A couple of questions about Fuji media

vbimport

1. I was looking to get a 5 pack of Fuji DVD-R’s because they are the only TY discs I’ve found in any store locally. To my surprise the ones I found today had Made In Singapore printed on them. Who makes these? Are they any good?

2. Is Fuji buying CD-R’s from Taiyo Yuden again? Just when it looked like the stock was running out a couple of stores suddenly had a whole pile of Fuji 50 packs that are TY. Am I just lucky, or is this a new trend?

1. The Made in Singapore discs might be manufactured by MCC. (Mitsubishi Chemicals Company.) But I don’t know for sure. They should be decent, but are probably not as good as the TYs.

2. If the Fuji CD-R package says “Made in Japan” then it is from TY. (This also applies for DVD-R, DVD+R, etc.) If it says “Made in Taiwan” then I will not buy it.

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
1. The Made in Singapore discs might be manufactured by MCC. (Mitsubishi Chemicals Company.) But I don’t know for sure. They should be decent, but are probably not as good as the TYs.

Thanks. I’ll be sticking with TY.

2. If the Fuji CD-R package says “Made in Japan” then it is from TY. (This also applies for DVD-R, DVD+R, etc.) If it says “Made in Taiwan” then I will not buy it.

I bought some and they are definitely TY. I was just surprised to see them back on the shelves since I was under the impression that Fuji wasn’t going to use them anymore.

Originally posted by smafty
I bought some and they are definitely TY. I was just surprised to see them back on the shelves since I was under the impression that Fuji wasn’t going to use them anymore.

With CD-R spindles Fuji has changed manufacturer from TY to Prodisc.
But only in the USA, as far as I know.

Here in Germany you can find Fuji CD-R spindles from TY (if you are lucky) and Ritek.
The CD-Rs in jewel cases are made by Fuji itself at its German production line.

Andy :smiley:

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]With CD-R spindles Fuji has changed manufacturer from TY to Prodisc.
But only in the USA, as far as I know.

Here in Germany you can find Fuji CD-R spindles from TY (if you are lucky) and Ritek.
The CD-Rs in jewel cases are made by Fuji itself at its German production line.

Andy :smiley: [/B]

That’s surprising, because my local Best Buy (Williston, VT) has nothing but TY Fuji spindles, albeit only in 50-packs. There was a dry spell a few months ago where you had to rummage in the back of the shelf to find TYs, but the shelves are full of 'em now. Got more than a couple stashed away in a cool dark dry closet.

Originally posted by Captain Ned
That’s surprising, because my local Best Buy (Williston, VT) has nothing but TY Fuji spindles, albeit only in 50-packs. There was a dry spell a few months ago where you had to rummage in the back of the shelf to find TYs, but the shelves are full of 'em now.

Maybe Fuji uses Prodisc AND Taiyo Yuden as manufacturer for its CD-Rs
so they don’t depend on only one supplier :confused:

When Fuji continues to use TY that would be good news for all people
in the USA :smiley:

Andy

There’s a newer 100-ct Fuji spindle at BB now that looks like Ritek.

Originally posted by smafty
[B]1. I was looking to get a 5 pack of Fuji DVD-R’s because they are the only TY discs I’ve found in any store locally. To my surprise the ones I found today had Made In Singapore printed on them. Who makes these? Are they any good?

1. Is Fuji buying CD-R’s from Taiyo Yuden again? Just when it looked like the stock was running out a couple of stores suddenly had a whole pile of Fuji 50 packs that are TY. Am I just lucky, or is this a new trend? [/B]

The Fuji CD-Rs I have bought recently (50 pack) have been TY.

The 4x Fuji DVD+Rs I have bought have all been Ricoh and I have been very happy with the quality.