A bunch of DVD drives, so which one?

vbimport

Well, Ive finally decided to give up the Sony CDU4811 and get a DVD drive, along with a Lite-On 52X-24X-52X.

Id love to get the Lite-On 16X, however with the impending SafeDisc 2.9 (and SafeDisc 3.X etc, etc) Im not to sure about the Lite-On DVD at the moment.

I want it to be a good subchannel reader so that the copy protections the LTR-52246S struggles with, the DVD drive will be happy-to-do-thank-you-very-much . :wink:

The contenders are:
Lite-On 16X
Asus 16X
Pioneer 16X (Tray)
Pioneer 16X (Slot)
Sony 16X

With all this in mind, I was leaning towards either the Asus or the Pioneer slot, cos its different :smiley:

So, do any of you have any of these drives? And if so could you please reccomend one. (Pros:Cons if you would be so kind). I did a little research on what people have, and so far all Ive seen from the list is the Lite-On.

Thank you.

Unless you like really really loud (out right obnoxious) drives, skip the Pioneer drives. Yes the slot load version looks pretty cool, but there’s no way there’s not way to get the disc out if the power goes out or the drive died because there’s not ejection hole.

Your choices are either the Lite-On or Asus. Both does pretty much the same thing, so get which ever’s cheaper.

SafeDisc 2.9/3.0 will not affect LiteOn DVD readers, but burners. Buy the 166S drive from JLMS (LiteOn), its an hell of a drive.

I have Asus E616 but i am not very happy with the reading of audio cds and cd-rs. Is is ok for dvds.

Also it doesn 't support c2 errors and is loud. The quality is very good on the other hand.

It is not recomented for protected cds. [I had the 52x Asus cd-rom and it was better for that]

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, the Lite-On 16X is on the order list. :bigsmile:

i think lite-on is your best choice

Me too :bigsmile:

Definitely go for the LITE-ON DVD 16X (XJ-HD166S) I have it and it works fantastic

:cool:

Originally posted by panos
[B]I have Asus E616 but i am not very happy with the reading of audio cds and cd-rs. Is is ok for dvds.

Also it doesn 't support c2 errors and is loud. The quality is very good on the other hand.

It is not recomented for protected cds. [I had the 52x Asus cd-rom and it was better for that]

Hope this helps. [/B]

I’ve got one of these too, here’s another anti-recommendation. Not even the Asus fans like it. They complain about the same things I did…slow recognition of CDs, slowish reading, rigid tray…

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30239&highlight=e616

1. LiteON LTD 163
    Plays backups of Safedisc 2.8.x& SecuROM 4.8.x. Blazin’ fast dae(37.2=Ave.), superior dae accuracy, blazin’ fast dvd speed (11.92x=Ave.) Firmware update “should” recognize ALL read supported features according to Nero Info Tool.

2&3) LiteON LTD 165/166

1. Asus DVD-E616
    If this drive can play backups of Safedisc 2.8.x& SecuROM 4.8.x, possible contender.

You should consider a DVD-Rom that will not only read& play backups of the latest cd protection, but also provide great dae speed, accuracy and dvd rip speed (if applicable).

Look here for more details (cd speed, dae, dvd rip speed) for the above drives.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=daeresults.php3

Shoey :cool: