A few questions about CloneDVD

vbimport

Hey Everyone,

I’ve gone throught the trial version of AnyDVD already. :frowning:

I’m thinking of buying CloneDVD and AnyDVD in the package together, but I have a few questions first.

1. Can I burn my movies to 1 DVD with CloneDVD? I read in a review online that you had to burn movies to 2 DVDs.

2. When my 1 year of upgrades is up for CloneDVD, do I have to pay $39 to get upgrades for the next year?

3. If I pay the $59 for both of them, do I just get the registration keys or do I get the actual programs mailed on CD?

4. I’m currently using DVD X Copy Platinum to burn my movies. Will my copies be better using CloneDVD and what are the advantages to using CloneDVD and AnyDVD together, besides Olli’s tremendous help? :slight_smile:

I’ve read over the FAQ’s, but really couldn’t find any of the answers to these and couldn’t find an FAQ for CloneDVD, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much!!!

You can copy the movie to one DVD-5 (single layer). CloneDVD will compress the movie as required. I normally split at 80% or lower. You can also copy longer movie to two DVDs for the best picture.

I believe you get a lifetime update with CloneDVD and AnyDVD.

Probably a download with the web purchase.

Some have said that they could see a better picture. Others like me don’t see it. A lot depends on the level of compression. Some programs may do better at very high compression. For me, I just split the movie to 2 disc. Don’t need to waste more time compressing a movie that MAY result in inferior picture.

1.Yes,You can copy DVD-9 into DVD-5(just using"Copy DVD Titles" or “Clone DVD”)
2.NO,You do not need to pay update after next year(according to Olle past post)
3.You will get the registration key,if you want to get CD version it will more expensive and take much time
4.I also have DVD X Copy Platinum but I don not like its warning screen,so I uninstall it
Which one will be better is depending on what you need…
I like to use CloneDVD2+AnyDVD to backup my DVD movie because they are stable ,can do what I want to do,and Sheep

:slight_smile:

I remember reading that statement in another thread but didn’t get a chance to comment on it.

Why do you split at 80%, do you see quality difference with lower %? and on what screen do you see it?

If I copy something for myself, I usually split at 70-80% quality as well. Reason: I use a very unforgiving display, a 2.7 m wide 3-Chip DLP 1280x720 HDTV projection. (Has been a Barco Graphics 808S at the beginning of CloneDVD development, which is now being replaced with a more modern SIM2 HT500 E-Link)
This is a very unforgiving setup, but really great to check the transcoding with my own eyes (and not with some testing tool, which can give you “numbers” but never the “subjective feeling” for the picture)
I personally don’t mind splitting, because
1.) CloneDVD splits very well, although the UI could be improved
2.) Single layer media is very cheap
3.) I don’t care, if I have to switch discs, as I have to get a fresh drink anyway
4.) The DVD drive is next to my chair, if I don’t need a drink :slight_smile:

WooHoo!

I just bought both AnyDVD and CloneDVD and I’m currently downloading the 2.7.2.1 version of CloneDVD and the new version of AnyDVD.

I hope that the registration keys that I just got will work with them. :slight_smile:

I’m so happy now!!!

Thanks for all of the help, Everyone! :bow:

I could guess with 60% accuracy (double blind test) about the compressed material around the 70 to 75 quality level. Plus, it’s much faster for me to burn two DVDs with no compression than one DVD at 55 to 60% compression. I have a 600 MHz PIII, so the transcoding time of long movie can take up to 55 min. I use a standard 17" NEC FE700 CRT monitor @ 1152x864 resolution.

Finally, by having 2 DVDs at full resolution, I could rejoin them in the future using a larger capacity media (HD DVD, Blue Ray, etc).

Not sure why this question popped in my head but here it goes! !

@ ollie, I hear so many people talk about they use other programs besides CloneDVD sometimes to back up their movies,

My question is, do you use any other’s besides Clone sometimes? to do some back-ups?

Hi all! I am a past user of dvd xcopy platinum. After spending $150.00 of my hard earned dollars, plus the company going belly-up and no support (save for afterdawn forum, thank goodness), I will be purchasing clonedvd2 + anydvd after my trial period is finished. I must say I am very impressed with the support and on-going up dates. These programs appear to be, IMHO, the best bang for the buck.

No, CloneDVD does all I want.