A couple dumb questions!?

I’m a week old newbie to this DVD burning stuff so excuse my stupidity if this question is dumb.

I have two DVD players installed - one is an older DVD ROM - the other a new Sony DRU-510A burner. I tried to copy one of my DVD discs using Shrink. When I put the DVD into the new Sony it came up with a message that it wouldn’t read as it was copy protected - when I took it out and inserted it into the older ROM drive it read it perfectly. Once read it burned fine.

Question: Does this mean that older drives lack the ability to recognize ‘newer’ copy protect methods - and if so - would it be good to have one of installed in order to make doing your backups easier? Or is there another explanation for this?

Question two: In reading up on the DVD copy/author/burn process I noticed a plethora of options re: software and methods. Some methods seem pretty elaborate - such as using DVD Decryptor - TMPENC - even reauthoring using prog’s such as Maestro. Yet there are ‘quick&easy’ - like ‘Shrink’ out there. Are some of these options ‘older’ approaches reflecting the state of things a few years ago - or are they still viable choices.

For example - does programs such as ‘Shrink’ achieve the same result (but much easier) than many of these longer (numerous steps & combined prog’s) solutions - or is it a matter of quality. I’m confused as to why people would bother with these elaborate ‘solutions’ - such as TMPEnc or Maestro etc. when there are programs such as Shrink out there?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question - but what appears obvious to the experience is rarely so to the newbie - but I’m ‘learning’ fast
:bigsmile:

Thanks

Gadfly

for ur first question, can the sony rip the dvd when using dvd decrypter?

for ur second question, the more more involved methods were developed before one-click transcoders were available. when done properly, these methods will produce higher quality output; the trade-off is that they require more user intervention, knowledge, and time than the one-clicks.

Re; answer to 1st question - I’ve only tried ‘ripping’ with 'shrink - but will go back and test the Sony with Decryptor. Thanks for that idea - I have read that Decryptor does ripping other wont do - so it is good to try it out. Still - I am curious as to whether newer DVD drives are built to be more ‘sensitive’ to copy protect than older ones .

re: answer to 2nc question - thanks for that info. I though this was the case - but I wasn’t sure. I did do some ‘forum browsing/reading’ on DVD ripping/authoring etc. a couple years ago - but as I couldn’t afford a DVD burner at the time I didn’t pursue it. Now - with a DVD burner - I’ve returned to ‘learning’ about the process - and was amazed to discover ‘one step’ programs that I never knew existed. I had geared myself for a ‘trial by fire’ with the ‘older’ tools. I must say that I’m pleased to find things have changed. I’d found the older methods a bit daunting for newbies.

Thanks the info - greatly appreciated

Gadfly