A few questions on Blu-Ray burning

vbimport

Okay, I have backed up single layer blu-rays without any issue using AnyDVDHD and IMGBurn. I have done some reading around here and elsewhere but I still need clarification on a few things. I have no interest in extras, movie trailers or BD live. A simple menu and the high def video and audio in english is all I want or need. As I understand it there are ways of doing such things without going through the hassle of going through BD Rebuilder. I about put a sledgehammer through my computer when I tried to get the old DVD Rebuilder to work with it cluster-mess of required programs and the hours I wasted and never got the stupid thing to work. I have read Kerry’s guilde on BD-Rebuilder and it hasn’t given me any more confidence in the new program.

Anyways, end rant. I notice that in AnyDVDHD that they have the speed menu option, I tried enabling that last night to see if it would save me any space but when all the ripping was done the target file still came out to about 42GB. So simply put, is there a simple program that will allow me to remove the extras and possibly the menu that will work with AnyDVDHD and IMG Burn?

Well there are many different ways to do what you want since there are a good many x264 gui front-ends.
And I think a few of them can rip.
The sticking point though is your mention of a “simple menu”.
There are not very many programs, freeware that is, that can do menus and if you dislike BD or DVD Rebuilder…likely you wouldn’t care for that one either.
Anyway the program is called MultiAVCHD.

If you can live without menus, then you choices open up a good bit.
Others surely will come on and give you their opinions as to what they use.

I use either dvdfab decrypter or MakeMkv to copy full disc to hard drive.

I like BDtoAVCHD if all one wants to do is to do away with the menu and choose the main movie only.
It has selections to make a mkv, or BDremux…that means no re-encode.
This program is self-contained which means one doesn’t need to install any other program.

It will be hard to beat BD Rebuilder however if one plans on compressing BDs to fit on single-layer blu-ray discs.

As Steve pointed out, the menu is the sticky part. Menus in Blu-ray are more complicated, and very few free programs will deal with them.

MultiAVCHD can make one, but even after several years of playing around with that program, I find it to be cantankerous and it often times fails with no warning. It is not for those with little time to apply to the problem.

I suggest using BD Rebuilder in its newer mode that isn’t covered in my old guide. Jdobbs has added this mode, called Movie and Menus, which automatically blanks out extras. If there are extraneous audio streams, you can remove them by hand once you import the movie.

The good thing about using BD Rebuilder is that you can complain to me in here if you get stuck. :slight_smile:

I wish there was a tool like DVD Remake Pro - just for Blu-Rays.

Tell me about it. Really what I want is something simple that will allow me to take advantage of the AnyDVDHD speed menus. I could be wrong but those seem like they would save a lot of space over some of the super-fancy menus that are on the blu-ray discs and they certainly are reported to be more efficient.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2683885]I wish there was a tool like DVD Remake Pro - just for Blu-Rays.[/QUOTE]

The closest program for that is probably Clown_BD BD Copier.
It is apparently finicky to use, and there aren’t any guides for it. I haven’t tried it personally, so I don’t know much about it.

There is also BDEdit, but it is really more like a blu ray version of PGCEdit. BDEdit looks hideously complex, and it is yet another tool I haven’t gotten around to working with very much.

Jester…if you only want one HD audio stream and the video, why bother with a menu at all? You can keep subtitles and access them through your player controls.

It would be much simpler to make main movie only backups.

And if you don’t want to compress the movie, this is very simple to do in Clown BD…I use this one quite a lot on smaller blu ray movies that will already fit onto a single layer blu ray.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2683927]Jester…if you only want one HD audio stream and the video, why bother with a menu at all? You can keep subtitles and access them through your player controls.

It would be much simpler to make main movie only backups.[/QUOTE]

Here is the question. Do the in-movie menus still work (ie the ones you can access within the movie). If I can still do that then I concur that the main menu is kind of a moot point.

In movie menus? I’m not sure what you mean. The player controls are still functional if that is what you mean…selecting subtitles, other audio streams if available, chapter points, fast forward and reverse. All of those are part of the player software, or the hardware player controls.

You won’t have BD Live, or Java menus, or access to internet content.

By in-movie menus, I mean the ones that can pop-up while you are still watching the movie.

Pop up menus would be lost when making a main movie backup.

Oh well, I guess I will try BDtoAVCHD and see how it works. Now I just need to find a guide for the sucker.

If you want menus… back to BD Rebuilder.
I think you can select whole disc in it and it will compress entire disc contents on single layer blank disc.
Personally I have never done that as I generally don’t want menus anyway, just main movie.

Really, BD Rebuilder isn’t that hard to use, and once the auxiliary programs are installed correctly, you never have to mess with them again.

Try the Movie and Menu mode in it.

Really I have to agree with Kerry, BD Rebuilder once everything is installed and a few adjustments in ffdshow and use the inspect exe. to make sure everything is setup correctly, it is clear sailing after that.
And the program is easy to use and will do just about anything one would want to do IRT blu-ray.

Even though BDtoAVChD can compress, I never use it for that.
I mainly use the program to remux main movie only, sometimes downgrading the audio if I can make main movie fit on a disc.

I believe BD Rebuilder can encode faster therefore I use it for compressing to Blu-ray disc.

This is just my method, likely you will find most of us don’t re-encode as much nowadays and simply prepare blu-ray files to store on hard drive.

So from what info you gave us, if I were in your situation, I would try out BD Rebuilder, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
Kerry can help you out along the way as he already mentioned.

And you can use BDtoAVCHD for remuxing for movies that will fit without the need for re-encoding, I really like the program myself.
It won’t hurt to fool around with these 2 programs and see how they work.

Okay, I will test it out tomorrow. I appear to have everything setup and ready to go and BD Rebuilder seems to be responding the way it should. A couple of questions though:

1. About how long does a movie only backup take? I recognize I will probably need to rip it to HD via IMG Burn first, but I was just curious how long it would take since most movies via the movie only will fit without any compression?

2. Also I can’t seem to find the menu and movie option in the setup, just the full disc, movie only and Quick Play backup. I believe I am using the latest version from the Doom9 link in your guide v0.43.06 beta

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2683987]1. About how long does a movie only backup take? I recognize I will probably need to rip it to HD via IMG Burn first, but I was just curious how long it would take since most movies via the movie only will fit without any compression?[/QUOTE]
That depends on your hardware, mostly CPU I guess. I don’t think x264.exe is using GPU to accelerate encoding. You can also select between different quality settings (Settings->Encoder Settings) that also influence the encoding speed. I configured my PC to use “Better (Faster)” and need between 10 and 20 hours for re-encoding a complete Blu-Ray on my Core2Duo E8400

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2683987]Okay, I will test it out tomorrow. I appear to have everything setup and ready to go and BD Rebuilder seems to be responding the way it should. A couple of questions though:

1. About how long does a movie only backup take? I recognize I will probably need to rip it to HD via IMG Burn first, but I was just curious how long it would take since most movies via the movie only will fit without any compression?

2. Also I can’t seem to find the menu and movie option in the setup, just the full disc, movie only and Quick Play backup. I believe I am using the latest version from the Doom9 link in your guide v0.43.06 beta[/QUOTE]

Liggy is right about the speed of your cpu being one of the primary factors in the time it takes to process the video. If the movie will fit without re-encoding, it doesn’t take much time at all. Probably no more than it takes to rip the movie to the hard drive using AnyDVD HD. If you need to compress it, you have a lot of options that will influence the duration of the encoding. The slowest way is to go with a two pass encode at the Highest quality setting in the Encoder Settings. The fastest one is the High Speed Option for BD 25gb.

If you only need a small amount of compression to fit onto a 25gb disc, the High Speed Option should be fine. Or use a CRF one pass encode.

I’ve been using the CRF setting for a while, and going to a two pass High (not highest) quality setting for larger movies that need a lot of compression. Encoding times vary a lot for me, depending on the amount of compression, but with my i5 Ivy Bridge 3570k processor, it takes between 4 and 6 1/2 hrs to do a backup.

I am using version 0.43.06. The Movie and Menus option is found under Mode, but I forgot that you have to enable it first. Look in the INI file in the BD Rebuilder folder and add this line: ENABLE_TEST=1
Here is the post where jdobbs announced this mode: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1526277&postcount=12911

By the way, if you run into any problems with the auto blanking in Movie and Menus mode, you would have to switch to Full Backup to keep the menus, then manually blank out parts you don’t want. That takes some extra effort, previewing each little section before removing anything.

And to enable manual blanking, you have to change one more setting in the INI file. Change ENABLE_BLANKING=0 to ENABLE_BLANKING=1.

You can also access these settings from within the program by clicking File–>View/Edit Config File.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2683987]Okay, I will test it out tomorrow. I appear to have everything setup and ready to go and BD Rebuilder seems to be responding the way it should. A couple of questions though:

2. Also I can’t seem to find the menu and movie option in the setup, just the full disc, movie only and Quick Play backup. I believe I am using the latest version from the Doom9 link in your guide v0.43.06 beta[/QUOTE]

I have a 3 yr. old i7 and “High Quality” (slow) movie only encodes take me 5-6 hrs. Rips to HD or iso take 40 min. to just over an hr. depending on the size of the movie. Usually start it before bed time and when I get up I have a copy already burned with Imgburn. If the movie only can fit on a BD25, it only takes about an hr., it’s the compression/encoding that takes time. Don’t know about menu and movie options, I’m only interested in the movie.