A few questions.. ie. should i keep the cd-rom?

vbimport

Alright after researching dvd burners i have decided on the BenQ 1620.

My computer currently as it stands is…

AMD XP-mobile over clocked to 2.4 ghz from 1.8 (i am into overclocking and this cpu is pretty much the best, regardless if its a lap top cpu)
OCZ platnium dual channel 512 ram
NF7-s 2.0
80gb western digital harddrive
ati radeon 9800 pro
arctic silencer vga cooler
92 mm tornado fan attached to an aftermarket cpu heatsink …swiftech.
hardcano 12 lcd unit to keep 4 temps and 4 fan speeds under check.
cd-rom
then a case that had a 420-450 watt power supply included

1. now what i am wondering with all these cooling devices and the rest of my parts using up wattage form my PS, will there be enough for me to run a dvd-burner and a dvd-rom?

2. is it fine to ditch my cd-rom for the two combination? i play battlefield: vietnam often and i have to have the disc in the cd-rom to play, so would i stick it in the dvd-rom? will it read as fast?

3. I am not sure what software i am going to get with the benq 1620 but is there any additional software or F/w that i should get or download after i get the drive?

i will use this drive to back up my ps2 and dvds and keep the real ones locked away so they won’t get damaged. like a carbon copy…

Thanks guys

1. Should be ok, cooling stuff doesn’t really use too much wattage, but keep the fans on their own supply, ie don’t share with any HDs if you can help it.

2. DVD Rom will read plenty fast enough for you games.

3. Well burning software will help (Nero or similar) :wink: As will Dvd decrypter and dvd shrink (if it’s not a D/l or using single layer disc).

There is loads of info in the various forums that you can search for. It does help to research yourself (on here) as you learn more. That said I know from experience that it can be hard when you don’t know where to start.

Welcome btw :smiley:

thank you for the welcome daneR

i appreciate you answering my questions.

i will go out and buy it tommorow.

i understand that any name brand dvd-rom should be fine, correct?