A big warning to all 👮

System Mechanic has just been released as v4.0, you can trial it for 30days so I can give you the address. Now here comes the nasty jump to Sub Routine! If you try and enter a non valid serial, it executes some code, overides Admin on XP Pro and doesn’t matter what you are downloading, the program shuts windows down.

It would seem the software companies are either recruting retired hackers to protect their software or they have a genius working for them, as I have never in my life come across this nasty method :frowning:

H**t://www.iolo.c*m. Check out the site and you will see you can trial for 30 days

Intercept…no RuLeZ broken here :smiley:

This is not only the first software to do this nasty trick when a wrong serial number is entered? If I am correct CDRWin by Goldenhawk “punishes” the user if he enters in a blacklisted serial.

I think this has been implemented more widely.
That would explain why all my software keeps crashing and rebooting all the time.:bigsmile: :wink:

I downloaded this software, but am even weary to install it now :). Does it just shut the PC down or lock it also - like with a password or something?? :confused:

And how does CDRWin punish the user?? Forgot…:smiley:

And NO, I don’t use any of these products in any way/shape/form. Probably should delete the installer on my desktop ;).

It shuts down windows and any software you are running, but Windows boots back up. Make sure you have Zonealarm running at all times, the reason for which is detailed below.

FYI even if you had installed a previous version, it pulls the reg data from an encrypted file somwhere hidden away on your drive.

I tested 3 times using different names and serials which contained nice long names and it shut down each time. When my system booted up, zonealarm popped up as this program wanted to access the web to pass my previous details on from the older version! Figure that one out.

My advice would be to wait until someone can kill this routine and stop it in it’s tracks. The use of a Boolean variable(can be true or false only) regardless whats entered the flag will always be set as 1=valid. But who really knows for there could be 4/5 JSR’s which all do a self check to see if they have been tampered with!!

On a legal basis an individual who bought the software and then entered a wrong no or letter by mistake and at that time was producing a legal document etc. and then their system shut down and all work was lost, then iolo would be in deep water.

Intercept…:cop:

My mission to help others and give a good warning about the methods being used and in which software. Remember though this software does have a 30 day trial.

Originally posted by cmr2003x
And how does CDRWin punish the user?? Forgot…:smiley:

successful burns of nothing

LOL…i see. I thought it somehow disabled the program or the burning engine??? Or was this in another program? :confused:

it burns null data to the cd ;). its funny.

Disabling a computer system for any reason whatsoever is ILLEGAL , unless it’s carefully documented.

And even if it’s documented and closely written in the EULA , i seriously doubt they would have a winning case when the fit hits the shan.

Why not make more admin accounts ? :slight_smile:

And what about if i mistakenly make a typing error in my legally purchased serial key ? Or the email with the serial key is in error ? Or i am blind , the email was spoken to me and i misinterpret the speech computer ? Hmm ?

Sadly , today in lawyer-power-hungry countries there is only one solution left : Do not consume ; Do not purchase ; Do not use it.

Yeah CDRwin had that neat little trick of making you think it was writing a cd and then bam when you went to access the cd-rom, there was nothing there. A cd of blank coaster nothingness. That what the “punishment is” if you use a illegal serial

watch now they will close this thread

Naah , we just edit your posts.
Good idea Mr B!

//edit//

junk removed , sadly , it leaves nothing

//end of edit

//edit//

off topic

//end of edit//

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Disabling a computer system for any reason whatsoever is ILLEGAL , unless it’s carefully documented.

And even if it’s documented and closely written in the EULA , i seriously doubt they would have a winning case when the fit hits the shan.

Why not make more admin accounts ? :slight_smile:

And what about if i mistakenly make a typing error in my legally purchased serial key ? Or the email with the serial key is in error ? Or i am blind , the email was spoken to me and i misinterpret the speech computer ? Hmm ?

Sadly , today in lawyer-power-hungry countries there is only one solution left : Do not consume ; Do not purchase ; Do not use it. [/B]

I agree. Even if they can prove that some pirate illegally obtained the keys, the pirate can also counter-sue them for their little ‘punishment’. Both parties committed offences and in the eyes of the law, both parties are liable for punishment.

Ultimately, on the grand scheme of things, the pirate just gets a fine for illegally obtaining their key; the company gets a fine + some bad press if it goes to court. Worst come to worst, the pirate maybe goes bankrupt paying the fine. One pirate down, only a few million left to go. But the company? A bad name is hard to get rid of, never mind the fine. IMO the company has more to lose.

Most big companies have lawyers that would bury people so far in the ground it isnt funny. And not too many pirates have millions in cash just laying around to fight lawsuits…