A device to stop text while driving

vbimport

http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-interviews-katasi-ceo-about-texting-and-driving-195250260.html?fbmark=katiec2014

A device already exists. It’s called a ‘brain’.

Unfortunately, many people don’t have a working one. :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2743144]A device already exists. It’s called a ‘brain’.

Unfortunately, many people don’t have a working one. :doh:[/QUOTE]Amen to a voice of reason, it shouldn’t be that hard to figure out, eyes on the road.

Like the quote:
Please place brain into gear before you open your mouth.
Same applies to texting .

With your brain in gear you should know not to text & drive.

Since cell phone jammers are illegal (according to the FCC) .
Although I like the idea of one for my car with a range of about one block .

All we need are more laws but I think there should be a law passed that applies to all occupants in a car . No cell phone use while the car is being driven.
That way a detector could be pointed at a vehicle by an officer to detect cell phone use. Like they have with radar for speeding.
For those that say : Why the passengers too ?
Same reason as "Open Container " laws for passengers.
Or can anyone think of a reason an adult passenger can’t have an open container of alcohol ? Except it makes it too easy for the driver to hand it to a passenger.

The cell phone companies already have the needed technology to disable texting while the phone is moving. Motion sensors in the phone, GPS, and more. If they really wanted to stop this they could. Its only a matter of time before someone sues the phone company for not protecting them against their own behavior.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2743144]A device already exists. It’s called a ‘brain’.

Unfortunately, many people don’t have a working one. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Yeah it never ceases to amaze me how senseless some people can be.

I think it’s crazy to even read texts while you’re driving.

Writing them while you’re driving is just insane. :rolleyes:

There’ll be a few candidates for the ‘Darwin Awards’ in there for sure.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=CDan;2743162]The cell phone companies already have the needed technology to disable texting while the phone is moving. Motion sensors in the phone, GPS, and more. If they really wanted to stop this they could. Its only a matter of time before someone sues the phone company for not protecting them against their own behavior.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I can’t text even if I’m a passenger on a bus.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2743185]Nice. I can’t text even if I’m a passenger on a bus.[/QUOTE]

Or even a passenger in a car. :iagree:

I don’t think it’s feasible to block these on the basis of motion as it would affect too many legitimate users as well.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2743185]Nice. I can’t text even if I’m a passenger on a bus.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2743295]Or even a passenger in a car.

I don’t think it’s feasible to block these on the basis of motion as it would affect too many legitimate users as well.

[/QUOTE]

As I already posted I think all cell phone use in a moving vehicle should be stopped & fines applied for violators.
The reason is it is too easy for a driver to hand their phone to a passenger. Or the passenger doing the texting but the driver is still distracted with a “look at this text” from the passenger.
It is the same legal precedent as the open container laws applied to adult passengers. For example in my state it is illegal for me to drink a beer or even have an open beer bottle in my possession in a moving vehicle as a passenger. There is no reason this distracts the driver anymore than if it was a bottle of water. Water would be legal .
The reason for this is the driver may have been the one drinking but the beer is handed off to the passenger. Also it makes it easier on the police if the law is for all passengers as well as the driver.
Tell me do you want me to drive down the road watching a movie ?
I haven’t checked recently but this used to be illegal .
Or how do you feel if I put a bag on my head & drive ?
As far as I’m concerned not much difference from texting.
I bet even if the bag didn’t cause a wreck the first cop that saw someone driving with a bag over their head would pull them over. I doubt they would only get a citation . Maybe they would just be arrested . I think they would be sent to the psych ward .

There’s a campaign in Denmark relating to this. They have tv commercials with the slogan:

What are you doing when you drive a car? [I](Hvad laver du når du kører bil?)[/I]
[B]Drive the car when you drive a car![/B] [I](Kør bil når du kører bil)[/I].

It sounds better in Danish.

//youtu.be/9JPO-i_f-jE