A couple of LiteOn questions?

#1 I know the “w” and “s” are the different chips for the drives, but they must be different in some way, so which is the best one to get?
#2 Without any regards to the “w” or “s”, (make like it isn’t even there), which model would you choose as the best, 48125, 48126, 48246, or 52246?
#3 for question #2 if the “w” or “s” can’t be disregarded then which of the above with the “w” or “s”?

I have done some extensive searching in the forums here and there are just too many threads to pick the supposed best LiteOn because some people like certain models better than others, so can someone please help me based on the above models? I do not burn audio cd’s, just interested in game cd’s.

As has been covered in numerous threads, there is no functional difference between the W and S.
Get the cheapest “6” series drive you can find and update it with firmware to the 52246S (6S07).

I will choose 48126 because usually it’s cheapest :wink: (store don’t care it’s is 5 or 6 , they just care it’s 48-12 or 48-24 and of course 48-24 expensive than 48-12 :wink:

but they must be different in some way

Which way do U want :wink:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
As has been covered in numerous threads, there is no functional difference between the W and S.
Get the cheapest “6” series drive you can find and update it with firmware to the 52246S (6S07).

So any of the 6 series can be updated to a 52246S ? meaning either the 48126S or 48246S ?

The difference between S and W i believe someone in another thread spoke about. I believe W makes the chips on 1 of the versions and S is another company. so its just who makes the mediatek chipset

you should get the 48126S then u can flash it to a 52246S

I myself bought a 48246S because it was $103 in Australia and the 48126S was only $7 cheaper… but the 52246S was $165 … so now i have a $165 drive which i only paid $103 for :slight_smile:

the only difference is the numbers of the front of it says 48x24x48x … but who cares :slight_smile:

W = Winbond
S = ST Microelectronics

It’s just the flash producer. MediaTek produces the controller.