A DVD+/- drive seems to be the solution - or not?

I just posted the article A DVD+/- drive seems to be the solution - or not ?.

The BBC has an intresting article on their website about the DVD format. As we all know their are currently two camps, the DVD minus and the DVD plus format, both backed by major companies in…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4710-A-DVD_--drive-seems-to-be-the-solution---or-not-.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4710-A-DVD_--drive-seems-to-be-the-solution---or-not-.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m waiting to buy into a hybrid, I’m going to hang on for the NEC Writer. Although this format war should never have been allowed to develop, it probably has had the affect of getting prices of these new devices down to a more realistic level quickly. Personally my preference lies with the +R/RW camp. It’s technically superior and since Microsoft are backing it there’s a fair chance it’ll be the -R/RW camp that dies a death. Or maybe they won’t and perhaps both products will run side by side until Blu-ray replaces them both. Who knows?

Sorry to have to bring this up, but whoever wrote this article needs to brush up on their English. Write it something like this: The British Broadcasting Channel has an interesting article on their website about DVD formats. Currently, there are two formats, DVD- and DVD+, both backed by two major companies, Sony and NEC. Sony and NEC are about to release two new DVD recordable drives that are able to write to both the DVD- and DVD+ formats. At present time, owners of DVD+ drives cannot write to DVD- disks and vice versa. The release of these two new drives may or may not solve the problem. Yet, the question remains, which type of media is a person to use?

We have quite a few here in the lab. Sony’s DRU-500A has quite a few problems, and NEC’s looks fine. Personally, I’m holding out for Plextor’s first model drive. :slight_smile:

Have you any info on what brand the Sony Internals are ? Some people say it’s a rebaged drive…

Noone has ever brought up one single point which makes dvd+ technically better than dvd-. Lots of people are able to quote stuff from dvdplusrw.org, without understanding why most of the points there are no advantage, or not even true. But without the existence of dvd+, i would not be able to get Verbatim DVD-R media for less than 4 Euro per piece :slight_smile:

I forgot: Techincally, the article is complete crap. Another try of someone to write an article about a topic without basic knowledge on it. A DVD-RW does not need to be formatted, unless you intend to do unsecure, instable packet writing (see the burning software forum about why packet writing is :r, regardless whether cd-r(w) or dvd±r(w)). Pioneer recommends to full-erase a dvd-rw before first use, but the problem is that the writer has lower writing quality on crap discs, if you don’t erase them before. Good media does not need any kind of formatting or full-erase. There is not much support for it, since it can be read without any special support for these discs. A player which does not read high quality dvd-rw media has either a firmware bug which refuses “dual layer discs without a second layer”, or are artifically locked. For crap media, you need special support of course, but this is not different for cd’s either. Let these formats fight against each other forever, lowering media prices!

PreacherBoy, What problems does the Sony DRU-500A have that you know about? Any links appreciated. I’ve already pre-ordered this. Thanks.

DoMiN8ToR: Definitely not rebadged. You’re going to have to learn not to believe misinformation put out there by fanboys. Made in Japan by Sony. PCB says Sony. I don’t remember exactly, but I believe it has a Texas Instruments DVD chipset. SciFer: E-mail me.

DoMiN8ToR: Definitely not rebadged. You’re going to have to learn not to believe misinformation put out there by fanboys
That’s why I am checking and have not devoted a newspost to it…

IIRC, it is not compatible with Mitsubishi 2x DVD-R media. Someone one doom9 has just confirmed that with “trial&coaster”-method.

@PreacherBoy [quote] We have quite a few here in the lab. Sony’s DRU-500A has quite a few problems, and NEC’s looks fine. [quote] What is that lab you’re talking about? Can you make a review of both drives, with write/reading speed test for all formats (except DVD-RAM of course!). Thanks.

Work. No. EDIT- Of course, the Sony DRU-500A is now available at local electronics stores, so the reviews should be coming in soon.