A comment about VIA KT133A chipsets

vbimport

2 years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of getting a motherboard based on the VIA KT133a chipset. In Windows 2000 or XP, I had nothing but problems. I experienced IDE corruption, machine rebooting when copying large files from one IDE channel to another, halts/lockups when CD burning and AGP issues. I tried the latest VIA drivers and Microsoft VIA drivers.

Finally, after 6 months of issues, what solved ALL of my issues was a patch called “VIA PCI latency patch” by George Breese.

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#PCI

I recommend anyone using a VIA KT133a chipset to check out this URL.

Note: I have a Liteon 411s DVD burner connected to my main rig which is an nforce2 motherboard. My VIA KT133a chipset motherboard is a dedicate Linux server so I don’t use it with Windows or burning anymore.

I saw many systems with the VIAKT133A, never encountered any problems…

So maybe only people who had similar problems should test out a new bios and the patch. This patch can also cause problems by itself.

btw VIAKT133A is dead…

"I saw many systems with the VIAKT133A, never encountered any problems…

So maybe only people who had similar problems should test out a new bios and the patch. This patch can also cause problems by itself.

btw VIAKT133A is dead…"

Well stated. I guess I should preface what VIA KT133a motherboard I have. Mine is the Tyan s2390b and they had a bios update as recent as July 2003. I know Gigabyte, Asus, Abit, MSI and others retired their VIA KT133a chipset mobos a long time ago.

The “patch” didn’t solve my problem with Nero and -R dvd’s. A seperate ATA card seems to be the way to go.

Originally posted by derk

the unfortunate experience of getting a motherboard based on the VIA KT133a chipset.
I’ve had an ASUS mobo based on VIA KT133a chipset for 2 years or so w NO problems whatsoever.
But thanks for the link anyway !
This might as well be moved to G HW Forum.

Edit Creative soundcard, huh ? :wink: Thank God I have Terratec ( !)

@Dancing Beetle,

I just bought a Ultra133 IDE controller add-on PCI card and hung my 811S off of it.

No more Via Apollo 133A problems for me!

I can now burn -R’s as well as +R’s and my PI/PO error rates were cut in half.

Try it!

@jsl_blues

Thanks buddy I’ll give that a go, if I can cut the PI/PO errors in half they will look fantastic on the kprobe chart!

Originally posted by jsl_blues
[B]@Dancing Beetle,

I just bought a Ultra133 IDE controller add-on PCI card and hung my 811S off of it.

No more Via Apollo 133A problems for me!

I can now burn -R’s as well as +R’s and my PI/PO error rates were cut in half.

Try it! [/B]

Sounds great!
Via 133A here too.
Have an ide raid 133 controller card in my system but i dont know how to use it correctly i think, have an hardrive 100ata on one channel, is it just to plug it in to the other channel and go?

Sorry about the cut-in question:bow:

Well,

I already have also a secondary IDE controller, but has it’s two channels used each with a different disk, and don’t want to put a secondary device with a hard disk, so I’ll pass by now. My DVD+R/RW writings are very good PI/POs, and fast (as long as not using INFOTOOL), and for DVD-R I can always use ECDC, but have not a big interest in this format, since all my devices read ok the +R format.
… So I’ll pass for now and keep using the ApolloPro. By the way, I’ve always had George Breese’s patch installed… it improves IDE performance.

Regards
FTC

I have a comment to add to this thread. I have a via chipset and when I followed the link in the first post I discovered a file by the name of:

Memory interleave enabler for VIA chipsets

I downloaded it and discovered that my memory was not being interleaved. So I installed this patch.

WOW… I use ChickenMan’s post on main movie creation in order to make 1 disk backups of my DVDs. That process uses Cinema Craft Encoder. With this memory interleaving in place, I went from processing 16 frames per second to processing 24 frames per second.

That is a 50% increase in rate.

YMMV, but I thought this might help people out.

Hmmm… Looking at the other posts here, I may put in the IDE patch. That would let me see if the IDE performance is indeed increased.

had one years ago and the mobo fuckin sucked. it was a asus, of all brands >:

I too couldnt transfer large files without them beeing corrupted etc, you name it. the patch didnt help me back then tho

You may check this link to find some hints for solving your problem.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1076955324

If you bothered looking around you would have known that VIA solved the 686A corruption based bug ages ago. A quick visit to VIA’s web site and downloading the latest VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 does the trick. I forget in which revision they solved the 686 bug, but it dates way back.

One more thing, I had an ASUS A7V133 (KT133A) that I used for video NLE editing and extensive applications, I would transfer huge files between disks and network, files as large as 2GB at a time, dozens at a time, and never had ANY corruption issues, and I always binary comapre files I transfer.

Originally posted by Dancing Beetle
The “patch” didn’t solve my problem with Nero and -R dvd’s. A seperate ATA card seems to be the way to go.

is your writer, by any chance, a liteon dvd burner? if your answer is yes… then don’t blame it on the chipset… blame it on the writer… then you are one of us… who is in liteon dvd-r hell hehehe…

hmm… i had 4 mobos based on the kt133 chipset… the latest being iwill kk266r+ (6.1 sound and RAID) … i didn’t notice any werid things about the chipset… i sold it a few months back… it still is stable as a rock…

Originally posted by BoSkin
This might as well be moved to G HW Forum.
That’s what I thought.

Originally posted by Rimmer66
One more thing, I had an ASUS A7V133 (KT133A) that I used for video NLE editing and extensive applications, I would transfer huge files between disks and network, files as large as 2GB at a time, dozens at a time, and never had ANY corruption issues, and I always binary comapre files I transfer.

good for you, doesnt mean the bug was non-existend tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by dmmh
good for you, doesnt mean the bug was non-existend tho :stuck_out_tongue:

It WAS existant since I had the exact repro steps ! The bug was FIXED with a revision of VIA 4 in 1. VIA released a seperate 686A patch and later included it in its 4 in 1 drivers.

Anyways this chipset is dead :slight_smile: Besides the VIA chipsets have other more serious limitations particularly concerning PCI bandwidth issues. I’ve since updated and now I use a VIA KT400 based motherboard (ASUS A7V8X) and couldn’t be happier. :slight_smile:

i have a VIA KT133a too, i never had any corruption problems but i’m not very happy with its performance under W2K, can anyone recommend me a good ATA 133 pci board?

TIA

Originally posted by ssjkakaroto [B]can anyone recommend me a good ATA 133 pci board?

TIA [/B]

Any Promise card will do. Some times they come w/ retail HDs, ie, Maxtor. But I prefer the FastTrack version w/ RAID.