A couple of questions from the new guy

vbimport

1.) I noticed just today that as I back up DVD’s (LDW 411S) that the buffer on Nero goes up and down, up and down, etc. throughout the burn. Also, when the light has always been red while I burned, it now switches between red and an orange/yellow color, seemingly in conjunction with the buffer. Lastly, the “remaining time” on Nero reaches 00:00 about half of the way thru the burn. This is the first time this has happened. I went looking for answers, which led me to this fine forum. As a side note, the back up seems to work fine. If anyone knows what is happening and how to fix it, I would appreciate some help.

2.) The more I read about updating my firmware and such, the more I am intrigued. Is there a newb guide floating around anywhere that would explain how to most easily and safely do this, and also what benefits I stand to enjoy. My current firmware is FS02. I enjoy learning and tweaking, and would like some guidence.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Up n’ down… up n’ down… and the red/orange flash? Sounds like you are running into lots of buffer underrun errors. This is caused by the system being unable to deliver data fast enough to the burner. Make sure your system is not too overloaded. Not too many thing running in the background, using CPU/memory. And most importantly, make sure that DMA is enabled for the drive (feel free to post a question asking what that is if you’re not sure). Having DMA disabled for an optical drive causes looooots of problems for drives by every manufacturer, and one symptom of DMA being off is what you’re describing here.

Also, FS02 is really old. You probably want to upgrade to a newer firmware. Though I doubt that this is the cause of this problem, newer firmwares tend to result in better performance (not always true… actually, I think that for the 411S, the latest firmware isn’t all that great… I think that the firmware released right before the current one is the one that people recommend… go poke around the LiteOn forum).

How would I go about telling if DMA is / is not enabled? Also, what was the number for the firmware prior to the latest? Lastly, how about that newb guide?

If you haven’t defragmented your Hard Drive in a while you might want to do that as well. This could contribute to your buffer underruns too.

Originally posted by miboesch
How would I go about telling if DMA is / is not enabled? Also, what was the number for the firmware prior to the latest? Lastly, how about that newb guide?

1. Go into the Windows device manager. To do this, right-click on My Computer and hit properties. On 2K/NT, it’s under the Hardware tab, and on 9x/Me, it’s also under one of the tabs (can’t remember which).
  2. Select IDE/ATAPI controllers
  3. Select either the Primary and Secondary channel (depending on which one your drive is attached to), select properties, look under Advanced, and it’ll tell you what transfer modes (PIO or DMA) is being used.

As for firmware…
You could first try FS0J. Chances are, it’ll work just fine. But if it gives you problems, you could downgrade to FS0H.

hmmm a newb guide for firmware would be very helpful. Ive been looking through the forums on this site and keep seeing things about firmware but nowhere can i find what is really is (god i feel like an idiot). I would love if someone could maybe just point me in the right direction on finding a newb guide on firmware

thanks a bunch~

Originally posted by miboesch

DMA Guide

For the Firmware Update. (Lite-On Drives)

Download the correct firmware for your drive.
Remove discs from drives.
If it is zipped then unzip it.
There should be a xxxxx.EXE file.
Run the file.
It will say something like “are you sure” or “drive found do you want to update”
Hit yes.
Pray.
All done.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

No worries. Did you get it fixed?

Alright, problem went away for awhile. Now it’s back. Firmware is up to date, and everything is on DMA that will switch to DMA. One question. Does the harddrive have to be set to DMA, or the burner, or both. I’m getting a bit frustrated, but I imagine the knowledge and experience around here can help.

It is best for all your devices to have DMA switched on. HardDrive, CD Burner everything.

As for your Nero question. The latest version fix’s the time remaining bug.

Changelog from Nero 6.3.1.10 to 6.3.1.15
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9839