A Couple General Questions

I just have a few general questions that I am sure some of the more experienced would be able to help me with.

1. When using IMGBurn in read mode, is it ok to use the destination as an external harddrive? Or would it be best to simply read the ISO to the desktop, and then transfer to external harddrive?

This is an interesting question that I would like to know.

1. If one has AnyDVD running, would it be ok to go to my computer and open the the dvd-rom and simply drag the VIDEO_TS from the original to the desktop? Is this the same as ripping to the harddrive with a program such as DVD Decrypter or DVDfab Decrypter if the movie was protected.

If this is the same as ripping if you have AnyDVD I think this would be a TREMENDOUS way of burning dual layer clones.

Thank You.

The answer to both questions should be yes. An external hard drive behaves just like any other hard drive once connected, and AnyDVD circumvents copy protection on the fly so that other programs don’t have to worry about the protection.

Thank you immortal. Just a quick question, for my second question do you know how that works? What I mean is, I think that for dual layer burning, using either IMGBurn in ISO read, or doing the method of opening the drive and dragging the ORIGINAL video_ts file would be the best for way for 1:1 backups. Has anyone tried to drag and drop the video_ts file from the original?

If your aim is to create 1:1 backups of dual layer DVDs, then you should use a ripping program that preserves the layer break (such as DVD Decrypter) to create an ISO and then you can burn it with ImgBurn. ImgBurn itself doesn’t have the ability to rip video DVDs, not even unencrypted ones.

The answer to Q1 is yes.

Regards

[QUOTE=AZImmortal;1980787]If your aim is to create 1:1 backups of dual layer DVDs, then you should use a ripping program that preserves the layer break (such as DVD Decrypter) to create an ISO and then you can burn it with ImgBurn. ImgBurn itself doesn’t have the ability to rip video DVDs, not even unencrypted ones.[/QUOTE]

IMGBurn will retain the original layer break in Read mode. It auto creates and MDS file.

[QUOTE=BoSox2882;1981147]IMGBurn will retain the original layer break in Read mode. It auto creates and MDS file.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that ImgBurn didn’t have the ability to rip video DVDs at all, but I guess I was wrong.

[QUOTE=AZImmortal;1981542]I was under the impression that ImgBurn didn’t have the ability to rip video DVDs at all, but I guess I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

I believe IMGBurn’s read mode was added sometime after the program was started. LUK does a great with the program. The read feature will only work on unencrypted discs.

@ Blutach

Hello. I have a few quick questions about the external hard drive. The one I have, no matter if I drag and drop, or if I right click and hit ‘send to’, it makes a duplicate on the external hard drive and keeps the one on the desktop. Shouldn’t one of those ways move the original file off the desktop and to the external drive?

Also, for example, I have ISO files on the desktop. Is it okay to move them from desktop to external harddrive and then back and forth again? Would this do any harm?

Thank You.

Bit confused here. Are you saying it copies your disk to 2 places - the desktop and the external drive?

If you have an ISO file on the desktop and have mounted it with say D-Tools, then that is the source. ImgBurn will not destroy any source (and D-Tools would have a handle on it, anyway - you’d get one of those mysterious “file is in use by another program; please close it first” type messages). You can read the source to any drive.

As for shifting source material from the desktop to other drives, it is up to you where you keep your data. Provided your drives are in good health, you can, of course, do no harm in moving the data.

Regards

No, it doesn’t copy to both places. But, like when I have an ISO on my desktop and either drag and drop, or right click and hit send to, it makes a copy on my external, but doesn’t move the original from the desktop. Shouldn’t one of these methods move the original ISO itself and not make a copy of it on the external, just simply move the original to the external drive?

I have heard a lot about D-tools, but don’t know what it is.

So, it would be ok to shift from desktop to external more than once?

Shouldn’t one of these methods move the original ISO itself

No.

[quote=BoSox2882;1990287]No, it doesn’t copy to both places. But, like when I have an ISO on my desktop and either drag and drop, or right click and hit send to, it makes a copy on my external, but doesn’t move the original from the desktop. Shouldn’t one of these methods move the original ISO itself and not make a copy of it on the external, just simply move the original to the external drive?

I have heard a lot about D-tools, but don’t know what it is.

So, it would be ok to shift from desktop to external more than once?[/quote]
Hold the ‘Shift’ key down to move insted of copy. FWIW holding the ‘Control’ key forces a copy when it would otherwise be a move (within the same disk, for instance), too.

PS The ‘Shift’ key can also be used with the Replace? file dialog when copying or moving. ‘Shift’ and click ‘No’ to answer ‘No’ to all.

Its the same principle as when you drag and drop a file to a flash drive or a extra internal storage drive. Your original will never move by drag and drop.

Try cut and paste next time.

If you transfer files to a different folder on the same logical drive, the default is move. If you transfer to a different logical drive (and of course the external one is different physically as well as logically), the default is copy. Right click and select move.

Regards

@ Tach

There is no ‘move’ option when I right click on the ISO or Folder. After you said that I thought for sure that would be there.

Would the hold shift or cut/paste method work?

I guess follow olyteddy’s advice or use cut and paste then.

Regards

As to the anydvd question no it isn’t the same.

Here is a post James made in regards to that.

For SD (DVD) media, it is totally different. AnyDVD ripper does what CloneDVD does, but without the ability to strip titles or streams. AnyDVD ripper remasters the whole disc the way CloneDVD does.

For HD (HD-DVD, Blu-ray) media it is more or less identical to a simple file copy, the difference is that it doesn’t use the OS filesystem.

Just a few more general questions on this. I know these are kind of odd questions, but I am sure some of you know.

When moving files/folders/iso to my external harddrive by using the hold ‘shift’ key, is it ok to let go of holding shift after it starts copying, or do I need to keep holding shift for a minute?

1. Is there any problem with moving a file or folder from the C: (desktop) to an external harddrive, and vice versa several times? Or would there be any harm in having to move them back and forth?

Thanks Guys