After spending several days on this site and cdrlabs and cdrinfo, I am sold on the BENQ for the following reasons
1) It's fast
2) It's reliable for dvd+r media
3) It has good compatilibity
4) It has good error detetection for burned discs (jitter and PI/PIF). I like the fact that I can test my data to make sure there are no errors after burning.
I don't really care about backing up games so the problems with game copyright protection do not bother me. I do care about backing up dvd movies but it sounds like this product will do that job.
But I still have a few questions.
1) Why does cdrlabs say that many drives are faster while this site says that it's the fastest?
When writing at 16x, the drive took a little more than 6 minutes to write 4.38GB of data. While not as fast as some competing 16x DVDÂ±RW drives, it's a big improvement over BenQ's previous DVD writers in the DW800 series
Very fast writer, so far it holds the speed record.
2) Is there a firmware update out yet for the update from 2.4x to 4x for DVD+R9 DL? if so can someone provide a link?
3) Does the latest firmware update have all of the previous updates as well? Or do I have install every firmware update released?
4) What is the cheapest reliable 8x and 16x media that people are using and where did you get it? I realize that there may be several good ones out there....I just want to know what is working well for people and where they got it.
I don't see anything but 4x media at retail stores.