A Few AVI files will not play on my DIVX

I have been VERY PLEASED with my new Samsung dvd player. I have been able to put many movies on one DVD, etc. with excellent quality. Recently, I downloaded Michael Jackson music videos from youtube and converted them to AVI files. However, when trying to play them via DVD or flash drive on the Samsung DIVX player, the screen reads “FILE NOT:confused: SUPPORTED”. With one of them, when trying to transfer “We Are the World” to the flash drive, it stopped to say. “Properties are missing”…What am I missing???

Use MediaInfo to compare ones that work to those that don’t to see were your problem is.

I take it “mediainfo” is a website?

I am trtying to post the info but this site won’t let me copy and paste…I don’t understand this information…Any advice would be appreciated…Fran

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188709&stc=1&d=1247524448

Switch to ‘Text’ and you can copy/paste:

Video
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 20mn 40s
Bit rate : 1 034 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.196
Stream size : 153 MiB (87%)
Writing library : XviD 50

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Duration : 20mn 40s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 137 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 132 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 20.2 MiB (12%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Writing library : LAME3.90.

I am so sorry that I do not know what you mean when you say “switch to text”…

Open the file with MediaInfo. Then, at the top of the window in MediaInfo click on View. There are several different settings there, where you can get more detailed information. One of them is Text.

After opening the music video with mediainfo…this is what it read…thanks for the lesson…I am not sure what this information tells me. If I am frustating you all, I am sorry…Does this tell YOU anything about why I can’t get my DIVX player to support this AVI file…Does copyrighting come into play? MJ videos are the only two that I have not been able to put on flash drive or DVD…

General
Complete name : C:\Users\fran\Desktop\Michael Jackson and The Jacksons Motown 25 Performance Part I (2).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 36.0 MiB
Duration : 5mn 55s
Overall bit rate : 850 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf52.14.0

Video
Format : S-Mpeg 4 v2
Codec ID : MP42
Codec ID/Info : Microsoft MPEG-4 V2
Duration : 5mn 54s
Bit rate : 742 Kbps
Width : 368 pixels
Height : 208 pixels
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.388
Stream size : 31.4 MiB (87%)

Audio
ID : 1
Duration : 5mn 55s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Stream size : 4.07 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 26 ms (0.65 video frame)
Writing library : LAME3.97

Most likely because your Samsung DIVX player player does not support this,
" Codec ID : MP42
Codec ID/Info : Microsoft MPEG-4 V2

VLC should be able to play it, however I believe you’ll need to convert/re-encode to AVI, using the Divx or Xvid codec for DivX standalone player support…

Try AviDemux or VirtualDub, AutoGk etc…

yes it plays on my pc on both vlc and media player…I will start from scratch and do as you suggest…Thank YOU!!! I have homemade and other Youtube videos that play just fine on my divx player so i keep thinking it has something to do with these two videos… I will try again!

I know some but not nearly enough. I thought that to get downloaded dvd’s to play on my DIVX player, I had to convert or make sure the file is an AVI file…That is true isn’t it. I mean…is there other extensions I should know about? DIVX (or XVID) isn’t a file extension is it? I mean I can’t convert an flv or wmv to divx, can I? It has to be AVI, right? Thanks for all of your help. the only way i get to learn is from people like you on the internet.

[QUOTE=Bichons9;2307824]I know some but not nearly enough. I thought that to get downloaded dvd’s to play on my DIVX player, I had to convert or make sure the file is an AVI file…That is true isn’t it. I mean…is there other extensions I should know about? DIVX (or XVID) isn’t a file extension is it? I mean I can’t convert an flv or wmv to divx, can I? It has to be AVI, right? Thanks for all of your help. the only way i get to learn is from people like you on the internet.[/QUOTE]
AVI is a container, in this case it contains " S-Mpeg 4 v2, MP42, MPEG-4 V2" which will not play on your Samsung.

Notice my AVI which contains:

[I]Video
Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID/Hint : XviD[/I]

Some Divx files end in .avi, some .divx.

from youtube and converted them to AVI files.

You converted to a format your Samsung won’t play. Many Divx players will play plain Xvid AVIs and many free converters handle FLV.

Not that you want or need to know but…I got it to play on my DIVX player–WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!! I took it back to WINAVI to convert…clicked that drop down box for output directory and saw 4 options: 2-xvid and 2-DIVX. I chose one that changed the MB from 48 to 120. I put it on my flash drive into the DIVX player and it worked. The Audio was great but VIDEO WAS SO BAD, I took it out. I went back to WINAVI and decided to try one of the options that said HD ???, thinking it would give better quality. It changed the 48 mb to 350 mb. I stuck it into my DIVX player and it said “File not supported” And so, I got it to work but wasn’t worth the awful product. I will just wait and burn it in windows movie maker when i get more to put on the DVD…I just don’t get it. I can embed that video on any website but can’t get it to play in DIVX format…Thanks again!!!:o

Oh…I didn’t know that. I have never seen .divx and of course the phrase" xvid AVi" doesn’t mean anything to me. i usually just download movies where i do see xvid alot. I shouldn’t have made such a big deal out of this but it was driving me nuts. When you say “free converters can handle flv”. I did use an flv converter but it gave me that awful mpeg4-2 thing.

I just thought you would like to see what WinAVI converted it to but was awful video:
General
Complete name : C:\Users\fran\Desktop\MJ. wmv (2).AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 120 MiB
Duration : 13mn 5s
Overall bit rate : 1 283 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 146 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.166
Stream size : 107 MiB (89%)
Writing library : ZJMedia MPEG Encoder

Audio
ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Stream size : 12.0 MiB (10%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (29.99 video frames)