questions regarding DVDFab since the problems with the AACS LA

vbimport

I’m not a DVDFab customer, nor do I recommend their programs very often, other than the free choices that they offer, but I am curious about how the updates work at this point.

Do US citizens still get updates for decryption for their copies of DVDFab that they purchased before this suit was lost in the US?

Is the trial, with decryption, still available for US customers? Will the free section, DVDFab HD Decrypter, still be available worldwide? And will updates to the free section still be offered in the US?

Passkey is the other subject. Will the trial still work worldwide, and will any updates (for both the free version and the paid) be applicable regardless of where you live?

If I’m going to give recommendations for decryption, I’d like to know what I’m talking about with more certainty than I have now regarding the DVDFab products. :slight_smile:

I think I can answer most of those questions. The product [B]DVD FAB[/B] is still under litigation. You cannot buy it in the USA. But people that already own it,will get updates with decryption forever if they own the lifetime version. Now I want to remind you that the USA is only affected here,the rest of the world and it is a massive market can still buy DVD Fab with decryptions. I say that because we are an international forum, and I don’t want people to think that DVD FAB is going anyplace, it is not. And it is entirely possible that they will win the litigation. So lets not get hasty here.I am a big proponent of letting people makeup their own minds, this has been an issue for many years and to date not one company has been shut down, I admit some have been intimidated into shutting down but that is not the case with DVD FAB. For US customers, their is BLUFAB now, and if they want they can buy another decrypter, there are a few.The same goes for Passkey, not available but who knows, I don’t, so I wouldn’t close the door right now. Its still availableto try for free, and then if the litigation is positive for Fab the customerscan buy it if they wish, no money lost.

If this program is found to be against USA law, and it is far from any verdict, just for now it is against USA law to sell it, the situation is very fluid at the moment and it could go either way. But do not leave out the rest of the world,the USA is not the end all here.

The free decrypter is in a fluid situation also but I believe it is available. Not really sure as I don’t use it. Remember their is another very popular Decrypter that has been threatened, but still provides access to the USA so I would never say that this is over.

I think you know now with more certainty that DVDFAB for USA customers is not available right now but the situation is as I say fluid, and may change at any given time.

My understanding of this situation is that the court in New York has given the AACS-LA the power to order anyone doing business with DVDFAB in the USA to terminate their business relationship. Avangate (the previous payment processor) has an office in the US and therefore received an order and chose to comply. Hence DVDFAB is using Alipay (a Chinese company) to process their payments.

Mastercard and Visa (two US credit card companies) either never received an order or are still litigating with the AACS-LA which is why they still accept payments for the merchant DVDFAB.

Alipay is payment processor however Mastercard and Visa are the method of payment.

Alan can correct me if I’m wrong. Since we had this discussion before.

Aren’t some members of this forum affiliated with DVDFAB?

I really am not sure to what extent so I would rather not discuss who is and who isn’t as it really doesn’t matter. What matters is that this is still being litigated and no final resolution has been handed down. It was just adjudicated in England that you are allowed to back up your owned Blurays so maybe and I say this not knowing anything more than you, why wouldn’t the same thing happen here? And to my knowledge all this only affects the BD components of DVDFAB, all the other decrypters and programs for DVD are still for sale to my knowledge. Again, this is just my understanding from informed sources. If you read the other forums, you can read the same things I do. I have no inside information. I just pay attention to what’s happening. There are no free programs that will decrypt Bluray with the frequency of updates that DVD FAB or a few other top tier programs do. They are all payware, yes there are freeware programs that decrypt Bluray to other formats but not with the ease and proficiency that DVD Fab does. But right now if you own it, you can use it, if you don’t they cannot sell it to you because no payment processors will take payments for the BLURAY modules in the program. That’s all I know. This can all change on a dime, nothing has to my knowledge been written in stone as of yet.

Looks like they are trying to clear up the questions regarding decryption in their programs in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f116/disc-decryption-free-versions-dvdfab-335966/

And it looks like I will be recommending only MakeMKV for [I]free[/I] Blu-ray decryption from this point forward.

AnyDVD HD is still available for anyone who wishes to buy a decryption program in the US.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2725429]And it looks like I will be recommending only MakeMKV for [I]free[/I] Blu-ray decryption from this point forward.
[/QUOTE]
It seems to be the last remaining option unless you have picked up a blu-ray decryption/copying program as a giveaway.

All along I thought it wasn’t a good thing when some of these programs started relying on internet connections for the decryption keys.

That works ok as long as the said company continues support but what if it is stopped?

I understand the concept that new schemes and decryptions come out all the time yet if the decrypter locally houses all keys up to a certain point, then at least all previous titles are covered.

It would be informative to know which last version of dvdfab does hold (all) previous up to that date titles keys. I wonder if their free decrypter holds fairly much every key to a certain date?

As long as MakeMKV continues as it has, at least we have one good source for free decryption.
The bad part about this is MakeMKV has a date related register that makes it useless after the given allotted time period therefore it will have to be downloaded again (or perhaps a new key for the program can be entered?, don’t know about that since I haven’t tried it).

[QUOTE=Steve33;2725567]As long as MakeMKV continues as it has, at least we have one good source for free decryption.
The bad part about this is MakeMKV has a date related register that makes it useless after the given allotted time period therefore it will have to be downloaded again (or perhaps a new key for the program can be entered?, don’t know about that since I haven’t tried it).[/QUOTE]
So long as MakeMKV remains in beta, you can always get a current though temporary key for the program here.