A Couple Quick Questions

Ok, well I was wondering:

1. Can I use Alcohol 120%(or any software) to make a PS2 game backup without a mod chip?

2. How exactly do I load a CD image to my virtual drive to play a game?

3. I can mount a game CD-ROM image to a DVD right?

4. Can I just burn a game image to a CD, load it for virtual drive play, and it use it for installing the game with the same CD? (It’s BF2 by the way.)

I can answer question 1. You do not have to have a mod chip but you have to have some sort of means of fooling the drive. You cannot just play a copy. Another means besides a mod chip is to replace the cover of the unit with a special cover. You start it with a special disk, then pop open the top on the special cover and swap the disks (the playstation doesn’t know disks have been swapped since the drawer was not opened), and you can play your copied game.
You cannot just play a copied game under any circumstances except maybe a mod chip. When the playstation first boots the disk, it looks for copyguard areas of the disk (bad sectors I think), and these copy guard areas cannot be reproduced with a burner. The mod chip lets it start without looking for the copyguard areas, the pop top covers allow you to swap disks after it has checked the copyguard area of the disk and it doesn’t know you changed disks so it doesn’t go looking for the copy guard area again. Thier are probably other methods but you cannot just play a copy in an un modified playstation.

> 2. How exactly do I load a CD image to my virtual drive to play a game?

Since you’re using alcohol, just open alcohol and use the mount image option. You can probably also do so from within explorer by right clicking on the .mds file.

> 3. I can mount a game CD-ROM image to a DVD right?

If by DVD you mean a virtual dvd drive such as that created by alcohol, yes. [Obviously, you can’t mount an image to a physical drive.]

> 4. Can I just burn a game image to a CD, load it for virtual drive play, and it use it for installing the game with the same CD? (It’s BF2 by the way.)

In theory, yes but in practice loading an image from a burnt cd/dvd doesn’t always work. Certainly, you should be able to install from the image unless it’s corrupt. However, it may not play.

Also, since the game is a recent release, you may well run into virtual drive blacklisting problems when attempting to run it from a virtual drive. I suggest that you search the forums for solutions to any blacklisting problems that arise. (You will find answers. :slight_smile: )

[Nb. ripit has already answered your first question. :clap: ]

Why?
Can’t a 1:1 copy of the cd be made that includes all errors, weird sectors and so on?
(no, I’m not exactly an expert in cd copying…)

In the case of a playstation disc the answer is no. If you want to have a look at what the technically minded forum members have investigated/discovered about the boot protection, look here but be warned that if, like most of us, you don’t have much tech know-how, you’re not likely to understand too much of it.